User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WackyZacky
(newbie) Sat 10-Oct-20 23:30:15
Print Post

BT Fibre 1 router question

[link to this post]

Hi,
I've just signed up for BT fibre 1 and was wondering what the connection on the fibre box to the router was so that I could make sure I had the correct cable available when it was fitted,
Can anyone help?

Edited by WackyZacky (Sat 10-Oct-20 23:31:20)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 10-Oct-20 23:51:40
Print Post

Re: BT Fibre 1 router question

[re: WackyZacky] [link to this post]

FTTC or FTTP?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Oct-20 13:44:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If talking FTTP and fibre box is an ONT then its an Ethernet cable and one is supplied with the router from BT. If this is not long enough then a CAT5E or better cable of the right length will suffice

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WackyZacky
(newbie) Tue 13-Oct-20 00:07:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies,

It is FTTP, as far as I know there will be a box on the outside wall and a powered box on the inside wall. the only place it can go near a mains socket is about 10 feet away from the PCs and the current router. I have a cable from the box fitted by BT for Plusnet to the Plusnet router and then to the PCs.

Gerald
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Oct-20 01:00:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by WackyZacky:
I have a cable from the box fitted by BT for Plusnet to the Plusnet router and then to the PCs.
Is this new, or is that box an FTTC modem?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Oct-20 12:19:17
Print Post

My bet is the box is referring to the phone master socket

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Oct-20 12:53:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

D'oh!

Very probably blush.

(My reason for asking was if he was already on FTTC the box would have been one of the modems, and completely redundant with FTTC. AIUI BT Fibre 1 can be either of FTTC and P?)

========================
Standard User WackyZacky
(newbie) Wed 14-Oct-20 23:17:04
Print Post

Fifty years ago I worked for GPO telephones, it is not the master socket. The master socket has a short lead to a powered box then a longer lead to the Plusnet router. In a letter I was sent it stated that a small box would be fitted outside then a hole drilled into the wall for a lead to a powered box but it did not mention what kind of box it was. I rang BT Customer Services but the lady I spoke to did not seem to have any idea as to what was involved.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 15-Oct-20 01:02:04
Print Post

That sounds like you are getting FTTP. For the broadband the first piece of your equipment will be a new BT SmartHub assuming you are willing to use one rather than what you have.

If the specific BT Product you clicked on, assuming you ordered online, referred to Digital Voice, then the whole copper side becomes redundant, with AIUI your number being retained. If it referred to (IIRC) Standard Voice you will retain the existing landline phone service. Your order confirmation email I expect will tell you.

The powered box she referred to will be mounted on a wall near to an existing power socket, to some extent at a place of your choice. It's an ONT (Optical Network Terminator) as Andrew said, converting the optical signal to ethernet as a normal modem converts an analogue one.

========================

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 15-Oct-20 01:03:22)

Standard User abductedcraig
(newbie) Thu 15-Oct-20 14:00:25
Print Post

I was told when ordering that a cable would be fitted by BT from the Fibre box thing to the Smart Hub 2.

The BT guy looked at me like I ask him for a date with his wife.
Told me to buy a 3 metre network cable on Amazon.

He said due to the virus he wasn’t allowed to install one.
I even asked if he could leave a cable and I would do it myself.
Only to be told they don’t carry any network cables longer than 1 metre.
This was with 2 BT vans and 3 guys in the house...... yeah right.

Anyway ordered the cable that he told me to only to find out it was 4 metres that was needed.

Long story short. The lazy git installed the fibre and left the Hub on the floor.

BT Broadband - Full Fibre 100 Halo 1
smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to