Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Sun 02-May-21 19:36:42
Print Post

What causes modem hangup?

[link to this post]

My RT-AC68U keeps dropping it's WAN connection with a log message saying Modem Hangup. The router is plugged into a BT Openreach fibre modem (the ECI type) which I replaced after changing the cable connecting them to no avail, so there's now a Draytek Vigor 130 in place of the BTOR modem but still the problem persists.

Any ideas about why the modem would hangup?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-May-21 21:51:32
Print Post

Re: What causes modem hangup?

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by joconnell:
Most internet providers over FTTC connections (VDSL) use PPPoE, where you will have username and password set in your Asus router??

Modem Hang Up generally means the other end stopped the PPPoE connection. Not actually anything to do with the “modem” box you have connected to the Asus.

Your ASUS should automatically reconnect, does it not?

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Sun 02-May-21 22:34:43
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Most internet providers over FTTC connections (VDSL) use PPPoE, where you will have username and password set in your Asus router??

Modem Hang Up generally means the other end stopped the PPPoE connection. Not actually anything to do with the “modem” box you have connected to the Asus.

Your ASUS should automatically reconnect, does it not?

It does reconnect but it takes a few minutes - not great for WFH or a zoom conference. Oddly enough, the modem hangup only happens when I have an AIMesh set up (via ethernet backhaul) but if I remove the mesh node then I never seem to get the modem hangups.

Perhaps I've wasted money buying the Draytek but it's good to be able to see some stats and hopefully it'll perform better.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-May-21 00:11:41
Print Post

-NET Well PPPOE SESSION DROPS ARE FREQUENT or where in my Experience more so than most other providers

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 03-May-21 00:17:18)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-May-21 11:35:23
Print Post

It does reconnect but it takes a few minutes - not great for WFH or a zoom conference. Oddly enough, the modem hangup only happens when I have an AIMesh set up (via ethernet backhaul) but if I remove the mesh node then I never seem to get the modem hangups.
That sounds like a software bug in the Asus, perhaps one to talk to their tech support about.

PPPoE is derived from PPP which was used on dial up modems, so a lot of the terminology hasn't changed.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Mon 03-May-21 19:13:40
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
That sounds like a software bug in the Asus, perhaps one to talk to their tech support about.

PPPoE is derived from PPP which was used on dial up modems, so a lot of the terminology hasn't changed.

I've disconnected the mesh router node and am still getting the issue, so that was a red herring.
  Print Thread

Jump to