User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User QueenEsme
(newbie) Fri 06-Dec-19 13:35:36
Print Post

Does BT sell our information?

[link to this post]

Hey,

Bit concerned, as I've clearly just had a scam call, but they knew a lot of information about me, that I was with BT internet for one, and my full name, email address etc. How do they know all this? Surely the only way would be if BT sold them that info? It was definitely not actually BT, I doublechecked the number on google and people said it was a scam on here. How do they know all this stuff about me though? Also its my contract coming up to a year, and now I get this call, all seems very suspect to me :/

Esme
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Dec-19 15:03:49
Print Post

Re: Does BT sell our information?

[re: QueenEsme] [link to this post]

They may have got name, email address and address from a number of potential leaked sources as there is a mass of data available on the dark net.

BT service over 1/3rd of all UK customers so even by chance they would have a 1 in 3 probability that whoever they ring would be with BT - it doesn't have to be something BT have leaked.

Have you ever had the calls from companies saying they are ringing in response to you reporting a car accident? A relatively small number of people would say "yes" and yet it is presumably a large enough percentage that they can make money from scamming those that do.
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Fri 06-Dec-19 17:12:54
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I am a very active VoIP user having numbers provided by various different sources. One line was ported over to VoIP from BT. It is that line alone that receives ALL the nuisance calls. My take on this is the outsourcing of directory enquiries to various foreign countries where data security maybe an afterthought. But what do I know.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Dec-19 17:16:16
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
My take on this is the outsourcing of directory enquiries to various foreign countries where data security maybe an afterthought.

People who are not ex-directory have already lost.

Oliver.
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Fri 06-Dec-19 17:25:28
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
My take on this is the outsourcing of directory enquiries to various foreign countries where data security maybe an afterthought.

People who are not ex-directory have already lost.

Don't understand your comment. Ex directory is what it says on the tin; unless you specifically request not to be listed within directory enquiries your number can be obtained from that source.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Dec-19 17:29:52
Print Post

Don't understand your comment.

Point being, they are only outsourcing directory enquiry data to foreign countries for those people who have not opted out.

Oliver.
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Wed 11-Dec-19 12:41:46
Print Post

My take on this is the outsourcing of directory enquiries to various foreign countries where data security maybe an afterthought. But what do I know.

I think this is the main case. Didn't TalkTalk have a security breach years ago that was traced to Indian call centres?

Some ISP's won't learn, even though they know their customers prefer a UK-based customer helpline.

BT Infinity 2 - ECI Cabinet
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Dec-19 05:49:04
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
They may have got name, email address and address from a number of potential leaked sources as there is a mass of data available on the dark net.

BT service over 1/3rd of all UK customers so even by chance they would have a 1 in 3 probability that whoever they ring would be with BT - it doesn't have to be something BT have leaked.

Yeah we get a few on our landline, if its an actual person we just say they are not BT and if they are to call the correct contact number and to then hang up.
But most of the time the fake BT calls are just automated voice wanting you to press a number on the keypad, we just ignore those calls and just hang up on them.

In reply to a post by ian72:
Have you ever had the calls from companies saying they are ringing in response to you reporting a car accident? A relatively small number of people would say "yes" and yet it is presumably a large enough percentage that they can make money from scamming those that do.

I have had this type of call twice, both times they first ask how are you and then go on stating why they are phoning, I then respond in a calm voice with "How are they, and if they are ok" which they respond yes, I then say to them "this is a scam phone call and you know it and if you keep calling me you won't be ok" and then wait for about 10 seconds, to hear them hang up.

That was 3 years ago and no more of those calls.

I know I shouldn't say that, but what are they going to do.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User TrevorSP
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Dec-19 10:56:52
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

A good place to collate all these calls is the original UK "Who Called Me" site on the web.
https://who-called.co.uk/
At least then if you are quick enough you can usually see what others think about the person calling you!

Fair amount of ads, but it is a free service and has been going for ages and is relatively accurate.

IF THEY SHOW their number that is..........

Regards,
Trevor

Never forget the people who taught you about life. You should be teaching eight others; that way the world will be a better place. (Me, 2000)
Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Thu 12-Dec-19 12:41:34
Print Post

[re: QueenEsme] [link to this post]

Our (mostly elderly) community group receive many such calls and know to hang up, or better still hit the Block button if they have this facility. As far as we and other groups can tell the scammers have automatic equipment to work through lists of possibly random numbers, and the equipment connects to the operators only when the victim answers. The scammers often appear to have Indian accents, their own numbers are spoofed and BT or Openreach may be mentioned as part of the scam, not necessarily because BT is the victim's provider.

Margaret, one of our much loved members, is 87, lives alone and is a very feisty lady. Our Social Services contact told us last month that when they called her regarding a query she had made she shouted 'F --- off' and slammed the phone down. They laughed louder than anyone and said they would rather have this response than try to console an old person scammed out of their savings.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to