Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Feb-20 02:04:47
Print Post

Asus Vs ZyXel

[link to this post]

I find myself in a quandry. I want to upgrade my wifi to AC1300 and am using a DSL-N55U asus as a cable router with a ZyXel VMG1312-B10A as a modem. My ISP doesn't support IPV6 so I am using 6to4 tunnelling which the N55U supports so my LAN now has IPV6 via a workaround.

I have won an auction for a ZyXel VMG8924-B10A which was a good price but from my googling doesn't appear to support 6to4 tunnelling for IPV6.

The Asus N55U while poor on ADSL due to chipset is a solid router with solid (although slow) wifi and my N devices like it and can stream to most devices perfectly. The Asus equivalent of the 8924 is the RT-AC58U which DOES support 6to4 and judging by my N55U should be a good reliable solid router. I am looking on ebay for the AC58U but they are all quite high prices new and only 1 second hand which is still quite pricey compared to the ZyXel routers.

So I am waiting for the ZyXel to be delivered to test on my system but is it worth getting the AC58U new say from Ebuyer for £60 with 3 year warranty or wait for more 2nd hand cheaper versions on ebay?

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Feb-20 03:20:35
Print Post

Re: Asus Vs ZyXel

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

I've been thinking and googling. I could use the 8924 as a wifi access point with my Asus serving N devices and the 8924 AP serving AC devices, which is only my laptop and a AC dongle for a PC I am waiting for to be delivered.

This way I dont have to spend more cash on a Asus RT-AC58U until prices come down on ebay.

According to google I would have to link the Asus DSL-N55U to the VMG8924 LAN ports with ethernet cable and change the IP of the 8924 to 192.168.1.254 and disable DHCP and it should work as a wifi switch/AP.

Thoughts?

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Feb-20 06:55:16
Print Post

My thoughts are ....

You seem to be making life super complicated for yourself.

Move to an ISP who does support IPV6

Run some ethernet cables.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Feb-20 12:42:44
Print Post

What benefit do you get from running IPv6 on your local lan when your ISP does not suuport IPv6?

A Zyxel VMG3925-B10B may have more support for IPv6 on a local Lan. The one I have does not have as good FTC downstream data rate as a VMG8924-B10A, but YMMV.

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 02-Feb-20 13:18:41
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Maybe he accesses some IPv6-only websites via a 6to4 tunnel?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Feb-20 14:20:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
But there are easier ways of accessing IPv6 websites from IPv4 addresses.. You just put the IPv6 address in square brackets!

Michael Chare
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Feb-20 14:46:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
But there are easier ways of accessing IPv6 websites from IPv4 addresses.. You just put the IPv6 address in square brackets!

er, no.

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 02-Feb-20 15:10:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
Maybe you should read to the end of the first reply to the question you linked to wink.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Feb-20 15:51:23
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Not even if you use an IPv6 enabled?

Michael Chare
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Feb-20 16:30:11
Print Post

If your network is 6 enabled then yes you can put an IP in square brackets. The same with v4 addresses.

However the thread was about getting v6 when your ISP didnít and which updated router!

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to