User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Feb-14 01:45:16
Print Post

Re: Webmail and Storing E-mails Locally; how do I do it?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Last we heard fom OP, http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/t/4305415-re-web... , he said he didn't understand IMAP and couldn't follow the instructions.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Feb-14 01:57:57
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
it should have a setting somewhere to make it load when Windows loads
WLM doesn't! Nor does TB as far as I can see, does it?
D'oh! See my second edit to the post.
Of course you can always set it up manually in the [Run] section of the Registry.
Never done that. Just use the Start folder. (Or Startup, I can never remember its name). I expect that's all that does.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Feb-14 02:19:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, Startup folder will do; just got used to playing with the [Run] key of Registry.

Am busy 'exporting' my filter Rules from XP OE to W8.1 WLM. They provide no Export/Import frown. I know where they go in Registry so I tried Registry Export, massage the keys in the saved file and then Registry Import but was hindered by OE rules are stored in 1-byte chars but WLM are 2-byte chars. But am managing with a mixture of Registry transfer and manual input.

Have yet to transfer my contacts but at least they do provide an Export/Import.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vimto_girl
(member) Fri 14-Feb-14 09:28:20
Print Post

[re: Jelly_Tussle] [link to this post]

Hi there

I see you got sorted on how to change the broadband username and password in your router.

As for your email, Windows Live Mail will configure your account as POP by default. This has the problems you are experiencing (including it has now marked your emails as read on the server). You need to setup the account again but this time manually configure it as IMAP:

Go to Accounts at the top, then click Email with the green plus symbol. A box that says 'Add your email account' should pop up. Enter your email address and password, enter a display name for outgoing emails, and make sure to check 'Make this default account' as well as 'Manually configure server settings', then click Next. On this next page, for incoming server, change Server Type to IMAP, enter mail.btinternet.com as Server Address, check requires SSL, for 'logon user name' enter your full email address again, and don't change anything else. For outgoing server information, enter mail.btinternet.com and check both boxes 'requires SSL' and 'requires authentication', then change port to 465. Then click Next and Finish.
Standard User Jelly_Tussle
(learned) Fri 14-Feb-14 16:09:50
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
Hi there

I see you got sorted on how to change the broadband username and password in your router.

As for your email, Windows Live Mail will configure your account as POP by default. This has the problems you are experiencing (including it has now marked your emails as read on the server). You need to setup the account again but this time manually configure it as IMAP:

Go to Accounts at the top, then click Email with the green plus symbol. A box that says 'Add your email account' should pop up. Enter your email address and password, enter a display name for outgoing emails, and make sure to check 'Make this default account' as well as 'Manually configure server settings', then click Next. On this next page, for incoming server, change Server Type to IMAP, enter mail.btinternet.com as Server Address, check requires SSL, for 'logon user name' enter your full email address again, and don't change anything else. For outgoing server information, enter mail.btinternet.com and check both boxes 'requires SSL' and 'requires authentication', then change port to 465. Then click Next and Finish.

I cannot thank you enough for your post!

That is exactly the sort of help I needed; a simple, clear, step by step account of what to do. I have followed your instructions and now all my 'contacts' folders and their contents have downloaded.

Thank you so much!

Funnily enough; before I changed any of the settings you mentioned; one e-mail arrived in my Live Mail Inbox but did not appear in my webmail Inbox at all. I presume that this is just fluke; but is this likely to happen from time time?
Standard User coyrls
(committed) Fri 14-Feb-14 16:52:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jelly_Tussle:
I cannot thank you enough for your post!

That is exactly the sort of help I needed; a simple, clear, step by step account of what to do. I have followed your instructions and now all my 'contacts' folders and their contents have downloaded.

Thank you so much!

Funnily enough; before I changed any of the settings you mentioned; one e-mail arrived in my Live Mail Inbox but did not appear in my webmail Inbox at all. I presume that this is just fluke; but is this likely to happen from time time?

That's the difference between POP3 and IMAP. POP3 will upload your emails to Live Mail and so you won't see them in your Webmail once they've been uploaded. IMAP will leave emails on the server and so you will see them on both Live Mail and Webmail. IMAP is the more sophisticated protocol and it will allow you to configure an email client on multiple devices (Laptop, Desktop, Phone) and will preserve a single consistent view of your emails.

One thought, if you've set up POP3 first and connected to the email server (I think you have) you will have uploaded all your emails to your Live Mail client and they will no longer be on the server or visible from Webmail. Now that you've configured IMAP, subsequent emails should stay on your email server and be visible from both Live Mail and Webmail.

Edited by coyrls (Fri 14-Feb-14 17:18:04)

Standard User vimto_girl
(member) Fri 14-Feb-14 18:37:59
Print Post

Glad to help.

Don't worry about the 'missing' web email - this should never happen once we delete the POP account in Windows Live Mail:

First, let's retrieve these missing emails. In Windows Live Mail, on your keyboard press ALT+F, then the letter O, then the letter E . A window that says Accounts should pop up, with two accounts listed. Select the account that is NOT the default account, then click on 'properties' on the right. In the new window, UN-check the option 'include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing'. Click Apply, then OK, then Close.

Now, in Windows LIve Mail, on the left you should see two accounts with their folders - the top one should be your IMAP account, the bottom one should be your POP account - click on the bottom account's Inbox and there should be your 'missing' emails. Highlight the ones you want to retrieve, then right-click and select 'Copy to Folder...' In the new pop-up window, select the Inbox folder of the top account then click OK. On the left of Live Mail, click on the Inbox of the top account and check they have copied over.

If you are satisfied that the top account has everything you need, you can now delete the bottom POP account. on your keyboard press ALT+F, then the letter O, then the letter E . A window that says Accounts should pop up, with two accounts listed. Select the account that is NOT the default account, then click 'Remove' on the right. Click OK, then close. Now press F5 which updates and syncs your emails.

Your emails should now be present in both Windows Live Mail and on the web, and will be in sync with each other.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Feb-14 19:06:42
Print Post

[re: coyrls] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by coyrls:
POP3 will upload your emails to Live Mail and so you won't see them in your Webmail once they've been uploaded.
One thought, if you've set up POP3 first and connected to the email server (I think you have) you will have uploaded all your emails to your Live Mail client and they will no longer be on the server or visible from Webmail.
Not always true! And not in OP's case.

Not true when you have configured POP3 client to leave emails on server, as OP was advised and has carried out, judging by the effects he reports.

Standard User coyrls
(committed) Sat 15-Feb-14 15:47:14
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by coyrls:
POP3 will upload your emails to Live Mail and so you won't see them in your Webmail once they've been uploaded.
One thought, if you've set up POP3 first and connected to the email server (I think you have) you will have uploaded all your emails to your Live Mail client and they will no longer be on the server or visible from Webmail.
Not always true! And not in OP's case.

Not true when you have configured POP3 client to leave emails on server, as OP was advised and has carried out, judging by the effects he reports.

I know that you can configure POP3 to leave emails on the server, however the effect he was reporting was an email arriving at his Live Mail client that was not visible from Webmail. This effect is not consistent with configuring POP3 to leave emails on the server. My point remains that IMAP would be the preferred protocol to use. Leaving emails on a POP3 server can be very confusing, as they have to be deleted in (at least) two places and the Live Mail view will not be consistent with the Webmail view if emails have been deleted at one location but not the other.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Feb-14 22:18:22
Print Post

[re: coyrls] [link to this post]

Not what OP answered when asked if his msgs were still there:
In reply to a post by Jelly_Tussle:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
To see if I'm worrying over nothing, have a look at your emails using the method you have always used. Are they still there? Or are they only in Live Mail?
My e-mails are still there; although they are now all marked as read even though I have not read them. I presume that because they are being copied to Live Mail; BT's server thinks I have read them?
That can only occur when you configure mail client to leave msgs on server.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to