User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Mon 07-Oct-19 14:10:05
Print Post

Bt Wholesale speed test?

[link to this post]

Hi,
Why does the BT Wholesale speedtest always give the same download as TBB, but gives the upload as twice TBB?

eg TBB 37/8 and BTW 37/17

Also, sometimes it gives the download as 8 or 9 megs and shows the IP Profile as 20 for both up and downloads. I am on an 80/20 connection.

Rob.

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 64 megs now on ethernet via TPlink homeplug 200's)

Dual Yamaha AW16G user using MIDI MMC for 16 tracks
Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-Oct-19 14:26:06
Print Post

Re: Bt Wholesale speed test?

[re: RobFlet] [link to this post]

Something is decidedly odd if you are on the 80/20 Openreach product and getting 37/17 speeds on testing. I'd expect a connection capable of 17Mbps upstream to be hitting around the "maximum" 76Mbps.

The only way I could imagine this happening would be if your line had been banded at 37Mbps down, with a corresponding cap on upstream which TBB suffers from but BTW may be bypassing in some way.

Thinks .

Ah yes! The full story definitely helps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Oct-19 19:08:36
Print Post

Any line stats from the Hub?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Tue 08-Oct-19 13:50:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Like I said in my other post - initial connection was at 66/17, which over time dropped to 52/14 as more people got fttc on the cab! This was stable stats for many many YEARS! Until recently (August 2019) when the line got faults causing disconnects. These were fixed and have not seen a disconnect since. But, the line speed has not recovered even to the level with the disconnects.

Hub stuff!
6. Data rate:9129 / 40507
7. Maximum data rate:10051 / 43007
8. Noise margin:6.7 / 6.9
9. Line attenuation:29.4 / 20.5
10. Signal attenuation:29.2 / 19.3

BTW test just now says
dl 15.36 ipprofile 20
ul 8.28 ipprofile 20

Do you think these wonky reading from the BTW test indicate there's something wrong with the profiling of my line?

Rob.

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 64 megs now on ethernet via TPlink homeplug 200's)

Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Oct-19 14:00:49
Print Post

Ignore the 20Mb IP profile.
That's obviously incorrect as you are getting higher than that on speed tests.

The TBB test seem to be more accurate than the BTw tests.

37/8 is about right for your sync speeds. 37/17 is impossible.

The drop in speed over time is expected. It's called crosstalk and is the effect of other lines on the cabinet emitting interference/noise.

Those who took FTTC early are likely to notice this much more as they subscribed with little noise and got high syncs.
Then as the cabinet fills their sync is reduced by crosstalk.

For your attenuation your sync isn't out of the ordinary.

In short, the BT Wholesale speed test is garbage, broken, unreliable.
The browser used can have a huge impact on the speed it shows.

Edited by j0hn83 (Tue 08-Oct-19 14:01:12)

Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Wed 09-Oct-19 12:00:21
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thanks John,

What I just don't understand is why after many years of stable hub and decent line speeds and sync (ie around 52/14) suddenly in early August the line develops "battery contact" faults which the engineers cleared. Hub fully stable again no issues there. But, the speeds never ever recover to what they were 2 months ago!

Had a long chat with the case manager this morning. He spouted all the legal jargon to me saying they are fulfilling their contract based on the line stats, giving me the minimum speeds. Fine, but when asked why the speeds have not recovered he said that they would NEVER EVER recover now because the system has deemed the line unstable at some point. A DLM reset won't make any difference, and he cancelled the engineer visit due to day. He said it's all down to the aging BT network and nothing can be done with my line. It is what it is, won't change, only get worse, and we, BT, are doing our legal bit.

Looks like a move from BT to Virgin asap. He waived my cancellation of contract fees for my broadband and my mobiles. I won't get the "having broadband" benefits for my mobiles - £5 per month discount and double data. For me this now doubles the cost of my mobiles, so they will need to be moved to somewhere else, having just re-contracted them when the broadband line was perfectly good!

Not happy to have this hassle, but if I get better broadband and mobiles, then so be it.

Many people here have the same issues with FTTC connections, whoever their ISP. We are a large town and a village combined, most now have Virgin to their properties, so I suspect BT and others will see a big move away, rather than extra people clambering to get on a cabinet and add to the crosstalk!

Rob.

Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Oct-19 16:25:16
Print Post

The BT rep is talking out his [censored] with regards to the DLM.

Good luck with Virgin. They passed my house at the weekend and I'll be ordering them in April when my Plusnet deal is up if Virgin are live by that point.

Edited by j0hn83 (Wed 09-Oct-19 16:25:41)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 09-Oct-19 17:57:57
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
The BT rep is talking out his [censored] with regards to the DLM.
+25

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Wed 09-Oct-19 19:33:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I tried to tell him he was talking out of his ar*e but he just repeated the "legal position" with respect to delivering at or above the minimum speed for the line.

He was adamant that nothing now can be done to improve the speeds, and would not entertain the fact that it was all just fine until the line problems of two months ago which have been successfully fixed.

Just kept repeating his case manager mantra to make sure that on the recording there was no hint of them saying it could be fixed

Not good customer service for someone who has paid for his 80/10 connection since November 2011.

Rob.

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 64 megs now on ethernet via TPlink homeplug 200's) -> 2019 Virgin Media M200

Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User
  Print Thread

Jump to