User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jelly_Tussle
(learned) Wed 19-Feb-14 16:04:04
Print Post

Re: Webmail and Storing E-mails Locally; how do I do it?

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
Glad to help.

Don't worry about the 'missing' web email - this should never happen once we delete the POP account in Windows Live Mail:

First, let's retrieve these missing emails. In Windows Live Mail, on your keyboard press ALT+F, then the letter O, then the letter E . A window that says Accounts should pop up, with two accounts listed. Select the account that is NOT the default account, then click on 'properties' on the right. In the new window, UN-check the option 'include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing'. Click Apply, then OK, then Close.

Now, in Windows LIve Mail, on the left you should see two accounts with their folders - the top one should be your IMAP account, the bottom one should be your POP account - click on the bottom account's Inbox and there should be your 'missing' emails. Highlight the ones you want to retrieve, then right-click and select 'Copy to Folder...' In the new pop-up window, select the Inbox folder of the top account then click OK. On the left of Live Mail, click on the Inbox of the top account and check they have copied over.

If you are satisfied that the top account has everything you need, you can now delete the bottom POP account. on your keyboard press ALT+F, then the letter O, then the letter E . A window that says Accounts should pop up, with two accounts listed. Select the account that is NOT the default account, then click 'Remove' on the right. Click OK, then close. Now press F5 which updates and syncs your emails.

Your emails should now be present in both Windows Live Mail and on the web, and will be in sync with each other.

Apologies for my tardy reply; but I have been away for a few days and unable to post.

Many, many thanks yet again for your very helpful post. I think I followed your advice step by step and seem to have recovered most of my missing e-mails. My 'POP' account has now been deleted as you suggested.

However; for some reason; none of my 'sent' e-mails have been copied into Live Mail. They are still there on my Webmail; but none of them are in Live Mail.

Thanks again.
(learned) Tue 04-Mar-14 21:38:33
Print Post

[re: Jelly_Tussle] [link to this post]

Thank you all for your help and advice.

With a great deal of help from vimto_girl; I seem to have sorted out most of the issues with WLM. There are still some anomalies i.e. my BT Webmail 'Sent' folder has been duplicated among the sub folders and not into the 'Sent Items' folder in WLM. Its slightly annoying; but not a major problem.

I intend to set up a Plusnet e-mail address at some point. Would it be possible to also download e-mail from my Plusnet webmail to WLM as well as downloading from BT Webmail at the same time?

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Mar-14 22:24:06
Print Post

Yes, you can add as many email accounts from as many providers as you like.

If you are going to be paying for your email service consider getting yourself your own domain name and email account. That way it goes with you wherever you go. It costs me about £12 a year for my domain name and email service with 1&1, though others companies offer similar type of services at around the same sort of price. Or there's always Google mail for free which can also follow you wherever you go and is not tied to any ISP. I have a mixture of Google Mail, Live mail (MS) and my own domain email addresses which I use for different things all of which are in my WLM. All of the aforementioned email providers also offer the option of Web access to your accounts if away from your PC.

Edited by jcym (Tue 04-Mar-14 22:27:36)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(learned) Tue 04-Mar-14 23:05:07
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jcym:
Yes, you can add as many email accounts from as many providers as you like.

If you are going to be paying for your email service consider getting yourself your own domain name and email account. That way it goes with you wherever you go. It costs me about £12 a year for my domain name and email service with 1&1, though others companies offer similar type of services at around the same sort of price. Or there's always Google mail for free which can also follow you wherever you go and is not tied to any ISP. I have a mixture of Google Mail, Live mail (MS) and my own domain email addresses which I use for different things all of which are in my WLM. All of the aforementioned email providers also offer the option of Web access to your accounts if away from your PC.

Thank you.

I'm not quite sure what a 'domain name' is. Is that basically a web address for an individual that has linked e-mail facilities? That could be interesting; I'll have to find out more.

Thanks.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Mar-14 23:23:09
Print Post

Well the domain name for this site is thinkbroadband.com. You can get your own for about £2 a year. E.g. the company 1&1 I mentioned before, does a .co.uk for 1.99 a year. Though others like .com are more.

So, as an example, you could have the domain Jelly-Tussle.co.uk, but it can be anything that hasn't already been taken. You would then have an email address of 'putwhateveryouwanthere'@Jelly-Tussle.co.uk. It has to be - not _ as _ is not allowed. It is available BTW smile.

Their instant email package on top of the 1.99 a year for the domain name is £0.99/month at the moment. Add 20% VAT to both prices so you are looking at is £16.64, sorry I still have mine at a slightly lower price due to having it for a long time, hence the difference between the price above and the first price I mentioned. With that email package you could have up to five separate email addresses. Other domain name handlers offer similar packages at around the same sort of price..

The main advantage is that as long as you pay your yearly fees, it doesn't matter which ISP you go with.

Edited by jcym (Tue 04-Mar-14 23:30:07)

(learned) Wed 05-Mar-14 00:37:29
Print Post

Well the domain name for this site is thinkbroadband.com. You can get your own for about £2 a year. E.g. the company 1&1 I mentioned before, does a .co.uk for 1.99 a year. Though others like .com are more.

So, as an example, you could have the domain Jelly-Tussle.co.uk, but it can be anything that hasn't already been taken. You would then have an email address of 'putwhateveryouwanthere'@Jelly-Tussle.co.uk. It has to be - not _ as _ is not allowed. It is available BTW smile.

Their instant email package on top of the 1.99 a year for the domain name is £0.99/month at the moment. Add 20% VAT to both prices so you are looking at is £16.64, sorry I still have mine at a slightly lower price due to having it for a long time, hence the difference between the price above and the first price I mentioned. With that email package you could have up to five separate email addresses. Other domain name handlers offer similar packages at around the same sort of price..

The main advantage is that as long as you pay your yearly fees, it doesn't matter which ISP you go with.

Thanks for that clear and detailed answer.

That sounds very interesting and is something I will certainly look into.

Cheers.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Mar-14 01:24:46
Print Post

Have a read of this page, for a bit more detail.

I like Tsohost, see the link on that page, but unless you also want website hosting they are a bit more expensive than 1&1. My prices I think are a bit out of date. Tsohost Customer Service is first class.

1&1 are well thought of as well.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Mar-14 05:00:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You have an interesting and useful looking site there Robertos, I'll have to have a good browse when I have more time, in the meantime I have bookmarked it for future reference so thanks.

As you say, there are a few good providers out there and I find that the main difference between them in pricing is more often than not down to the exact details of each one's offerings and/or sign up special offers. BTW, Tsohost looks quite good and I'll have to keep them in mind for the future, though for my present needs I am happy with the basic Instant Mail package I have with 1&1 for now. Though I do like the look of Tsohost's lite cloud web hosting offering, more than enough features and resources for something I have in mind for the near future, so thanks again.

Edited by jcym (Wed 05-Mar-14 05:05:08)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Mar-14 12:42:32
Print Post

If you transfer in a domain registration, they add a year free to it. (At least, they do for .uk domains. So worth checking that at decision time).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User IanBB
(member) Wed 05-Mar-14 16:39:56
Print Post

With that email package you could have up to five separate email addresses.

Actually you have a lot more than 5 email addresses available.

With that package you get 5 named mailboxes which can be used for storage but you can have many more email addresses which can be forwarded to one of the mailboxes or another email account entirely (I'm not sure of the limit)

You can also create a catchall email address so that any email sent to your domain will be received. I use this regularly when signing up to a new site eg [email protected], [email protected] This usage also has the benefit of letting you know where somebody actually got your email address from.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to