Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jul-19 19:12:51
Print Post

Re: what new router?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yep. Doesn't everyone know nmap?

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Thu 04-Jul-19 20:01:06
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I suspect that there is not a single person in our village would know what doing a port scan on their router was and their knowledge of nmap would perhaps be slightly less than their knowledge of the Third Law of Thermodynamics.

While the depth of knowledge on this forum (and the number of people who are willing to give up their time to share that knowledge) is something we should all be grateful for, no-one has yet given any answer (hopefully in Janet and John language so that the less technically adept can understand the risks they are facing) to the questions I posed a week ago. What are the risks that people like me face and what is the likelihood of something untoward happening to an ordinary domestic user from using a bog-standard vintage ISP-supplied modem/router?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Jul-19 20:41:14
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

The risks are many and varied but for consumer ignoring things they do on their PC

1. Risk - router is listening for a connection from Internet that exposes the admin interface, potentially allowing an anonymous to upload hacked firmware to do anything on to the router

2. Access via Wi-FI by using an easily guessed or predictable key (some default wireless keys can be quickly guessed) and then once on the LAN the router can be compromised and/or probes made to computers.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jul-19 22:31:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
What are the risks that people like me face and what is the likelihood of something untoward happening to an ordinary domestic user from using a bog-standard vintage ISP-supplied modem/router?

Pretty low actually.
1 - As Andrew also says, change the WiFi password and network name.
2 - Change the admin password to the router (so its not the ISP name etc).

The benefits of using the ISP supplied router include:
1 - ISP updates it centrally, often overnight (BT, Sky, and others do this)
2 - If there is an issue found, the ISP is in a position to manage the risk, they canít do this with third party equipment

The downside is the ISP supplied routers are often very simplistic, and in some cases even have very poor WiFi range compared to alternatives.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Fri 05-Jul-19 00:48:15
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

MrS and jchamier

Thanks both for taking the time to explain things for me (and I suspect many others).
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Jul-19 13:18:07
Print Post

" What are the risks that people like me face and what is the likelihood of something untoward happening to an ordinary domestic user from using a bog-standard vintage ISP-supplied modem/router?"

Don't stick your finger in to the open case of the modem/router and you should be ok.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to