User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User riko
(newbie) Tue 18-Aug-20 21:16:41
Print Post

Migration to BT Broadband/ Landline issue

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Really looking for some advice about my Mums broadband/Landline with BT. She has had a BT landline and account for over 30 years. I have paid for her broadband for about 10 years. It was with Sky. I realise it’s unusual to have services with different suppliers these days, but she didn't use the internet for much and I didn't mind paying Sky.
She decided to put everything with one supplier and we chose BT as her landline was with them and I thought it would be easier. Today was migration day. I have come over to set up her hub and have found that she seems to have been connected to the wrong circuit? Dialling 17070 gives a number that is not hers. We can't call into that number or call out. Calling our old landline just rings out.

I spent about 80 minutes wait to get through to BT(I understand the wait, although the 1st person I spoke to just asked to put me on hold then transferred me back to the start of the queue!). Eventually I spoke to someone who seemed to not really understand the issue. They seemed more worried about the broadband and if it was working (it is). He has booked an Openreach visit for Thursday. I don’t see why that is needed, Mum is over 70 and not confident about having people in the house. I 'll need to take some time off and be at home for her.

Is waiting for Openreach the right thing? I tried posting on the BT Community forums but the person who replied misunderstood and thought we were migrating the number from Sky too.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Graham
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Aug-20 21:28:10
Print Post

Re: Migration to BT Broadband/ Landline issue

[re: riko] [link to this post]

Yes. Waiting is the right thing.

You can explain the issue face to face with the Openreach bod.

Standard User riko
(newbie) Tue 18-Aug-20 21:34:30
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks!

Just frustrating. She relies so much on her landline. She can't work her iPhone lol
The BT person explained that she would be charged if the fault was found to be in her house. Again this worried her. But I can't see how it would be in the house?

Thanks again!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Aug-20 21:53:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by riko:
The BT person explained that she would be charged if the fault was found to be in her house. Again this worried her. But I can't see how it would be in the house?

The change in the landline number wouldn't be caused by a fault in the house, its more likely her line was swapped with another in the chamber or cabinet by mistake.

Paul

Standard User riko
(newbie) Tue 18-Aug-20 22:52:17
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Hi Paul,

Thanks. Good to know.
I realise you may not know, but should the Openreach person who is coming on Thursday, be able to swap it back?

Thanks

Graham
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Aug-20 03:02:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by riko:
I realise you may not know, but should the Openreach person who is coming on Thursday, be able to swap it back?

I don't see why not, but Zarjaz will be able to answer that question better than me.

Paul

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Aug-20 06:03:47
Print Post

If you have a wrong number at the premises, then at least the pair gets back to the exchange... so it should be fairly simple to fix.

Standard User riko
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-20 06:18:47
Print Post

Thanks again.

To be honest it would have been better if the broadband migration had gone wrong rather than the landline. My Mum relies almost fully on the phone. Hopefully will get it sorted quickly.

Graham
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Aug-20 09:30:52
Print Post

Suspect BT has actually stopped the old number and replaced it on the same circuit with a new number as well as the broadband.

Think it may need some one remotely to resolve and recover the old number and assign to the circuit

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User riko
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-20 10:59:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If the new number worked, I wouldnt mind so much, but we can't make or receive any calls frown
Who would remotely resolve that? Would I need to contact BT again? I will explain all this to the OR engineer when he comes
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to