Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User crule
(learned) Thu 27-Jun-19 08:25:11
Print Post

what new router?

[link to this post]

Hi
I have used a BiPAC 7800DXL router to connect via adsl2 to a very long copper line.It has worked very well for the last 5 years. The time has come to retire it. Can anyone recommend a replacement router that uses the Broadcom chip set.
I am on a OR line with BT as my ISP the BT supplied home hub limps along at less than 1Mbit/s but the Bipac raises this to 3.5Mbit/s.
So you can see why I need to be careful in selection of the new router.
Any suggestions
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 27-Jun-19 09:06:37
Print Post

Re: what new router?

[re: crule] [link to this post]

What makes you believe it is time to retire the Billion? Have your problems got worse since a couple of years ago?

It might be an idea to post the latest version of your stats, as in your March 17 post. XRaySpex also made an important reply about those, which we all ignored.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User crule
(learned) Thu 27-Jun-19 10:43:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Many thanks for the reply.
I think I am probably over cautious but having had the Billion in constant use for over 5 years now I would like to have a backup waiting in case it quits at the most inconvenient time. So much of what I do can only be done on line.
I fact OR switched my line to ADSL_2plus at the end of last year and both my DL and Ul speed doubled over night.
The slow speed is a downside of living in an isolated farm down a 5km tatty Cu/Al line which only comes here. However there are many other upsides and we are only 60km from London

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Jun-19 11:14:34
Print Post

[re: crule] [link to this post]

TBH you're not going to find a much better router than the Billion 7800DXL for a long adsl2 line. Don't you have your isp's router to use as a backup if the Billion was to suddenly die? If not, then perhaps buy another 7800DXL or even the legendary 7800N to keep as a spare. They can be bought cheaply on ebay. Buying a far newer Billion such as the VR600 or VR900 would almost be a waste of money considering the very little gain you would get. If it ain't broke... smile

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Thu 27-Jun-19 11:53:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What makes you believe it is time to retire the Billion?

That there has not been a firmware update since June 2015, which makes it an insecure hunk of junk would be a very good starting point for wanting to replace it. However anything from your standard consumer manufacturers aka. the likes of Netgear, Billion, etc. will be just the same in terms of being left to rot with few if any firmware updates after it has been released.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Jun-19 12:30:42
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
That there has not been a firmware update since June 2015, which makes it an insecure hunk of junk would be a very good starting point for wanting to replace it. However anything from your standard consumer manufacturers aka. the likes of Netgear, Billion, etc. will be just the same in terms of being left to rot with few if any firmware updates after it has been released.

It would be utterly bonkers for the OP to spend £100s on enterprise grade kit for a 3.5 Mb/s adsl line in a domestic environment. If consumer grade kit was that bad, all of us would be using £800 Juniper routers. Sure, home routers can be hacked but as long as you take the necessary steps such as using a strong WPA2 wifi password then the risk is greatly minimized. A bit like crossing the road...you can easily get run over if you don't look yet millions do this everyday without getting run over.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 27-Jun-19 13:55:35
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

And a decent admin password, allied to a change of admin username if possible. (I've seen quite a few where the username can't be changed, which is idiotic).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Thu 27-Jun-19 19:59:48
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

There is plenty of routers that you can buy that don't cost hundreds of pounds that get regular firmware updates. No amount of strong password is going to help when there is a vulnerability in the underlying OS and there is no patch from the vendor. Given that the OP's router has not had a security update in four years it is almost certainly running with a known remotely compromisable vulnerability.

So I would suggest Mikrotik, Ubiquiti, Draytek etc. as viable alternatives that get regular security updates for the long run. The likes of Billion, Asus, Netgear, TP Link etc. best to avoid with a barge pole.

The alternative is get a cheap router that runs dd-wrt or similar. Personally I found this a right hassle as quickly over time you find the latest version won't install on your hardware, generally due to insufficient storage. I decided my time was worth the money investing in Ubiquiti gear which did not cost me hundreds of pounds. I spent £75 on an EdgeRouterX-SFP and £100 on a UniFi AC-LR access point, and recycled my Huawei HG612 modem. Which while lacking in security updates is only accessible from the router, and is thus incredibly difficult to compromise remotely. I would replace it with something new but I am waiting on the G.fast pod on my cabinet being enabled. I think I should be able to get a significant uplift in speed being ~200m from the cabinet and getting a full 80/20 speed. No point in buying a new VDSL modem if I am going to get a G.fast connection. This is taking longer than anticipated, we are approaching 10 months now since the pod was added to the PCP...

I have subsequently added an external access point to get coverage in the garden. that cost another £85 and a bunch for some SWA Cat6a cable to lay to the shed, but that is way beyond a "normal" consumer router anyway,

There is no requirement whatsoever to buy Cisco, Juniper etc. and suggesting that there is disingenuous to put it politely.
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Thu 27-Jun-19 20:15:10
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

For the less technically adept like myself (running a first generation Billion 8800NL) what are the risks people like me face and what is the likelihood of it happening to an ordinary domestic user?
Standard User gary333
(regular) Thu 27-Jun-19 21:05:38
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
For the less technically adept like myself (running a first generation Billion 8800NL) what are the risks people like me face and what is the likelihood of it happening to an ordinary domestic user?

Me too, as it sounds like 99% of the UK's internet population are at risk if all of those vendors are out. The general population use the device they got in the post when they signed up to their provider, often for donkeys years. I would have expected mass hysteria by now if all the old equipment still in circulation with old firmware is a security risk.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to