Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User simonh__
(legend) Sat 12-Dec-20 17:21:28
Print Post

TP Link PoE Router/wireless access point problem

[link to this post]

Wondering if there are any ideas on this one,

I have just connected up a TP Link EAP110 Outdoor to a TP Link PoE router TL-FS1008P. The access point works fine with the bundled injector but when changing over to a PoE port, the router doesn't power the access point (the access point doesn't power up, nor does the router PoE light come on). With other devices, the PoE ports work fine on the router and no other PoE devices are currently connected.

I'm not too up on PoE so has anyone anything to suggest please?

TIA
Standard User Thinker27
(newbie) Sat 12-Dec-20 23:12:04
Print Post

Re: TP Link PoE Router/wireless access point problem

[re: simonh__] [link to this post]

A datasheet I have found online says the EAP110 needs 24V Passive PoE. A datasheet for TL-SF1008P says it produces 802.3af PoE, which Wikipedia says is a minimum of 44V d.c.. It also says under 'Non-standard implementations' "In a passive PoE system, the injector does not communicate with the powered device to negotiate its voltage or wattage requirements, but merely supplies power at all times."

So maybe the SF1008 is not getting the negotiation it needs to do anything. Use the bundled injector?
Standard User sills
(member) Sun 13-Dec-20 12:48:02
Print Post

As Thinker27 has said, the access point only supports 24v passive PoE, not normal 48v PoE. You either need to use the included injector, or use a switch that lets you enable 24v passive PoE on a port, which yours won't.

With passive PoE the device doesn't 'talk' to the switch to get power, the power is always on. That means that it can potentially be damaging if you plug a non-PoE device (e.g. a laptop) into a passive PoE port or injector as there will be voltage there that could damage it's ethernet controller.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User simonh__
(legend) Sat 23-Jan-21 19:21:32
Print Post

[re: sills] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies, not the news I wanted to hear but oh well!
Standard User dogcat
(learned) Wed 27-Jan-21 14:49:27
Print Post

Late reply but the EAP225-Outdoor can be powered by either Passive or 802.3af, so it would work. Best option is to just to replace the AP with that model as its significantly better in all aspects, the EAP110-Outdoor's only selling point really is how cheap it is, but beyond that its poor, but the EAP225-Outdoor is only £30 more yet is a very good outdoor AP, at least on paper.

Edited by dogcat (Wed 27-Jan-21 14:52:16)

Standard User simonh__
(legend) Sun 31-Jan-21 11:49:47
Print Post

[re: dogcat] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, I think I will change over to the EAP225. If any future buyers are reading this I think it's worth the extra £20/30 not to have another power box danglingly around, passive PoE kinda defeats one of the key benefits of PoE...

(As an aside, I have also found Ubiquiti manufacture a low cost passive to 802.3af adapter which may be of benefit in some situations, it's an inline adapter which looks quite neat)
  Print Thread

Jump to