User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(regular) Mon 30-Dec-19 18:15:56
Print Post

Replacing BT Hub with own router on FTTP

[link to this post]

Anything I need to be aware of doing this? The connection is basic PPPoE as far as I know so should be perfectly fine.

Any weirdness with the IPv6 implementation?

Ta.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User DougM
(committed) Mon 30-Dec-19 20:36:29
Print Post

Re: Replacing BT Hub with own router on FTTP

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

I use a Fritz!Box on BT FTTP, no special configuration was required beyond entering the generic BT PPPoE username/password, and IPv6 worked out-of-the-box.

-==-
DougM
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Dec-19 21:00:52
Print Post

Using my own router (Netgear RAX200) on a BT Business FTTP line, ipv6 works without any special configuration. Also have setup Cloudflare DNS (1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1) on the router without any dramas.

No idea about BT Retail but for BT Business you use the same PPPoE credentials as those displayed in the Business Hub 6:

[email protected]
<unique password>

BT Business FTTP(oD) 330/50 -- 4+2 ONT -- Netgear RAX200

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CarlTSpeak
(regular) Tue 31-Dec-19 18:48:25
Print Post

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

Thanks Doug. As I suspected sounds like it's still just using the generic BT domain and then the information from Openreach to identify the user.

Standard User CarlTSpeak
(regular) Tue 31-Dec-19 18:50:44
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thank you. No need for the BT Business service. Given my day job I should be okay to protect my own service's performance and reliability.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Jan-20 11:38:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by CarlTSpeak:
Thank you. No need for the BT Business service. Given my day job I should be okay to protect my own service's performance and reliability.

Fair enough but I thought you wanted a static IP address & 4G Assure which is only available on their Business offering?

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,23374.msg39...

BT Business FTTP(oD) 330/50 -- 4+2 ONT -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(regular) Thu 02-Jan-20 00:14:59
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Fair enough but I thought you wanted a static IP address & 4G Assure which is only available on their Business offering?

4G Assure = using BT's router = no thanks.

Static IP issue is easy enough to work around with short TTL DNS and a daemon monitoring public IP on a server that runs 24x7x365 anyway so it's all good.

I plan on using a proprietary VM and load balancing across 2 x gigabit consumer FTTP with a backup 4G service if those both fail so all will be fine.

The only cost to me will be a 10 Gb dual-SFP+ NIC for the server and, obviously, the SFPs. It already has 4 x GbE ports so the WAN is taken care of.

I'm not a fan of having the day job cross over with the home network but in this instance it'll be more palatable than using the BT Hub.

Some time off soon makes you relax and have a little more drive to spend the relatively minimal amount of time and effort needed to do the job right.

Standard User richarddawson
(experienced) Mon 06-Jan-20 15:25:51
Print Post

not sure with the wi-fi access on the rest of BT
I left it enabled on the home hub 3, and replaced with my own.
maybe bt have realised it's not the home hub/openreach modem on the line anymore
BT wi-fi doesn't connect my mobiles on the rest of BT network/hotspots since some time after replacing the router.

maybe it's due to not fulfilling the terms of allowing public access fon access, which is an option with the home hub, but not with a 3rd party router.

but replacing is easy enough. got increased wi-fi strength and slightly quicker speeds/latency than the home hub

just use the generic username that was on the home hub.

Edited by richarddawson (Mon 06-Jan-20 15:27:58)

Standard User hamish
(newbie) Fri 24-Jan-20 11:08:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:

4G Assure = using BT's router = no thanks.

In theory it should be possible to put the BT SmartHub into Bridge mode (The manual it comes with shows that when the status light is White, it's in BridgeMode... So I'm assuming somewhere it's possible to set BridgeMode (Not that I've looked yet, mine was only connected yesterday and I have my old BB still)
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Fri 24-Jan-20 13:02:14
Print Post

The only cost to me will be a 10 Gb dual-SFP+ NIC for the server and, obviously, the SFPs. It already has 4 x GbE ports so the WAN is taken care of.

You can pick these up really cheaply on eBay (like £15 delivered). The only thing to watch out for is the HP NC523SFP cards, are qLogic based and are *NOT* supported on RHEL8 and it's derivatives. They work just fine on RHEL7 though, which is a real bummer as I have a lot of them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264502893522
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to