User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MarkA67
(newbie) Fri 29-Mar-19 14:20:05
Print Post

4G assure SIM lock?

[link to this post]

Does anyone know of its possible to get a code for BT's 4G assure dongle? Tried putting an EE SIM card into it and it's took me to the Huawei screen asking for a code to unlock the device. BT are strictly saying no but I imagine it's just a rebranded Huawei device. Sadly there is no model number on it so I can't even buy an unlock code as I don't know what particular device I have.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 30-Mar-19 13:17:38
Print Post

Re: 4G assure SIM lock?

[re: MarkA67] [link to this post]

What is wrong with the original SIM?

and it is probably a Huawei E3372

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Sat 30-Mar-19 13:21:23)

Standard User chimpingtonuk
(learned) Sat 13-Apr-19 13:10:27
Print Post

[re: MarkA67] [link to this post]

Did you get anywhere with this? I'm in the same predicament.

I've managed to confirm that the dongle (4G assure) is definitely sim locked and BT won't do anything on the residential side. I may try business during normal business hours on monday but I suspect I'll be stone walled again.

The 4G assure is a Huawei E3372 but it's unclear which variant so far the codes I've tried for unlocking have failed and I only 7 attempts left.

I bought mine from Amazon which did come with a BT data only sim but I suspect that it's not been provisioned. Queried with the company I ordered it from but not heard anything back yet.

Edited by chimpingtonuk (Sat 13-Apr-19 13:12:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Daemon66
(member) Tue 23-Apr-19 16:07:01
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I'd assume the original SIM is not enabled/activated since BT only provide these to cover you when your fixed-line broadband is down. Once you have the device they can activate it quickly to cover any outage.

It seems there are some who'd rather not pay £30-£40 for their own device but would rather try and get around BT's locks to make use of the device BT have provided as part of their broadband package. There are also those who see any kind of lock as a challenge to be broken.

Personally I don't see the point, I'd simply use my phone.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 23-Apr-19 19:17:18
Print Post

[re: Daemon66] [link to this post]

It is, as far as I can see, permanently enabled. However, there does seem to be something in place to stop them being used as "free connections". Certainly, if I took mine away from here and tried to use it as a 4G connection, it would not work.

Potentially the BT hub is communicating via the 4G link confirming various details.

Haiving had two majopr outages, the 4G capability has been excellent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to