Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User michty_me
(regular) Sat 05-Jul-14 15:58:58
Print Post

VDSL wireless modem

[link to this post]

Hey all, Is there much available for a router modem combo for VDSL at the moment?
I'm looking to get rid of my Billion 7800DX and separate modem.

I've heard the Draytek Vigor 2860n has a VDSL capable modem. I've also heard the RT-AC66U is capable. Is that correct? Any others?
I quite like the Asus stuff so if they had other ones, I would seriously consider them.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Jul-14 16:21:21
Print Post

Re: VDSL wireless modem

[re: michty_me] [link to this post]

I can recommend the Draytek 2860 - its good stuff.

AAISP Home::1
Standard User michty_me
(regular) Sat 05-Jul-14 16:27:33
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
I can recommend the Draytek 2860 - its good stuff.

That seems to be the one I have seen mostly recommended. How is the interface on the Draytek, I must admit I get a bit lost on the Billion sometimes.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Jul-14 17:45:41
Print Post

A lot of people don't like it but I think the Draytek interface is awesome. It hasn't changed for 6+ years (since the 2820 came out) and once you know where the options are you can get round it in no time. It is also very responsive, not laggy like some router web interfaces. The 2860 also has a nice feature to stop auto logout of the web interface which is useful if you want to leave it open for a few hours.

Have a play with it here: http://tw.draytek.com:12860/

Standard User michty_me
(regular) Sat 05-Jul-14 18:09:27
Print Post

A lot of people don't like it but I think the Draytek interface is awesome. It hasn't changed for 6+ years (since the 2820 came out) and once you know where the options are you can get round it in no time. It is also very responsive, not laggy like some router web interfaces. The 2860 also has a nice feature to stop auto logout of the web interface which is useful if you want to leave it open for a few hours.

Have a play with it here: http://tw.draytek.com:12860/

Ah nice one! I'll go have a play about!

I stumbled across this list of VDSL wifi modems.

Draytek 2760n 2860
Fritzbox 7390 7490
Asus DSL-N66U
Asus DSL-AC68U
Cisco 887VA ISR
HH3
HH5
Billion 8200
Technicolor TG589
TechnicolorTG672

Anyone tried the ASUS DSL-AC68U?
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Jul-14 18:18:27
Print Post

Oh, Cisco 887va also does the job but due to only having 802.11n 2.4Ghz and being CLI only it isn't really aimed at home use.

Standard User michty_me
(regular) Sat 05-Jul-14 21:57:18
Print Post

Looks like I may sway towards the Asus DSL-AC68U. It seems to be getting brilliant reviews at the minute.
Standard User Irby
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Jul-14 14:22:48
Print Post

Where do you plan on buying it? Are you in the UK, as I don't think they're on sale here yet.
Standard User michty_me
(regular) Sun 06-Jul-14 14:37:45
Print Post

[re: Irby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Irby:
Where do you plan on buying it? Are you in the UK, as I don't think they're on sale here yet.

Yeah I'm in the UK. Ebuyer has them in stock along with dabs etc.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sun 06-Jul-14 16:09:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by michty_me:
In reply to a post by Irby:

Yeah I'm in the UK. Ebuyer has them in stock along with dabs etc.

Hi
Could you provide a link where you've seen the Asus DSL-AC68U for sale in UK? Unless you're referring to the Asus RT-AC68U which does NOT have a VDSL modem and is a router only?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps
Powered by Linksys EA6900
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 06-Jul-14 16:11:20)

Standard User Irby
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Jul-14 16:46:07
Print Post

I think you almost certainly are confused, need to be careful about the model numbers RT = router and DSL = indicates an on board modem in ASUS naming conventions.

Irby cabinet locations - http://tinyurl.com/irbycabinets
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Jul-14 17:51:35
Print Post

Oh, Cisco 887va also does the job but due to only having 802.11n 2.4Ghz and being CLI only it isn't really aimed at home use.
Routers in the 887VA series also don't have gigabit ethernet, only fast ethernet. Not a problem for me as I only use them for routing with separate firewall and wireless hardware.

The Draytek V2860n+ offers simultaneous dual band wireless and works very well unless you want to run multiple VLANs, in which case it doesn't work.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User michty_me
(regular) Sun 06-Jul-14 18:08:00
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
Routers in the 887VA series also don't have gigabit ethernet, only fast ethernet. Not a problem for me as I only use them for routing with separate firewall and wireless hardware.

The Draytek V2860n+ offers simultaneous dual band wireless and works very well unless you want to run multiple VLANs, in which case it doesn't work.

You are all correct, I done a google search for DSL-AC68U and clicked on the ebuyer link, It did infact show the RT-AC68U. My apologies. Overclockers forum shows that they will be available in the UK towards the end of this month.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Jul-14 18:26:21
Print Post

Hehe, did they not come up with a solution to that problem in the end? A bit disappointing...

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Jul-14 21:46:38
Print Post

No, I'm still waiting frown

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Jul-14 22:11:42
Print Post

No, I'm still waiting frown

Have they sent you any beta firmware? I am running a beta but a 3.3.4.2 RC3 has been posted to the Draytek forum in the past few days which I think is their latest effort. I also found a bug in something which they are working on too..

Putting that aside I am pleased with the router..

Ironically after asking about the 887va on here I've since been bumping into them all over the place and doing bits of config here and there.... But I think the Draytek was the right thing for use at home for what I need.. and I must admit I do like the Draytek web interface smile

Edited by Pipexer (Sun 06-Jul-14 22:12:14)

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Jul-14 23:06:46
Print Post

I was given access to beta firmware at the end of April and it didn't resolve the problem. It shifted the packet loss from the wired interfaces to the wireless interfaces which was even worse.

Sarah

--

Standard User rhetherington
(member) Mon 07-Jul-14 15:35:38
Print Post

After suffering a Draytek 2820vn for two years i'd never recommend a Draytek for anything. In the time i had it Draytek must have released 20 or 30 firmware versions and every single one of them was buggy or broken in some way. Maybe the 2860n is more stable, but i wouldn't want to be paying a premium for one considering my experience with the 2820vn.

In the end i did the exact opposite of you and split my components into a modem and router. I ended up having to use another Draytek (120. A very simple ADSL modem that took PPPoE in on the router side and spat PPPoA out on the phone line) with an ASUS RT-n16 running Tomato.

When the time came for my FTTC connection i only needed to switch out the Draytek 120 modem for the Openreach VDSL2 modem and change the PPPoE username/password in my RT-n16. I was up and running with all my existing network setup remaining the same.

I'd never want to go back to a combined modem/router. Why do you want to?

The Openreach VDSL2 modems are cheap and plentiful (i got a couple of backups, new, for £15 on eBay), and using a standard router gives much greater choice in models, features, and ability to customise using a 3rd-party open-source firmware.
Standard User michty_me
(regular) Mon 07-Jul-14 20:13:15
Print Post

[re: rhetherington] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rhetherington:
After suffering a Draytek 2820vn for two years i'd never recommend a Draytek for anything. In the time i had it Draytek must have released 20 or 30 firmware versions and every single one of them was buggy or broken in some way. Maybe the 2860n is more stable, but i wouldn't want to be paying a premium for one considering my experience with the 2820vn.

In the end i did the exact opposite of you and split my components into a modem and router. I ended up having to use another Draytek (120. A very simple ADSL modem that took PPPoE in on the router side and spat PPPoA out on the phone line) with an ASUS RT-n16 running Tomato.

When the time came for my FTTC connection i only needed to switch out the Draytek 120 modem for the Openreach VDSL2 modem and change the PPPoE username/password in my RT-n16. I was up and running with all my existing network setup remaining the same.

I'd never want to go back to a combined modem/router. Why do you want to?

The Openreach VDSL2 modems are cheap and plentiful (i got a couple of backups, new, for £15 on eBay), and using a standard router gives much greater choice in models, features, and ability to customise using a 3rd-party open-source firmware.

I just prefer the non-clutter of having multiple items. If I could do away with the cabling and extra box then in my eyes that is a bonus. I think my best option at present is to hang fire with what I have until other items are released and proven by others. No point in being the test dummy especially when most VDSL modem combos are in excess of £150.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Jul-14 18:50:37
Print Post

[re: rhetherington] [link to this post]

Strange I had a 2820Vn for around 5 years and had no problems... Any memorable issues?

Standard User rhetherington
(member) Wed 09-Jul-14 21:49:02
Print Post

I got rid of it around 4 years ago so can't really remember specifics.

I'm pretty sure there was a problem with using VoIP, both built-in and a separate SIP phone. And i *think* there was something to do with ICMP at some point.

I'm fairly certain that i eventually got frustrated enough to just dump the thing when Draytek fixed something that had been broken for ages, but in the same firmware broke something else i relied on and didn't fix it for the rest of the time i used the device.

I think i bought the 2820vn right after release so some bugs were to be expected, but i had it for over two years and Draytek weren't able to fix things, which was really unacceptable for such an expensive, supposedly business-class device.

After that i swore that never again would i buy a router that could not be flashed with an open-source firmware.

Bought an Asus RT-n16 and flashed TomatoUSB on it. Everything "just worked" and was only out about £30 after selling the 2820vn to someone that wanted one.
Standard User troublegum
(newbie) Thu 10-Jul-14 20:00:07
Print Post

Hey all, Is there much available for a router modem combo for VDSL at the moment?

I've heard the Draytek Vigor 2860n has a VDSL capable modem. I've also heard the RT-AC66U is capable. Is that correct? Any others?
I quite like the Asus stuff so if they had other ones, I would seriously consider them.

If you got on ok with the Billion, what about the Billion 8800NL?
Standard User michty_me
(regular) Thu 10-Jul-14 20:28:57
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by troublegum:

If you got on ok with the Billion, what about the Billion 8800NL?

It didn't really get too good reviews. I'm tempted just to leave the current setup and wait until there are more proven ones on the go and maybe look into it again in 6 months or so.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 10-Jul-14 23:30:37
Print Post

It didn't really get too good reviews. I'm tempted just to leave the current setup and wait until there are more proven ones on the go and maybe look into it again in 6 months or so.

A Huawei HG612 from ebay and a separate router (e.g. Asus RT-AC68U or RT-N66U or the TPLink equivalents) is worth exploring.

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Standard User michty_me
(member) Thu 17-Jul-14 09:55:28
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

A Huawei HG612 from ebay and a separate router (e.g. Asus RT-AC68U or RT-N66U or the TPLink equivalents) is worth exploring.

I may go down a cheap wifi router sooner rather than later.

I had my original setup right next to the fibre modem for a few weeks and it seemed to work OK but have since relocated the Billion to my back room which is fed by a 10M Belkin CAT5e cable from the fibre modem.
Since I have relocated this, The WiFi connection keeps dropping out on my PS3 now. In the original location, It would briefly drop on my Nexus 5 also. Now all are dropping just for a split second.

Compared to my old BeBox used on ADSL2+ (Which was stored in a cupboard) the WiFi signal is about half.
My BeBox would give 100% signal tucked away in the cupboard, Infact I could even pick up the signal in my flat carpark and out the back of my local pub it was that strong.

The Billion signal is sitting at 60% in a clear line of sight about 5m away from the PS3.

Now what I have tried so far is changing the wifi channels and resetting the router. Installed the latest firmware and again with factory settings to setup from scratch but the same issues occur.
I haven't setup inSSIDer to check as I saw on previous threads but will try that later on.

Both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz channels are currently on. I think a cheap fibre router is on the cards. Quite disappointed with the Billion especially after everyone seemed to rave on about them before.
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Jul-14 12:42:01
Print Post

The Fritz!Box 7490 is a combined modem and router and a whole host of other things like a dect server.

I don't have one, and reviews are thin on the ground. I've heard not very good wifi performance.

I have an Asus RT-68U that I can thoroughly recommend if you go down the separate modem/router path.
Standard User michty_me
(member) Wed 23-Jul-14 12:53:13
Print Post

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by boxst:
The Fritz!Box 7490 is a combined modem and router and a whole host of other things like a dect server.

I don't have one, and reviews are thin on the ground. I've heard not very good wifi performance.

I have an Asus RT-68U that I can thoroughly recommend if you go down the separate modem/router path.

AN update from last week regarding the dropouts:
I went into the 2.4GHz settings and changed the bandwidth from 20/40 to 20. All disconnections have stopped now through WiFi. The range is still garbage and I am currently sitting pondering wether to purchase the Technicolour TG589N as recommended by my ISP. This a fairly cheap combined modem/router.

I'm a bit reluctant to go and buy another expensive bit of equipment to be let down again. The Billion cost me approx £140 and is pretty [censored] at that.
Standard User youngsyp
(member) Wed 23-Jul-14 14:38:51
Print Post

If it's just the range that is now the issue, why not just throw some higher gain antennas at it? 8dBi antennas are around £4 each from Amazon!

It looks like Billion made a backwards step with the DX. I have the 7800N and the WiFi range is great. It's in the loft and I get -50dB of signal strength all the way down in the lounge.
Maybe you should experiment with placement, if that option is available.

Paul

ISP: Coms.... Soon to be Xilo
Service: Coms Complete DSL100
Exchange: SMYG
MSAN: Broadcom
Router: Billion BiPac 7800N
Attenuation:38.5dB - 40dB
SNRM: 3.4dB (manually set)
Current sync: 9786kbps

Edited by youngsyp (Wed 23-Jul-14 14:42:57)

Standard User michty_me
(member) Wed 23-Jul-14 19:34:27
Print Post

[re: youngsyp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by youngsyp:
If it's just the range that is now the issue, why not just throw some higher gain antennas at it? 8dBi antennas are around £4 each from Amazon!

It looks like Billion made a backwards step with the DX. I have the 7800N and the WiFi range is great. It's in the loft and I get -50dB of signal strength all the way down in the lounge.
Maybe you should experiment with placement, if that option is available.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I would have tried but it appears all the antennas are fixed on the DX model. No changing them unfortunately.
The router is in a clear line of sight from everything and measuring now they are exactly 7.5m away from each other. I guess I was just more used to the performance of the Be Box and didn't really expect a near 50% loss of WiFi signal in that space.

Usually the free routers you get from ISP's are meant to be rubbish.

I have been recommended the Netgear Nighthawk from a guy called John at Broadbandbuyer. I may purchase this from Amazon US as my work gave me $300 to spend and it only works from their US site, I can't transfer the funds to my .co.uk account.

Edited by michty_me (Wed 23-Jul-14 19:36:14)

Standard User youngsyp
(member) Wed 23-Jul-14 21:22:09
Print Post

OK, I knew the DXL had fixed antennae but hoped the DX's could be changed.

Looks like the power supply is 'universal' and the specs look the same. Hopefully it'll perform how you need it to.

Paul

ISP: Coms.... Soon to be Xilo
Service: Coms Complete DSL100
Exchange: SMYG
MSAN: Broadcom
Router: Billion BiPac 7800N
Attenuation:38.5dB - 40dB
SNRM: 3.4dB (manually set)
Current sync: 9786kbps
Standard User michty_me
(member) Thu 24-Jul-14 08:10:24
Print Post

[re: youngsyp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by youngsyp:
OK, I knew the DXL had fixed antennae but hoped the DX's could be changed.

Looks like the power supply is 'universal' and the specs look the same. Hopefully it'll perform how you need it to.

Paul

Yeah It is my own fault really. I just assumed it would perform as the 7800N that everyone went on about. Clearly this isn't the case. Never mind, I should be able to get some money back from it as it still has one years Billion warranty too.

Thinking about it last night, I'll probably be best to purchase in the UK for returns purposes. I'm best to buy things from the states that I can't break or whatever.
Standard User lexden16
(member) Thu 24-Jul-14 08:59:26
Print Post

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by boxst:

I have had a Fritz!Box 7490 since March on an 80/20 line and it hasn't missed a heartbeat. The 7490 is more stable than my 7390 and the line error rate is negligible. Wifi in both bands is imho excellent. I no longer use my Fritz repeater and such things as IPads and Sky boxes are working well on a 5GHz connection. The International version (do not buy the German box as it will not work in the UK) is available more cheaply from German and Dutch suppliers. I bought mine from Fritzshop.nl
Standard User michty_me
(member) Fri 01-Aug-14 10:02:45
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

At present I just opted for the HG612 and a Asus RT-N56U. Managed to get both for approx £55 so that should do me fine for now. Hopefully the range is better.
Standard User michty_me
(member) Wed 13-Aug-14 11:18:41
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Hi
Could you provide a link where you've seen the Asus DSL-AC68U for sale in UK? Unless you're referring to the Asus RT-AC68U which does NOT have a VDSL modem and is a router only?

Link for the DSL-AC68U pre-order now available.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to