User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User StuB
(committed) Wed 08-Jul-20 13:00:08
Print Post

BT Full Fibre 150 and moving house

[link to this post]

We currently have FTTC broadband with Plusnet and we're out of contract.

Recently BT have been busy and it looks like we can now get Full Fibre which is great and I'm looking at signing up for it which will start a new 24 month contract with them.

The only slight issue is we may end up moving house in the next year or so.

Can anyone tell me what happens and the costs to move with BT?

Do you maintain your contract or have to start a new one?

Would any new contract be at standard prices instead of the discount ones you often get as a new customer?

What happens if the new property doesn't have Full Fibre or potentially even FTTC, do they release you from the contract or do you have to take ADSL?

I've seen the BT moving home page https://www.bt.com/manage/moving-home/ but it doesn't seem to cover it in much detail.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Jul-20 13:07:12
Print Post

Re: BT Full Fibre 150 and moving house

[re: StuB] [link to this post]

BT will allow you to switch to an FTTC service if you move from an FTTP property.

No charge for moving home I believe.

It starts a new contract. It will be at whatever price you manage to negotiate although as you are going to be within the minimum term your ability to negotiate will be less than as a new customer.

Edited by j0hn83 (Wed 08-Jul-20 13:07:44)

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Jul-20 13:22:02
Print Post

When i worked for them it was one free house move per 12 months, and it does start a new contract term.

Edited by BuckleZ (Wed 08-Jul-20 13:22:31)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StuB
(committed) Wed 08-Jul-20 14:14:47
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, that's the kind of answer I was hoping for.

I wouldn't mind signing for a new contract providing it's not hideously expensive. I appreciate it's likely to be more than new customers would be offered.

Any idea if you'd have to go to ADSL if FTTC wasn't available. If that was the case I may look at a 4G/5G connection instead.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Wed 08-Jul-20 14:15:54
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info, if we move we'd be there for a lot longer than 12 months.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Wed 08-Jul-20 14:31:06
Print Post

I've just found this page about moving which I hadn't seen before.

https://www.bt.com/help/account-and-billing/moving-h...

Under the broadband section it says

Any term remaining on your existing broadband contract will be transferred to your new address if you take the same service there

It also says you may need to pay for a new line at the property, presumably in case there isn't one for you to take over.

It doesn't say about the contract term if you can't get the same service at the new location, presumably this is where you end up with a new contract.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Jul-20 14:51:26
Print Post

That sounds like you get the option of keeping the current contract term but you need to pay line activation fees.
That might not be applicable if you're switching from FTTP to a copper service. It's not exactly the customers fault FTTP has poor national coverage though.
I'd call the BT FTTP team and ask what happens under these circumstances.

When I moved with BT I started a new contract and there was no new line charge or activation fees. That was FTTC to FTTC (different speeds though).

So it might be that you can get the new line charge waived if you agree to a new contract?

I would assume the same rules apply whether you move from FTTP to either FTTC or ADSL. I'd be surprised if they just let you out of your contract just because FTTC isn't available so it may be that you would need to take ADSL if that was all that was available.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Thu 09-Jul-20 10:59:56
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

I spoke to BT yesterday and they said you'd be able to move without charge however the guy didn't seem completely up on everything.

I've signed up anyway as it looks like it should be possible to move even if there is a small amount of expense involved either activating a line or signing a new contract.
Standard User sparky_paul
(experienced) Thu 09-Jul-20 11:26:46
Print Post

I've just moved to BT, FTTC though. I too enquired about moving home as I'm anticipating a move in the next year or so.

It sounds like you had a very similar response to me, that I could move to another property with no charges and continuation of the existing broadband contract term. It then got a bit sketchy if the new property had no active phone line... reading between the lines, it seems to be a choice between paying for a new line, or a renewed contract, as you say.

Also, although the phone and bb are bundled as a package, I was told that moving home starts a new 12 month minimum term for the phone line only, regardless of the term left on the package. Not sure how correct that is.

>>> BTFibre 2 FTTC
Standard User StuB
(committed) Thu 09-Jul-20 11:44:58
Print Post

[re: sparky_paul] [link to this post]

The link I posted above mentions a 12 month contract for the phone but continuation of the broadband contract.

As you say it's not so clear if there is no line to take over at the new property and presumably that's where you may get caught and have to pay.

On my order I've just placed I noticed it included a £140 allowance if a new line is needed (not needed in my current case).
  Print Thread

Jump to