User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User arendall667
(member) Thu 07-May-20 23:25:38
Print Post

End of contract

[link to this post]

I moved to BT FTTC 40/10 and phone for £29.99 pcm (for 18 months then rising to about £38 from month 19) on 12th March 2019.

I have received an email today saying my contract is due to end soon with a link. When I click on the the link it takes me to the BT place an order login page.

However I do not wish to upgrade or change/add on any services. I just want to stay on exactly the same service I am on at the moment including the price increase from month 19.

Will BT stop my broadband if I don't place an order? Can I ignore this email as I don't want to change anything?

If anyone can tell me about their end of contract experiences it would be very handy in helping me to decide what to do next.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-May-20 00:17:05
Print Post

Re: End of contract

[re: arendall667] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by arendall667:
Will BT stop my broadband if I don't place an order?

No. Simply put, your service continues, your price goes up and you can leave whenever you want.

I wonder if BT are wording emails in such a way to suggest otherwise, that could be an issue if they are.

Oliver.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-May-20 08:13:44
Print Post

Do nothing, service continues, price goes up.
Your free to leave anytime at that point.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-May-20 12:00:10
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Wording will be following Ofcom guidelines

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/me...

Which does unfortunately talk about 'must be warned when their current contract is ending, and what they could save by signing up to a new deal' when the reality is it is the end of the minimum term and pricing may rise to the current standard price thereafter.

Maybe I need to a reminder article to highlight that contracts don't end just morph into standard price 30 day rolling contracts if you do nothing.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Fri 08-May-20 12:47:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If you're happy to pay BT an extra 20% per month then you don't need to do anything. Or you could call BT and ask to renew at your present rate; or join the many on this site who shop around (TBB has excellent comparison table) then call BT with lower price from a competitor. If BT won't quote a realistic price for a new contract you sign up with your new ISP who will switch without you needing to call BT further.

Either way, like automatic renewals of car/home insurance, phone contracts etc. you need to make an effort otherwise BT will be very happy to charge you as much as they can get away with.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-May-20 13:24:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

All in favour of notifications, but the guidelines should mandate an explanation as to what happens if the customer doesn't re-contract, since this could be used as a way to badger people into locking themselves in.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Fri 08-May-20 13:25:00)

Standard User mking90031
(regular) Fri 08-May-20 16:52:58
Print Post

Hi,

IMHO, I would consider shopping around as you might find that you can make a SUBSTANCIAL savings if you transfer to another provider. If you are happy paying WAY more than the service is worth then you might consider staying with your current provider after your contract ends.

I, personally, like to shop around whenever my contracts come to an end no matter who it is that I might consder leaving. The only exception is Virgin Broadband as no one else provides anywhere near the speed that I get from them. As soon as there is competition in my neck of the woods then I would look at what is out there and compare and contrast the companies.

HTH,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia 735.08 Mbps Down & 36.29 Mbps Up (according to Speed test on XBox 28/03/20)
  Print Thread

Jump to