User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Mar-14 17:22:54
Print Post

Re: Webmail and Storing E-mails Locally; how do I do it?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
1&1 are well thought of as well.

Yep, I agree. 1&1 have all their servers in Germany but in my experience this has very little impact on throughput and latency.

Oliver.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Mar-14 19:03:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Cheers, you're right, worth knowing, every little helps, as they say smile
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Mar-14 19:15:16
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

Yes, I know, I find Instant Mail a very good package at the price and, like you, really appreciate their 150 allowed aliases and the catch all feature. I have been with them for as long as I can remember with only one relatively minor issue some 5 (don't quote me) or so years ago where they had a problem at one of their data centres that lasted a few days. This caused slow or limited email access for some, though I only noticed a slight issue for less than a day. That aside I have never had any other issue with their service and have only ever needed to use their email support for the odd query, which has always been answered within 24 hours. I was just keeping it to the basics for Jelly_Tussle or my post would have run on and on, like this one smile.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jelly_Tussle
(regular) Wed 05-Mar-14 19:38:21
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

Thanks everybody for your input.

To be honest; most of the last few posts are beyond my understanding. I'll try and educate myself and hopefully make sense of things!

Cheers.
Standard User IanBB
(member) Wed 05-Mar-14 20:03:07
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

Yep, the basics that 1and1 offer would seem to meet Jelly_Tussle's requirements.

I wasn't sure if you were aware of the extra's that you can get with the basic package so apologies for posting something which you are well aware off.

Like yourself I have had virtually no problems with 1and1's service and I think the only time I contacted them was in my initial setup phase (and that was by telephone!)
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Mar-14 21:50:42
Print Post

[re: Jelly_Tussle] [link to this post]

I wouldn't worry too much about it smile. For the basics they offer an Instant Mail package that would, if you wanted it, allow up to five totally different email addresses each with a 2 GB sized mail box. In your case, initially at least smile, you would only need one.

However, what you can do is create aliases. These are email addresses with the same domain name but different beginnings. e.g.

your main address might be

[email protected]

but you could then create aliases such as

'different beginning used for particular web sites or services'@jelly-tussle.co.uk

'even another different beginning used for another particular web sites or services'@jelly-tussle.co.uk

etc. You can have up to 150 of these aliases per main email address. These are useful if you want to keep different services/sites apart for easy filtering or or to keep track of whether some of the services/sites you use which ask for an email address to use them are giving out your email addresses to SPAMmers and the like. But for your needs for now the basic package is all you need to worry about.

Catchall means that any email with an ending of your domain, i.e. the jelly-tussle.co.uk part in the above example, but with any beginning part would be caught for your later perusal. Though where you haven't created an address with a particular alias it is more likely than not that such emails are SPAM.

Other providers offer similar features in their mail packages at roughly the same sort of price.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Mar-14 21:52:19
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

No need for apologies, after all, one never knows what another knows beforehand smile and while I already knew it, others might benefit from the info.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to