Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Sun 26-Jul-20 18:47:14
Print Post

Mikrotik RouterOs (Cloud Core series) routers setup

[link to this post]

Anyone on here have any experience of RouterOS / setting these Mikrotik units up?

Have both a CCR1036 and a CCR1072 to setup, including VPNs.

Many thanks
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jul-20 08:33:11
Print Post

Re: Mikrotik RouterOs (Cloud Core series) routers setup

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Nope, but have you thought about looking on You Tube? I have found some good tutorials on there over the years

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User tdw42
(regular) Wed 29-Jul-20 11:54:48
Print Post

Yes. Functionally they aren't really any different from the other Mikrotik ethernet routers and routerboard devices, just more capable.

Take any videos from the internet with a pinch of salt, the majority range from less then optimal to downright wrong/insecure. The mikrotik wiki and help pages describe all of the settings and have some basic examples, and there is a good user forum.

As with any other generic/multi-purpose IT equipment it is important to know how you want them to fit in to your system architecture and what functionality you want them to provide before attempting to configure them.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ft247
(newbie) Wed 29-Jul-20 12:34:07
Print Post

[re: tdw42] [link to this post]

I second this, there are some awful configuration examples online.

I have used CCR1009s both at home and work - they are very capable, I've had 150+ DHCP/NAT users with per-connection queue on each and can still saturate a 1Gb uplink if required without it even breaking a sweat.

VPN will obviously place more demands on the hardware, and I haven't used their VPN functionality for anything other than remote admin access.
Standard User ft247
(newbie) Wed 29-Jul-20 12:40:28
Print Post

[re: ft247] [link to this post]

Configuration advice:
-make use of address lists and interface lists from day one, firewall rules etc. are made much more flexible in this way.
-if you have experience with older software versions, or see old examples - some things such as bridged VLAN configuration methodology have changed.
-different Mikrotik hardware architectures can require different approaches - sometimes you need to hardware-offload some switching effort to avoid hitting a CPU bottleneck. This is a pain - but then I realised the hardware in question cost £30, so stopped being annoyed by it!
Standard User craski
(committed) Wed 29-Jul-20 17:38:35
Print Post

I found the videos that Greg Sowell did useful to learn how to setup my own Mikrotiks.
http://gregsowell.com/?page_id=951

Zen Business FTTC BQM
Talk Talk Business FTTC BQM
Standard User tdw42
(regular) Wed 29-Jul-20 18:38:59
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

Better than many but dated - for example doesn't cover VLAN-aware bridges (introduced in v6.41 about 2 1/2 years ago), new style IPsec configuration (introduced in v6.44 about 1 1/4 years ago), default firewall rules (constantly being improved), and the OpenVPN example is completely insecure to attack.

Slides / videos from MUM (Mikrotik User Meeting) presentations are usually good, but older ones may be deprecated by changed functionality in newer firmware.
Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Thu 30-Jul-20 20:35:11
Print Post

[re: tdw42] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tdw42:
Better than many but dated - for example doesn't cover VLAN-aware bridges (introduced in v6.41 about 2 1/2 years ago), new style IPsec configuration (introduced in v6.44 about 1 1/4 years ago), default firewall rules (constantly being improved), and the OpenVPN example is completely insecure to attack.

Slides / videos from MUM (Mikrotik User Meeting) presentations are usually good, but older ones may be deprecated by changed functionality in newer firmware.

Thanks for the tip. Some excellent resources on MUM!
Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Thu 30-Jul-20 20:39:06
Print Post

[re: ft247] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ft247:
Configuration advice:
-make use of address lists and interface lists from day one, firewall rules etc. are made much more flexible in this way.
-if you have experience with older software versions, or see old examples - some things such as bridged VLAN configuration methodology have changed.
-different Mikrotik hardware architectures can require different approaches - sometimes you need to hardware-offload some switching effort to avoid hitting a CPU bottleneck. This is a pain - but then I realised the hardware in question cost £30, so stopped being annoyed by it!

Thank you. Yes I have around 25 remote stations in my first tranche using LTE connectivity which I’d like to connect via VPN for remote monitoring and config back to my primary and backup sites.
  Print Thread

Jump to