User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bobby_Valentino
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-Jan-21 00:44:01
Print Post

New FTTC Installation (Hardware question)

[link to this post]

Hi

What's the latest procedure these days when ordering BT FTTC (up to 80mbps) broadband these days in terms of the hardware that's sent out?

Do they still ship out the HG612 dedicated FTTC modem that then attaches to the router via ethernet? Or have they moved on to just shipping out an integrated VDSL integrated router?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 12-Jan-21 10:33:51
Print Post

Re: New FTTC Installation (Hardware question)

[re: Bobby_Valentino] [link to this post]

The HG612 was provided by Openreach, not the ISP. They stopped doing that several years ago.

You now get a VDSL2 router from your chosen ISP. Depending on what it is, it may or may not work with your next ISP, which will usually provide one to replace it.

With BT and Sky they are free, and AIUI the BT one is returnable. I don't know about the Sky one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 12-Jan-21 10:37:10)

Standard User Bobby_Valentino
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Jan-21 23:39:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The HG612 was provided by Openreach, not the ISP. They stopped doing that several years ago.

You now get a VDSL2 router from your chosen ISP. Depending on what it is, it may or may not work with your next ISP, which will usually provide one to replace it.

With BT and Sky they are free, and AIUI the BT one is returnable. I don't know about the Sky one.

Thanks RobertoS for that response. Do you happen to know the model BT provide for their FTTC customers?

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Bobby_Valentino (Wed 13-Jan-21 23:42:24)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 14-Jan-21 00:16:29
Print Post

I think it depends on whether you go for the Digital Voice products they seem to be pushing you towards now, or you may have to scroll down the pages and click any "more" type buttons to see the copper voice line options.

You should be able to see relevant threads if you change the "Show threads active in" option to one or two months.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Jan-21 15:57:59
Print Post

A Smart Hub 2 will be provided.
  Print Thread

Jump to