Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User maw444
(newbie) Sun 14-Jun-20 18:26:23
Print Post

UPS and routers

[link to this post]

Will plugging the Sky router into an UPS cause any issues with the performance of the broadband. I seem to recall someone telling me that you should not due this, as the shaping of the UPS will interfer with the router.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Jun-20 19:02:38
Print Post

Re: UPS and routers

[re: maw444] [link to this post]

UPS for power supply of router no problem

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User thomaswarne01
(member) Sun 14-Jun-20 20:38:24
Print Post

UPS Should not affect the performance,
In fact I have recommended friends to use them on their main internet equipment and along with myself we are all happy with the continuity of service during a minor power blip.
I use 3 x APC UPS BX500CI APC UPS AMAZON
These run with various requirements
1=Home Router/Switch/AP
2=Office Router/Switch/AP
3=Office PBX Telephone exchange
and they work a treat. No usb port on the 500VA Version but that is no issue to me as no need for the communication, whereas the bigger models in that line do have USB ports.

Runtime is approx 20mins on all scenarios.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DanielCoffey67
(member) Mon 15-Jun-20 13:32:54
Print Post

And for routers with the normal transformer block, they tend to not be fussy over the power supply quality so a stepped sine wave UPS will be perfectly sufficient. No need to pay extra for pure sine wave.

If you are looking for a quality brand, something from the APC BackUPS range will be very good.
Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Mon 15-Jun-20 18:23:18
Print Post

The only thing you don't was to do, is run the phone line or other cable carrying the broadband signal through the UPS, it if has such a facility - I've seen some that do.Doing that definitely won't hep smile

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Be *
Xilo / Uno
Now -> Zen and BT

Fibre is here ! FTTP smile
Standard User foolishlywise
(newbie) Mon 15-Jun-20 21:05:06
Print Post

Nope. I currently have both my Virgin Media Hub 3 plugged in, as well as my Vigor FTTC failover modem plugged in. Both work fine - and can usually provide backup WiFi to neighbors who need it when/if the power goes. Did have to swap the power supply/power brick on the Virgin hub though - the original Arris supplied one was impacted by the few milliseconds it takes to switch.

Can recommend APC stuff. Really well built and if there's ever a problem, they courier you out a replacement in advance.
  Print Thread

Jump to