Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Scientistnsaint
(learned) Tue 07-Jan-20 19:56:38
Print Post

Modem swap

[link to this post]

I'm on Sky ADSL, and yes I do plan to do something about that later this year, but I've got some major building work to get done first, before new BB rises to the top of the list.

I'm using the O2 Wireless Box II aka Thomson TG585 I originally had before Sky bought O2.

I'm finding wifi performance poor, so I thought I'd swap it out for a BT Home Hub 4 which I happen to have to see if it works better.

I assume (yesno??) I'll need to extract my ADSL username & password from my existing modem & use it for the BT one?

Username is no problem - that's shown in clear, but the password is not - any ideas on how to extract it?

Oh - and apologies if this info is somewhere on this forum - I failed to find it by searching, so if it's here feel free to mock me and point me at it.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Jan-20 20:43:57
Print Post

Re: Modem swap

[re: Scientistnsaint] [link to this post]

I donít know the answer (I have a vague recollection that the Sky stuff authenticates using the MAC address. But I suspect Iím wrong)

But what I do know, is that the wifi from a hub 4 ainít all that ... a 5 is better, a 6 better still.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 07-Jan-20 21:24:06
Print Post

It might be quicker, easier, cheaper and better to plug a WAP into the TG585 on a reasonable length of ethernet cable and find out where it works best for everywhere you need wifi.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Jan-20 16:52:24
Print Post

As you used to be with O2, then you can try these settings. Might not work for other Sky users on ADSL. (Certanily doesn't work for FTTC / VDSL).

Encapsulation: PPPoA
Username: [email protected]
Password: install
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Multiplexing: VC-BASED
MTU: 1500

I also recommend buying a better WiFi solution and plugging into the router, such as the BT WholeHome discs, which are on Amazon and Argos and give amazing coverage.

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
(learned) Wed 08-Jan-20 22:33:18
Print Post

All your suggestions have merit, and a permanent solution to poor wi-fi coverage and carp BB performance will be implemented later this year.

But right now I have the zero-cost Home Hub, and it surely can't be any worse than the TG585, so gotta be worth a try.
(learned) Wed 08-Jan-20 22:48:52
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
As you used to be with O2, then you can try these settings. Might not work for other Sky users on ADSL. (Certanily doesn't work for FTTC / VDSL).

Encapsulation: PPPoA
Username: [email protected]
Password: install
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Multiplexing: VC-BASED
MTU: 1500

Thanks.

Actually, I've seen that here: https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2033907/man...

Not tried it ( but hey - why not - nothing to lose).

Username in the O2 modem is <6 digits>@o2broadband.co.uk
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Jan-20 11:21:39
Print Post

If you had a Sky router, you can use this link, but as you have an old O2 thomson router, then you are better off using the previous instructions.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extracting-sky-router...

Standard User Malwaremike
(experienced) Thu 09-Jan-20 14:57:37
Print Post

If you can get your HH4 to work you might consider a HH6, plenty on Gumtree for £10 to £40, some still in unopened boxes. My HH6 wifi is about 20% better than the Plusnet Hub One which I understand is a rebadged HH5. I haggled and got a new HH6 for £10.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Jan-20 15:45:48
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

Some of the later HH's are locked to BT networks (e.g. BT retail, Plusnet, EE broadband).

(learned) Thu 09-Jan-20 19:23:22
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

And mine is indeed locked.

Oh well.
  Print Thread

Jump to