User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Nudzbro
(newbie) Thu 15-Oct-20 14:09:06
Print Post

Router recommendations

[link to this post]

I have just had the BT 900 FTTP installed with the Openreach ONT, could anyone direct me to a Router that could have better coverage than the BT Smart Hub 2?
Standard User TrevorSP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Oct-20 17:25:01
Print Post

Re: Router recommendations

[re: Nudzbro] [link to this post]

I have a BT Hub 6A and am looking for a replacement for it as well!

There are so many things I don't like about it, not just the fact that I dislike the GUI, or the lack of information it gives you and I hate the fact you can't turn off the BT Sharing part as well.
Normally I wouldn't turn it off as I use the service when I am out and about, but I would like the choice, as we used to have.

Regards,
Trevor

BT 80/20 and Mobile phone package. Happy with both
"Aquila non capit muscas uel timet latrantem canem"
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Thu 15-Oct-20 17:43:06
Print Post

If money is no object, then any one of the Asus RT-AX88U, Netgear RAX120 or RAX200 are perfect. The Asus was on an Amazon Prime deal for only £209.99 until yesterday, I think its gone back up to £280+ now. I'm getting around 900 Mbps on wifi 6 on my Netgear RAX200, wifi 5 speeds are 600+ Mbps.

If you want something a big cheaper then the Asus RT-AC86U, AC88U, Netgear R7800, R8000P or R9000 are good options.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Highland76 (Thu 15-Oct-20 17:45:37)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 15-Oct-20 18:22:00
Print Post

That device is an excellent router for most consumer users. What extra editing routing functions do you need?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Thu 15-Oct-20 21:01:55
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Highland76:
If money is no object, then any one of the Asus RT-AX88U, Netgear RAX120 or RAX200 are perfect.

+1
Heard nothing but good things about all three of those quoted.

So much so I bought one myself. grin

BTBroadband
Standard User Nudzbro
(newbie) Mon 26-Oct-20 12:37:22
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

Just got the Asus RT-AX88U in place of the BT Smart Hub 2, so much better even on AC, I have a few items that use AX and seeing a huge increase in both Ethernet and especially on Wifi 6.

Thanks for the recommendations
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Mon 26-Oct-20 12:51:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by Nudzbro:
Just got the Asus RT-AX88U in place of the BT Smart Hub 2, so much better even on AC, I have a few items that use AX and seeing a huge increase in both Ethernet and especially on Wifi 6.

Welcome to the world of Wifi 6 smile

Mind you, Wifi 6E is just around the corner with the release of this tri-band beast from Asus in December 2020.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Oct-20 15:47:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by Nudzbro:

Nice smile

We currently use a MikroTik Tik RB4011iGS+RM for our router which needed to be all setup (firewall, routing etc) and an Ubiquiti UniFi nanoHD Access Point for our Wi-Fi.
I decided to separate the router and Wi-Fi so that I can upgrade one bit without messing up the other.

Our router has no problems handling the full 934Mbps down, 119Mbps up and that was only using just under 25% CPU in the router running with a custom firewall rules and routing.

Also having separate router and AP allows for us to have our router in a more suitable location and the AP mounted on the wall or celling where it needs to be to get best coverage.

Paul

Standard User derekdel
(committed) Mon 26-Oct-20 21:12:45
Print Post

Do you plug the Asus RT-AX88U Directly into the ONT on the wall removing the BT hub all together? I had Asus router before & I loved it.
Standard User busterboy
(committed) Tue 27-Oct-20 08:03:08
Print Post

[re: derekdel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by derekdel:
Do you plug the Asus RT-AX88U Directly into the ONT on the wall removing the BT hub all together? I had Asus router before & I loved it.

With FTTP yes.

BTBroadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to