User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sun 03-Nov-19 12:02:47
Print Post

Expected behaviour with BT Home Hub 5A

[link to this post]

Hi,
I usually use corporate ethernet, public wifi or my home 1 Gbps virgin broadband with an asus router, pi etc .. so some options to assist in debugging.

i'm currently at a family members place and a) have no ethernet devices attached to router (nor my mac adapter), and the router is a BT HomeHub 5 which is limited in any kind of debugging/access. So I can't check pings from router, I can't try pings from thinkbroadband, I can't do a load test, setup QOS, do extra firewall debugging, look at vddl line stats, nor does the router respond via ICMP from internet.

I am seeing intermittent slow wifi behaviour on macOS + iPhone - perhaps down to 2 Mbps/0.5 Mbps, yet at other times it is around 60/16 (as expected). I get trouble on 2.4.Ghz & 5 Ghz and have done a full HH 5A router reset.

There are basically no other devices sending significant traffic.

I'm disturbed that pings to sites like bbc.co.uk are showing erratic response times -- 8 ms some of the time but frequent excursions into many 10s/100s

Perhaps the HH5A is rubbish at queuing? Perhaps it's overloaded? Maybe the vdsl connection is bad, maybe it is just wifi that is dodgy

Any suggestions before I contact the ISP (or return with more kit to test!)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-Nov-19 12:36:42
Print Post

Re: Expected behaviour with BT Home Hub 5A

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by planetf1:
There are basically no other devices sending significant traffic.
Any suggestions before I contact the ISP (or return with more kit to test!)
Other devices receiving traffic is more likely to be the problem.

How many and what kind also matters. For example are there youngsters up in their bedrooms streaming TV, YouTube, Netflix or whatever? What about other smart TVs?

If you or anyone is sending significant traffic that can have a huge effect on any common types of downstream, as it can block the ACKs going back from those unless QoS is applied in the router.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User mnbvcxz
(member) Sun 03-Nov-19 17:38:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Try logging into homehub (password should be on back) and looking for something like troubleshooting/helpdesk page. Its not obvious but it does have a page with your connection speed and line attenuation and stuff like that.

Are there nearby neighbours? Can you see many other wifi spots? If there are lots they may be overlapping and drowning each other out...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-Nov-19 23:03:42
Print Post

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

I don't have a BT Hub. I don't have landline broadband at all. Next time try clicking the Reply button against the post you are replying to smile.

That isn't just pettiness from me. This forum is organised with threading/chaining of posts. Whether you are using threaded or flat mode, there is a link in every header to the post that it was a reply to smile. Similar to "Conversations".

Furthermore, in your options you can select to receive email notification of replies to your posts. I don't have that set, but if I had I would have received an email about it. Conversely, if the OP was relying on receiving that email to make them come back ASAP to read it, they wouldn't get that email smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User thomaswarne01
(member) Mon 04-Nov-19 14:09:15
Print Post

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

Never had great experiences with HH5A, try other kit and see what you think
i have found that they crumble under load which is odd maybe a firmware or processing issue

My Connection
BT FTTP 150/30
  Print Thread

Jump to