User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Highland76
(newbie) Fri 08-May-20 15:34:45
Print Post

BT IP address

[link to this post]

For those of you on a BT residential service, how often does your dynamic IP address change, assuming you reboot your router every now & again? Just wondering if its a 'sticky' IP address or if it changes everytime the router is rebooted.
Cheers.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-May-20 17:41:02
Print Post

Re: BT IP address

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

Well if I turn off my 3rd party router for say 5 to 10 mins then turn it back on there are very good chances I will be assigned a different IP, but there has been times I got the same IP.

As for rebooting it every now and then, why would you reboot your router, the only time I reboot my router is when I change settings or update the firmware that require a reboot, other than that I just leave it alone.

I have had an IP last from 1 to +3 months if I leave it.

Paul

Standard User gc1
(regular) Sat 09-May-20 00:21:54
Print Post

Yes, the IPv4 address changes on virtually every restart of the PPP session.

The IPv6 prefix delegation is fairly sticky and quite often comes back with the same value.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Highland76
(newbie) Sat 09-May-20 00:57:36
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thanks. Router will only need to be rebooted if i update firmware or if i get a power cut. I think i will create a Netgear DDNS or no-ip account & setup this in my Netgear router, so i can point certain apps/services such as vipdnsclub to this domain rather than having to re-register my new IP address everytime.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-May-20 10:37:41
Print Post

[re: gc1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gc1:
Yes, the IPv4 address changes on virtually every restart of the PPP session.

In most cases yes, but I have had a few times where I have been given the same IP, or one of the ones I have had previously.

In reply to a post by gc1:
The IPv6 prefix delegation is fairly sticky and quite often comes back with the same value.

Well my routers DHCPv6 Client says its IPv6 Prefix will expire after a year, now not sure if this is true, but when you do a IPv6 Lookup it often comes back as stating its a Static IP.
Now if this is true or not I cannot say.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-May-20 10:49:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Highland76:
Thanks. Router will only need to be rebooted if i update firmware or if i get a power cut.

Just limit the amount of reboots / reconnects and you should be fine.

In reply to a post by Highland76:
I think i will create a Netgear DDNS or no-ip account & setup this in my Netgear router, so i can point certain apps/services such as vipdnsclub to this domain rather than having to re-register my new IP address everytime.

I set my own DDNS up on our rack server, its a bit crud at what it does, which it every 5 mins it pings a page (with credentials) on the server and if the IP is different it updates the DNS Record and in less than 60 seconds the new IP is live.

Sadly since I moved over to this new router and also where I no longer using Linux Box here to do all the DDNS Calls I have been updating by hand the changes.

I will later on since I have this new router which can run custom scripts when an event is triggered (i.e. a WAN IP change) so I should be able to call my ddns page only when the WAN IP has actually changed and not every 300 seconds (5 mins) like I am doing currently.

I just need to read up on how to do this.

Paul

Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Sat 09-May-20 11:01:29
Print Post

I have the impression that my BT HH6 reboots itself every fortnight or so, but it's only my impression from an occasional look at the stats. I certainly don't turn it off except when deep cleaning our home office, and that (blush) doesn't happen very often.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-May-20 11:33:22
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
I have the impression that my BT HH6 reboots itself every fortnight or so

That's a well known "feature" of BT routers.

Oliver.
Standard User arendall667
(member) Sat 09-May-20 12:12:17
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Find mine reboots every 14 days and 10 minutes of up time (smart hub 6A). Get a new IP address each time.

Have also found that some sites that return your IP address report 212.127.1.76 rather than the IP address reported by your router.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-May-20 17:26:51
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

When I use to use my Smart Hub, I had it last a month or two before it rebooted but I have also had it reboot after 2 weeks too.
So I think the router does tests and thinks it needs to reboot.

Not sure how the new Smart Hub 2 works like.

Paul

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to