Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 24-Apr-12 22:37:22
Print Post

Re: A naughty thought

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

What's too slow? The processor for the routing, or the bog standard unmodified LAN1 on the locked firmware?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(newbie) Tue 24-Apr-12 22:39:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The processor for the routing. It tops out at about ~60mbps even with QoS and firewall off.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 24-Apr-12 23:28:02
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

Thanks. Bad news, but worth knowing smile.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User randalf72
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-12 08:44:39
Print Post

Re: Plusnet FTTC Router question

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The Plusnet-supplied router comes with two pages of useful info from Plusnet. Including the login details you need. The username is your PN account username followed by @plusdsl.net. The password is your account password. Easy smile.

I have ditched mine and reverted to my Buffalo Airstation I bought for use on IDNet FTTC, as I primarily use wireless and in my (metal frame) house the PN one is poor.

Re power sockets, there is nothing to stop you using a multi-point power extension cable.

Given the info already posted, plus this, is there no way you can conveniently arrange things? Summarising: the modem can be up to 30m from the master socket, and requires a power socket, and the router can be up to 100m from the modem.

Plus! Wherever you put those two, with a few setting adjustments you should be able to connect your existing router to the Plusnet one via ethernet, giving you a further 100m to play with, and a second wireless access point if that is any use. You lose two of the ethernet ports of course, so a total of six. But the wireless may be usable for some of your kit in that setup.

Edit - I forgot, you have the gigabit switch. That fits in easily as well or instead smile.
Also I have a single power socket in our spare room, with a power extension cable round to the diagonally opposite corner where there are three 4-way extension sockets on it. At the moment powering a DECT base unit, one or both of my routers, FTTC modem, network disc, printer, shredder.

Thank you for the suggestions. Certainly I was unaware of exactly what plusnet supply by ways of documentation and I was a touch concerned that they may bury some essential info in the firmware ala Sky

Currently I have a extension cable from the master socket (due to there being no power conveniently close) and the bb modem/router is currently by the TV.

The router is connected by a hard wired cat 6 ethernet cable to the upstairs gigabit switch that handles a NAS, PC and printer.

One of the three remaining ports on the router goes to another gigabit switch that handles the TV, BluRay, SkyBox and console.

I've already got a power extension lead there but due to my house being pretty old and it's probably within a couple of years of a rewire being necessary I'm running a lot through a single power socket. Hence the concern about minimizing power usage.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 25-Apr-12 17:11:43
Print Post

Re: Plusnet FTTC Router question

[re: randalf72] [link to this post]

The power rating on the OR modem is 1A at 12V. The power rating of the PSU-plug is input 100-240V 500mA and output 1A at 12V.

It sounds like the data extension cable will need installing, to get the modem to there. Then your new router connects to the two switches as now.

However I'm rather unhappy about the TV being so close.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 25-Apr-12 17:14:25)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to