User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Jul-19 14:13:12
Print Post

Re: Sure Signal

[re: crule] [link to this post]

Do you have any 4G signal? The suresignal is 3G only and will only kick in when you have absolutely no coverage on 4G. Itís meant for total black spots... I suspect the device is working fine but your device is getting some 4G or seeing enough 4G even if barely usable to mean it doesnít fall onto the suresignal.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Jul-19 14:16:21
Print Post

Generally WiFi calling should activate when you have 1 bar of signal. Otherwise it tends to use the local mast as WiFi calling can be a battery drain.

This means with EE when I have eg 3 bars of service I donít use WiFi calling even with the option enabled as the standard network is adequate to support the calls etc. If you are not seeing WiFi calling with 1 bar of 4G it could be your WiFi network is not stable enough, if the data isnít consistently flowing through solid it will disable.
Standard User crule
(learned) Wed 10-Jul-19 15:41:17
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

The luxury of a 1 bar 3G signal doe not exist at home a very poor 2G 1 bar signal is all I get from vodafone and in fact looking at O2 and EE coverage maps i would not get better with them.
To get any signal that is workable I need to move much closer to the mast.
All masts are beyound line of sight from here.
Perhaps i should encourage vodafone et al to put a mast up in one of my fields!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Jul-19 15:56:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by crule:
a very poor 2G 1 bar signal is all I get from vodafone

In which case Vodafone wifi calling should easily be kicking in on your iPhone 7 and is a far better solution than the Sure Signal box.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User crule
(regular) Wed 10-Jul-19 17:55:02
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

First of all thanks for your interest
Wifi calling is enabled on my Iphone7 and Vodafone confirm that it is OK on my account. it just never cuts in. and that seems to be the problem The Router is a Billion 7800DXL it works fine with other VOIP services like Skype and also works with VPNs which I use for remote access.
I am baffled
Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Wed 10-Jul-19 17:59:16
Print Post

Doesn't the Billion firewall log have entries for what it's blocking? If you know what IP the suresignal is using, it should be easy to find out in the logs what's going on.

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Be *
Xilo / Uno
Now -> Zen and BT

Fibre is here ! FTTP smile
Standard User crule
(regular) Wed 10-Jul-19 19:12:14
Print Post

[re: fredfox] [link to this post]

Thanks
Relevant entries in the log file are:-
Jul 10 09:24:18 daemon info syslog: sending OFFER to IP:***.***.1.100, MAC:50:**:f0:6d:f8:16
Jul 10 09:24:18 daemon info syslog: sending ACK to IP:***.***.1.100, MAC:50:**:f0:6d:f8:16
Any thoughts?
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Wed 10-Jul-19 19:33:56
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Hi

Wi-Fi calling shouldn't be a battery drain at all, if anything it's the opposite, simply because less power is required to connect to a Wi-Fi point a few tens of metres away than a phone mast hundreds and hundreds of metres away. I can go 5 or 6 days connected to Wi-Fi calling without needing to charge my Pixel phone, I simply disable the mobile connection as get an appalling signal at home, so it remains on Wi-Fi Calling (unless I'm out of the house) and it hardly drains the battery, much less than the cell signal.

You need a Wi-Fi access point set up for power saving using U-APSD, all modern access points will support this. All good smart phones will offload the Wi-Fi calling VPN tasks to the Wi-Fi stack, so the phone remains asleep, with the Wi-Fi chip handling the house keeping tasks to keep the VPN alive and respond to incoming calls, all without needing the phones main CPU doing a thing.

To the OP, you may need to test with your mobile signal turned off, simply put your phone into flight mode, then just enable Wi-Fi.

Regards

Phil
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Wed 10-Jul-19 19:37:11
Print Post

Hi

That router is quite old now, and is known to have issues with Wi-Fi calling due to how it handles the VPN.

See this thread http://www.billion.uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t...

Regards

Phil
Standard User crule
(regular) Wed 10-Jul-19 19:53:40
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

Thanks
That could well be the problem however I can use a VPN to remotely connect to another system.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to