User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User barker04
(member) Fri 05-Jun-20 10:22:08
Print Post

BT Business Hub

[link to this post]

I purchased one of these to use on my BT fibre connection as it has guest wifi.

This works well but I really want it to have a password on it . I wondered if anyone managed to work out a way to do this , either on this router (there doesnt appear to be any visible option!) or a modified one?

Many thanks in advance!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 05-Jun-20 11:13:32
Print Post

Re: BT Business Hub

[re: barker04] [link to this post]

As far as I know, you cannot put a password on the Guest WiFi.

What is annoying on the latest firmware though, is that channels can no longer be freely selected. 1, 6, 11 only whereas in te past, I have used 1, 5, 9, 13 - the small overlap worked well, now we are seeing throughput reduction with three or more WAPs on the same channel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 05-Jun-20 13:19:43
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Not being able to password it seems odd. I can understand why you can't on the FON or whatever the other thing is that is open to the public, but that surely doesn't have the bandwidth to support a fully functional guest login?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 05-Jun-20 15:00:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It is odd ... looking at my one there are two options that be turned on/off independently

1 Guest WiFi definitely no password

2. BT Public Wifi - which acts as a chargeable hotspot for anyone and free for BT Broadband customers

M H C

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Jun-20 18:06:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
but that surely doesn't have the bandwidth to support a fully functional guest login?

Traffic priority is given to the non-public SSID. As these are Hubs intended for businesses such as car showrooms and coffee shops I can see why having no password would be convenient for visitors.

Oliver.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Jun-20 20:19:24
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

There were a few coffee shops near me that use to print off on the order receipt a random unique password / code which expires after a set time period, that allowed people drinking in the shop to use their wi-fi while there.

Paul

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 06-Jun-20 00:21:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
but that surely doesn't have the bandwidth to support a fully functional guest login?

Traffic priority is given to the non-public SSID. As these are Hubs intended for businesses such as car showrooms and coffee shops I can see why having no password would be convenient for visitors.

Since when? They are provided to every BT Business Broadband customer - why would BT develop a product for such a small market and supply it to a very large one?

M H C

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Jun-20 00:45:34
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Since when? They are provided to every BT Business Broadband customer - why would BT develop a product for such a small market and supply it to a very large one?

I was just giving a couple of examples of BT Business customers for whom public wi-fi could be a useful facility. I wasn't saying these are the only types of businesses getting these Hubs, obviously many types of businesses have these Hubs, and many will not be utilising the public wi-fi facility.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 06-Jun-20 01:31:29
Print Post

I thought the public thingummy was available to anyone on BT Consumer who allowed its availability on their own BT/(& Plusnet?) connection. At about 500kbps.

Isn't it the same on BT Business? The Hub 2 seems to be available on both.

Guest network is different, presumably considerable bandwidth.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 06-Jun-20 01:32:39)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Jun-20 01:42:13
Print Post

I was sloppy with my terminology, I was referring to Guest Wi-fi. Business Hub does also have BT Wi-fi (which has access restrictions for public users).

Oliver.
  Print Thread

Jump to