Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Irby
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Jul-14 16:46:07
Print Post

Re: VDSL wireless modem

[re: michty_me] [link to this post]

I think you almost certainly are confused, need to be careful about the model numbers RT = router and DSL = indicates an on board modem in ASUS naming conventions.

Irby cabinet locations - http://tinyurl.com/irbycabinets
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Jul-14 17:51:35
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Oh, Cisco 887va also does the job but due to only having 802.11n 2.4Ghz and being CLI only it isn't really aimed at home use.
Routers in the 887VA series also don't have gigabit ethernet, only fast ethernet. Not a problem for me as I only use them for routing with separate firewall and wireless hardware.

The Draytek V2860n+ offers simultaneous dual band wireless and works very well unless you want to run multiple VLANs, in which case it doesn't work.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User michty_me
(regular) Sun 06-Jul-14 18:08:00
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Oh, Cisco 887va also does the job but due to only having 802.11n 2.4Ghz and being CLI only it isn't really aimed at home use.
Routers in the 887VA series also don't have gigabit ethernet, only fast ethernet. Not a problem for me as I only use them for routing with separate firewall and wireless hardware.

The Draytek V2860n+ offers simultaneous dual band wireless and works very well unless you want to run multiple VLANs, in which case it doesn't work.

You are all correct, I done a google search for DSL-AC68U and clicked on the ebuyer link, It did infact show the RT-AC68U. My apologies. Overclockers forum shows that they will be available in the UK towards the end of this month.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Jul-14 18:26:21
Print Post

Hehe, did they not come up with a solution to that problem in the end? A bit disappointing...

AAISP Home::1
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Jul-14 21:46:38
Print Post

No, I'm still waiting frown

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Jul-14 22:11:42
Print Post

No, I'm still waiting frown

Have they sent you any beta firmware? I am running a beta but a 3.3.4.2 RC3 has been posted to the Draytek forum in the past few days which I think is their latest effort. I also found a bug in something which they are working on too..

Putting that aside I am pleased with the router..

Ironically after asking about the 887va on here I've since been bumping into them all over the place and doing bits of config here and there.... But I think the Draytek was the right thing for use at home for what I need.. and I must admit I do like the Draytek web interface smile

Edited by Pipexer (Sun 06-Jul-14 22:12:14)

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Jul-14 23:06:46
Print Post

I was given access to beta firmware at the end of April and it didn't resolve the problem. It shifted the packet loss from the wired interfaces to the wireless interfaces which was even worse.

Sarah

--

Standard User rhetherington
(member) Mon 07-Jul-14 15:35:38
Print Post

[re: michty_me] [link to this post]

After suffering a Draytek 2820vn for two years i'd never recommend a Draytek for anything. In the time i had it Draytek must have released 20 or 30 firmware versions and every single one of them was buggy or broken in some way. Maybe the 2860n is more stable, but i wouldn't want to be paying a premium for one considering my experience with the 2820vn.

In the end i did the exact opposite of you and split my components into a modem and router. I ended up having to use another Draytek (120. A very simple ADSL modem that took PPPoE in on the router side and spat PPPoA out on the phone line) with an ASUS RT-n16 running Tomato.

When the time came for my FTTC connection i only needed to switch out the Draytek 120 modem for the Openreach VDSL2 modem and change the PPPoE username/password in my RT-n16. I was up and running with all my existing network setup remaining the same.

I'd never want to go back to a combined modem/router. Why do you want to?

The Openreach VDSL2 modems are cheap and plentiful (i got a couple of backups, new, for £15 on eBay), and using a standard router gives much greater choice in models, features, and ability to customise using a 3rd-party open-source firmware.
Standard User michty_me
(regular) Mon 07-Jul-14 20:13:15
Print Post

[re: rhetherington] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rhetherington:
After suffering a Draytek 2820vn for two years i'd never recommend a Draytek for anything. In the time i had it Draytek must have released 20 or 30 firmware versions and every single one of them was buggy or broken in some way. Maybe the 2860n is more stable, but i wouldn't want to be paying a premium for one considering my experience with the 2820vn.

In the end i did the exact opposite of you and split my components into a modem and router. I ended up having to use another Draytek (120. A very simple ADSL modem that took PPPoE in on the router side and spat PPPoA out on the phone line) with an ASUS RT-n16 running Tomato.

When the time came for my FTTC connection i only needed to switch out the Draytek 120 modem for the Openreach VDSL2 modem and change the PPPoE username/password in my RT-n16. I was up and running with all my existing network setup remaining the same.

I'd never want to go back to a combined modem/router. Why do you want to?

The Openreach VDSL2 modems are cheap and plentiful (i got a couple of backups, new, for £15 on eBay), and using a standard router gives much greater choice in models, features, and ability to customise using a 3rd-party open-source firmware.

I just prefer the non-clutter of having multiple items. If I could do away with the cabling and extra box then in my eyes that is a bonus. I think my best option at present is to hang fire with what I have until other items are released and proven by others. No point in being the test dummy especially when most VDSL modem combos are in excess of £150.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Jul-14 18:50:37
Print Post

[re: rhetherington] [link to this post]

Strange I had a 2820Vn for around 5 years and had no problems... Any memorable issues?

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to