General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:21:21
Print Post

Re: pppoe - vlan

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
In reply to a post by TraceT:
... nested quotes trimmed ...

Yup ive seen that before i haven't took their phone service though which that relates to, ive left it with post office but the router its self has built in voip ports to plug a phone in i was just saying i hope little big one haven't put custom firmware on the router because if they haven't then i should be able to config the voip ports with my own voip provider

Ash

The router is locked down to LBO slightly as you can't changed the SSID or password nor change the WiFi channel yourself.
I don't see any option to configure the VOIP either. They had to register the phone ports for my handsets when we started before I could use them.

Ahh little disappointed then they've basically done what virgin media always do to their routers and turned a super router into bog standard one lol defo a shame because that router natively allows you to have 4 different SSIDs with different rules (which i use with my current router i have a main SSID and a guest SSID with diff rules)

have they blocked the router stats out or can you see them and have you tried the USB ports for the storage/printer/3g sharing my guess is they've most likely locked that out too if wifis locked crazy

Ash

I can see this for stats;
noise margin upstream: 17 db
output power downstream: -15 db
attenuation upstream: 0 db
noise margin downstream: 25 db
output power upstream: 10 db
attenuation downstream: 14 db

use to get this;
noise margin upstream: 15db
output power downstream -19 db
attenuation upstream 0 db
noise margin downstream 6 db
output power upstream S db
attenuation downstream 0 db

I can also see this;
3G Disabled

not needed to try the USB ports.

LAN Port 4 was locked for their TV services, but when I discovered this they unlocked it for me, but I use 8 port gigabit switch anyway.
Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:24:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
When you say can't change the password, are you talking admin access to the router, or the wireless password?

You can change the "user" password only, not the wireless password.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:31:22
Print Post

[re: TraceT] [link to this post]

Big security risk as if someone figures out how they generate the wireless passwords, they can probably guess and get into a network given a little time

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:38:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Big security risk as if someone figures out how they generate the wireless passwords, they can probably guess and get into a network given a little time

I have to agree.
We weren't prompted to change the user password but It's a good job we did as you can set MAC Address Filter up yourself for eg.

Edited by TraceT (Sat 31-Mar-12 20:41:19)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:44:58
Print Post

We weren't prompted to change the user password but It's a good job we did as you can set MAC Address Filter up yourself for eg.

MAC addresses generally aren't encrypted - so are not a security measure.

If you can't set your own WPA2 key and change it anytime then this is a security problem. Can the supplied router be set in bridge mode so you can plug your own in behind it?

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:45:42
Print Post

That's happened to Sky and others with simple provided passwords. Thankfully Sky let you change the settings in the router web interface.

Sounds like a possible news article here?

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:47:56
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

MAC addresses generally aren't encrypted - so are not a security measure.

If you can't set your own WPA2 key and change it anytime then this is a security problem. Can the supplied router be set in bridge mode so you can plug your own in behind it?

LBO have said they would help you to set this up if you wish.
Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:49:10
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
That's happened to Sky and others with simple provided passwords. Thankfully Sky let you change the settings in the router web interface.

Sounds like a possible news article here?

LBO have full admin access.
I think they would change the SSID password for you maybe.

Edited by TraceT (Sat 31-Mar-12 20:54:48)

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:54:05
Print Post

The router is locked down to LBO slightly as you can't changed the SSID or password nor change the WiFi channel yourself.
I don't see any option to configure the VOIP either. They had to register the phone ports for my handsets when we started before I could use them.

Ahh little disappointed then they've basically done what virgin media always do to their routers and turned a super router into bog standard one lol defo a shame because that router natively allows you to have 4 different SSIDs with different rules (which i use with my current router i have a main SSID and a guest SSID with diff rules)

have they blocked the router stats out or can you see them and have you tried the USB ports for the storage/printer/3g sharing my guess is they've most likely locked that out too if wifis locked crazy

Ash

use to get this;

I can also see this;
3G Disabled

LAN Port 4 was locked for their TV services, but when I discovered this they unlocked it for me, but I use 8 port gigabit switch anyway.

Thanks for that can you not see the sync speed with those stats ??, I only use 2 lan ports so not a problem about the 4th been locked off for tv, If the TV service is good ill probably take it just got rida sky so looking for something more than free view (there's 1 channel on there i watch so doesn't warrent spending £80 fitting a rooftop antenna lol) But not as much as sky lol, I do have freesat but the sky box is on its way out so if the littlebigone IPTV service is good shall just get that instead of buying another sky HD box

if you don't mind could you upload a few print screens on the LBO router interface blanking out any personal info ovs

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps Soon to be with little big one up to 40meg FTTC
Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 21:02:26
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Ash

use to get this;

I can also see this;
3G Disabled

Thanks for that can you not see the sync speed with those stats ??, I only use 2 lan ports so not a problem about the 4th been locked off for tv, If the TV service is good ill probably take it just got rida sky so looking for something more than free view (there's 1 channel on there i watch so doesn't warrent spending £80 fitting a rooftop antenna lol) But not as much as sky lol, I do have freesat but the sky box is on its way out so if the littlebigone IPTV service is good shall just get that instead of buying another sky HD box

if you don't mind could you upload a few print screens on the LBO router interface blanking out any personal info ovs

Ash

I can give you this for now;
Interface Status
Interface Status Rate
VDSL WAN Up 43992/10996 kbps
LAN 1 Up 10Mbps
LAN 2 Up 1000Mbps
LAN 3 Up 1000Mbps
LAN 4 Down N/A
WLAN Up 300Mbps
3G Disabled N/A

My monitor isn't big enough for full screen shots, but I remember someone copying more edited info on either the Sheffield Forums or Digital Region Forums.
If you can't find it I'll have look for you, but will have to wait till tomorrow as I'm off to watch a movie smile
I'll try to screen shot what I can though.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to