General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 31-Mar-12 15:08:42
Print Post

pppoe - vlan

[link to this post]

Hi can some one explain what the difference between VLAN and PPPoE is with FTTC

My new ISP littlebigone (fitted in next few weeks) uses VLANs instead of PPPoE which i understand most FTTC providers use,

So what's the diff and are there any ad/disadvantages to this

Thanks
Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps Soon to be with little big one up to 40meg FTTC
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 31-Mar-12 15:21:02
Print Post

Re: pppoe - vlan

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

I think this is Digital Region in South Yorks (gosh, a customer !!).

It's worth saying that BT Openreach use VLANs too, for example one VLAN could provide voice or multicast and the other internet data. PPPoE is then used as the authentication method to establish a connection over the VLAN.

PPPoE provides some user authentication capability whereas a pure VLAN will be pre-configured and just move the data to where the switches send it based on the VLAN tags on the packets / frames.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 31-Mar-12 15:31:59
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
I think this is Digital Region in South Yorks (gosh, a customer !!).

It's worth saying that BT Openreach use VLANs too, for example one VLAN could provide voice or multicast and the other internet data. PPPoE is then used as the authentication method to establish a connection over the VLAN.

PPPoE provides some user authentication capability whereas a pure VLAN will be pre-configured and just move the data to where the switches send it based on the VLAN tags on the packets / frames.

Yes its DRN lol ive waited for 1.2 year for BT to activate the cab that's been sat there powered on doing noting aint waiting no more see as they just changed date again so decided to take the plunge and get a DRN connection lol .

Thanks for the info i was mainly wondering because origin who are also on the DRN use PPPoE like open reach but LBO seam to just use only VLAN when i ordered i asked it my old netgear router would work and said it supports PPPoE so it should and they said we dont use PPPoE so it dont matter.

They supply one of these which turns out to be a hela lot better than my netgear anyway even if it is a bit ugly haha so im happy using there all in 1 router anyway saves a power socket i supose.

Are there any latency advantages at all to just using vlans or are they basically they same

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps Soon to be with little big one up to 40meg FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 31-Mar-12 15:36:04
Print Post

Are there any latency advantages at all to just using vlans or are they basically they same

dunno. PPPoE is used by Openreach to signal synch speeds and such like as well as authenticate to the ISP. I suppose that PPP is a few bytes of overhead per packet so there will be a marginal effect.

The all-in-one VDSL modem/router is a neater approach than separates.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 31-Mar-12 15:42:13
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Ye i agree its going to save me a fair few bob on electric too because it supports HDD/Printer sharing natively threw the USB ports so i will no longer have to leave my main desktop on just to share the printer and shared hard drive lol,
The built in 3G sharing may also come in handy if there's any downtime too.
Im also having my fingers crossed that the voip ports are customisable and usable with sip but if not we cant have everything i suppose lol

Also looking forward to their IPTV launching next month and im hoping it isnt just free view with on demand lol when i rung up they said its 100% IPTV no Arial needed so ive got fingers crossed there going to be some premium channels they don't seam to have much info on channels till next week though frown

Ash

Edited by acpsd775 (Sat 31-Mar-12 15:44:42)

Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 17:47:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
Im also having my fingers crossed that the voip ports are customisable and usable with sip but if not we cant have everything i suppose lol

Ash

This quote from LBO on the Sheffield forums about voip may help.
Post #265 Finally Digital Region is available in my area.
"With regards to VoIP, whilst our telephone services are VoIP by technology, they are in essencce replacement landline services. As part of this replacement service we register telephone numbers for 999 services, and in doing this we are required to know where the telephone is located. This is why we are not able to provide login details to our customers for use on mobile or portable devices, as this would breach this requirement"
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 31-Mar-12 18:33:11
Print Post

[re: TraceT] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TraceT:

Ash

"With regards to VoIP, whilst our telephone services are VoIP by technology, they are in essencce replacement landline services. As part of this replacement service we register telephone numbers for 999 services, and in doing this we are required to know where the telephone is located. This is why we are not able to provide login details to our customers for use on mobile or portable devices, as this would breach this requirement"

Yup ive seen that before i haven't took their phone service though which that relates to, ive left it with post office but the router its self has built in voip ports to plug a phone in i was just saying i hope little big one haven't put custom firmware on the router because if they haven't then i should be able to config the voip ports with my own voip provider

Ash

Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 19:54:57
Print Post

... nested quotes trimmed ...

Ash

Yup ive seen that before i haven't took their phone service though which that relates to, ive left it with post office but the router its self has built in voip ports to plug a phone in i was just saying i hope little big one haven't put custom firmware on the router because if they haven't then i should be able to config the voip ports with my own voip provider

Ash

The router is locked down to LBO slightly as you can't changed the SSID or password nor change the WiFi channel yourself.
I don't see any option to configure the VOIP either. They had to register the phone ports for my handsets when we started before I could use them.

Edited by TraceT (Sat 31-Mar-12 19:55:48)

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:10:53
Print Post

Ash

The router is locked down to LBO slightly as you can't changed the SSID or password nor change the WiFi channel yourself.
I don't see any option to configure the VOIP either. They had to register the phone ports for my handsets when we started before I could use them.

Ahh little disappointed then they've basically done what virgin media always do to their routers and turned a super router into bog standard one lol defo a shame because that router natively allows you to have 4 different SSIDs with different rules (which i use with my current router i have a main SSID and a guest SSID with diff rules)

have they blocked the router stats out or can you see them and have you tried the USB ports for the storage/printer/3g sharing my guess is they've most likely locked that out too if wifis locked crazy

Ash

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:13:30
Print Post

When you say can't change the password, are you talking admin access to the router, or the wireless password?

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]hinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:21:21
Print Post

Ash

Ahh little disappointed then they've basically done what virgin media always do to their routers and turned a super router into bog standard one lol defo a shame because that router natively allows you to have 4 different SSIDs with different rules (which i use with my current router i have a main SSID and a guest SSID with diff rules)

have they blocked the router stats out or can you see them and have you tried the USB ports for the storage/printer/3g sharing my guess is they've most likely locked that out too if wifis locked crazy

Ash

I can see this for stats;
noise margin upstream: 17 db
output power downstream: -15 db
attenuation upstream: 0 db
noise margin downstream: 25 db
output power upstream: 10 db
attenuation downstream: 14 db

use to get this;
noise margin upstream: 15db
output power downstream -19 db
attenuation upstream 0 db
noise margin downstream 6 db
output power upstream S db
attenuation downstream 0 db

I can also see this;
3G Disabled

not needed to try the USB ports.

LAN Port 4 was locked for their TV services, but when I discovered this they unlocked it for me, but I use 8 port gigabit switch anyway.
Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:24:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
When you say can't change the password, are you talking admin access to the router, or the wireless password?

You can change the "user" password only, not the wireless password.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:31:22
Print Post

Big security risk as if someone figures out how they generate the wireless passwords, they can probably guess and get into a network given a little time

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:38:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Big security risk as if someone figures out how they generate the wireless passwords, they can probably guess and get into a network given a little time

I have to agree.
We weren't prompted to change the user password but It's a good job we did as you can set MAC Address Filter up yourself for eg.

Edited by TraceT (Sat 31-Mar-12 20:41:19)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:44:58
Print Post

We weren't prompted to change the user password but It's a good job we did as you can set MAC Address Filter up yourself for eg.

MAC addresses generally aren't encrypted - so are not a security measure.

If you can't set your own WPA2 key and change it anytime then this is a security problem. Can the supplied router be set in bridge mode so you can plug your own in behind it?

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:45:42
Print Post

That's happened to Sky and others with simple provided passwords. Thankfully Sky let you change the settings in the router web interface.

Sounds like a possible news article here?

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:47:56
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

MAC addresses generally aren't encrypted - so are not a security measure.

If you can't set your own WPA2 key and change it anytime then this is a security problem. Can the supplied router be set in bridge mode so you can plug your own in behind it?

LBO have said they would help you to set this up if you wish.
Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:49:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
That's happened to Sky and others with simple provided passwords. Thankfully Sky let you change the settings in the router web interface.

Sounds like a possible news article here?

LBO have full admin access.
I think they would change the SSID password for you maybe.

Edited by TraceT (Sat 31-Mar-12 20:54:48)

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 31-Mar-12 20:54:05
Print Post

Ash

use to get this;

I can also see this;
3G Disabled

LAN Port 4 was locked for their TV services, but when I discovered this they unlocked it for me, but I use 8 port gigabit switch anyway.

Thanks for that can you not see the sync speed with those stats ??, I only use 2 lan ports so not a problem about the 4th been locked off for tv, If the TV service is good ill probably take it just got rida sky so looking for something more than free view (there's 1 channel on there i watch so doesn't warrent spending £80 fitting a rooftop antenna lol) But not as much as sky lol, I do have freesat but the sky box is on its way out so if the littlebigone IPTV service is good shall just get that instead of buying another sky HD box

if you don't mind could you upload a few print screens on the LBO router interface blanking out any personal info ovs

Ash

Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 21:02:26
Print Post

Ash

use to get this;

I can also see this;
3G Disabled

Thanks for that can you not see the sync speed with those stats ??, I only use 2 lan ports so not a problem about the 4th been locked off for tv, If the TV service is good ill probably take it just got rida sky so looking for something more than free view (there's 1 channel on there i watch so doesn't warrent spending £80 fitting a rooftop antenna lol) But not as much as sky lol, I do have freesat but the sky box is on its way out so if the littlebigone IPTV service is good shall just get that instead of buying another sky HD box

if you don't mind could you upload a few print screens on the LBO router interface blanking out any personal info ovs

Ash

I can give you this for now;
Interface Status
Interface Status Rate
VDSL WAN Up 43992/10996 kbps
LAN 1 Up 10Mbps
LAN 2 Up 1000Mbps
LAN 3 Up 1000Mbps
LAN 4 Down N/A
WLAN Up 300Mbps
3G Disabled N/A

My monitor isn't big enough for full screen shots, but I remember someone copying more edited info on either the Sheffield Forums or Digital Region Forums.
If you can't find it I'll have look for you, but will have to wait till tomorrow as I'm off to watch a movie smile
I'll try to screen shot what I can though.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 31-Mar-12 21:06:06
Print Post

use to get this;

I can also see this;
3G Disabled

Ash

Interface Status
Interface Status Rate
LAN 1 Up 10Mbps
LAN 2 Up 1000Mbps
LAN 3 Up 1000Mbps
LAN 4 Down N/A
WLAN Up 300Mbps
3G Disabled N/A

My monitor isn't big enough for full screen shots, but I remember someone copying more edited info on either the Sheffield Forums or Digital Region Forums.
If you can't find it I'll have look for you, but will have to wait till tomorrow as I'm off to watch a movie smile

~Thanks those are the stats i was wanting 1 last question before you go do you know how far you are from the cab, Lan 1 looks a bit of a odd speed :-/

Ash

Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sat 31-Mar-12 21:12:38
Print Post

Ash

Interface Status
Interface Status Rate
LAN 1 Up 10Mbps
LAN 2 Up 1000Mbps
LAN 3 Up 1000Mbps
LAN 4 Down N/A
WLAN Up 300Mbps
3G Disabled N/A

~Thanks those are the stats i was wanting 1 last question before you go do you know how far you are from the cab, Lan 1 looks a bit of a odd speed :-/

Ash

We approx 160mtrs from the cab.
Lan 1 is a PC that is currently shutdown.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 31-Mar-12 21:21:37
Print Post

Interface Status
Interface Status Rate
LAN 1 Up 10Mbps
LAN 2 Up 1000Mbps
LAN 3 Up 1000Mbps
LAN 4 Down N/A
WLAN Up 300Mbps
3G Disabled N/A

Ash

We approx 160mtrs from the cab.
Lan 1 is a PC that is currently shutdown.

Right thanks your well set for the 80/X later in the year (if it ever happens lol) ive about 0.3km am fingers crossed for full 40 but with 8a not sure if ill get it the talktalk checker says 66/20 is achievable with 17a though so who knows thanks again for all the info

Ash

Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sun 01-Apr-12 14:37:35
Print Post

Hi Ash

I think I've screen grabbed some good ones for you right, using hubbies PC.
Let me know and I'll have another go if not.

ZyXel screen shots

Some of the screen grabs are to show what other options are available at the bottom of the screen.
Oh, and on the Port Forwarding screen it only lets you make 16 entries frown

Edited by TraceT (Sun 01-Apr-12 15:10:56)

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 01-Apr-12 15:48:36
Print Post

Hi Ash

ZyXel screen shots

Some of the screen grabs are to show what other options are available at the bottom of the screen.

Thanks very interesting it looks like they've left the print/HDD sharing in there so all good i dont mind not been able to change the SSID i hardly use wifi to care about its name lol, Its nice to see it is gbit LAN though i thought it was 10/100 i do a lot of media sharing on the network so gbit lan will come well in handy for me smile

When you login do you use the username Admin or User browsing threw the manual there seams to be 2 diff names

Ash

Edited by acpsd775 (Sun 01-Apr-12 15:54:58)

Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Sun 01-Apr-12 16:06:57
Print Post

Hi Ash

ZyXel screen shots

Thanks very interesting it looks like they've left the print/HDD sharing in there so all good i dont mind not been able to change the SSID i hardly use wifi to care about its name lol, Its nice to see it is gbit LAN though i thought it was 10/100 i do a lot of media sharing on the network so gbit lan will come well in handy for me smile

When you login do you use the username Admin or User browsing threw the manual there seams to be 2 diff names

Ash

You can't change the login name "User" only the user password.
LBO prob got the admin one.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 01-Apr-12 16:20:37
Print Post

Hi Ash

ZyXel screen shots

Ash

Yea that's what i thought well default its admin/1234 lol but as you say they most likaly have it with this guide there seams to be a lot they've blocked out not giving you admin access.

Ash

Edited by acpsd775 (Sun 01-Apr-12 16:23:48)

Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Mon 02-Apr-12 13:30:16
Print Post

Ash

Yea that's what i thought well default its admin/1234 lol but as you say they most likaly have it with this guide there seams to be a lot they've blocked out not giving you admin access.

Ash

I've uploaded screenies for Media Server and Print Server for you, not much to see but to whet your appetite a little....lol
Anymore you'd like to be going on with?

Can't log in as Admin as password has obviously been changed by LBO.
I agree, compared to the manual available online, LBO have hidden a lot of the real config stuff. Only got a quick start guide in the box.
The router is also more of a creamy white than what it looks online.

When do expect to go live if you don't mind my asking?
Some of their tech support guys are really knowledgeable and truly helpful should you need them.

Also have you read their threads on Sheffield Forums, some info about being able to daisy chain routers.

Trace

Edited by TraceT (Mon 02-Apr-12 13:50:30)

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 02-Apr-12 14:36:51
Print Post

Ash

I've uploaded screenies for Media Server and Print Server for you, not much to see but to whet your appetite a little....lol

I agree, compared to the manual available online, LBO have hidden a lot of the real config stuff. Only got a quick start guide in the box.

Some of their tech support guys are really knowledgeable and truly helpful should you need them.

Also have you read their threads on Sheffield Forums, some info about being able to daisy chain routers.

Trace

Thanks for those i got my date today they say the 12th (router 11th) from start to finish it will of been 20 days so im quite content with that,

Just waiting tomorrow to find out about their TV if its got some premium content like FX discovery etc im defo in (but being a little company its doubtful)
But my sky box (used for freesat now) is on deaths door and we dont have a rooftop antenna and portable ones are touch an go with channels so freeview is out of question (saying that there's only 1 channel on there i watch so its not worth the cost of installing an antenna lol) so we do need some alternative for TV lol if it turns out to be rubbish line up then ill buy a new sky HD box for freest but im hoping their going to have something worth signing up for after all this time smile

on your stats page it states comps connected at Gbit speed are they directly on the router or via a hub because in the manual it only states 10/100 but your PS shows 10/100/1000.

Ash

Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Mon 02-Apr-12 15:00:30
Print Post

Ash

Trace

Thanks for those i got my date today they say the 12th (router 11th) from start to finish it will of been 20 days so im quite content with that,

Just waiting tomorrow to find out about their TV if its got some premium content like FX discovery etc im defo in (but being a little company its doubtful)
But my sky box (used for freesat now) is on deaths door and we dont have a rooftop antenna and portable ones are touch an go with channels so freeview is out of question (saying that there's only 1 channel on there i watch so its not worth the cost of installing an antenna lol) so we do need some alternative for TV lol if it turns out to be rubbish line up then ill buy a new sky HD box for freest but im hoping their going to have something worth signing up for after all this time smile

on your stats page it states comps connected at Gbit speed are they directly on the router or via a hub because in the manual it only states 10/100 but your PS shows 10/100/1000.

Ash

oooh not long to wait then.
Yes we have 3 gaming PCs connected directly to router at gigabit speed, its a pity we don't get it down the line yet. It's good for networking though.
I think the manual is a little old looking at the front page [firmware version and date].

We are satisfied with Freeview here as we spend most of our time online don't have time to watch telly....lol.
We used to have BTVision but hardly ever watched it. LBO sales did say back in Dec that their TV service wouldn't be like that.
Be interesting to see LBO prices for it though.
Not long to find out hopefully!
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 02-Apr-12 15:31:29
Print Post

Trace

Ash

Yes we have 3 gaming PCs connected directly to router at gigabit speed, its a pity we don't get it down the line yet. It's good for networking though.
I think the manual is a little old looking at the front page [firmware version and date].

We are satisfied with Freeview here as we spend most of our time online don't have time to watch telly....lol.
We used to have BTVision but hardly ever watched it. LBO sales did say back in Dec that their TV service wouldn't be like that.

Yea same here they said it wouldn't be free view and be 100% IPTV based (no antennas/sat feeds required)that alone has got me a bit excited lol well know 100% tomorrow i suppose lol.

And yea i noticed the manual seams way out of date its mainly XP based with 1 little windows 7 pic near the end lol,
Gbit lan big plus for me though so i wont complain i used to have it when i was with VM and it was so much better i do loats of network transferring streaming of HD files over the net to TV gaming (all at the same time lol) then when i switched onto ADSL went back to 10/100 i thought about purchasing a Gbit router but because i never planed on been with ADSL for that long never bothered, Even with 100meg lan speeds i notice if a network transfers going it dose cause considerable lag in L4D2.

Ash

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Tue 03-Apr-12 15:21:14
Print Post

Trace

Ash

LBO just announced their tv and at the same time say 80megs going to be available from later April laughlaugh

Ash

Standard User TraceT
(newbie) Tue 03-Apr-12 20:57:20
Print Post

Ash
LBO's TV packages were just what you were looking for weren't they?
You timed your signup perfectly. Any idea on what hardware you get for TV?

Trace
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Tue 03-Apr-12 22:39:48
Print Post

Ash
LBO's TV packages were just what you were looking for weren't they?
You timed your signup perfectly. Any idea on what hardware you get for TV?

Trace

From the pic on FB Shown here its a Motorola IPTV box i got an offer because i was one of the first to sign up i got free box and free install ive gone on their top package called BIG+ Found on here

Ash

TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps + http://littlebigone.com"]Littlebigone.com FTTC from 12/2/12 + IPTV Bigtv+
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 07-Apr-12 18:01:57
Print Post

ive got my router today and looked and the wifi is changeable nice suprice people have been moaning about it not been see here

Ash

TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps + littlebigone.com FTTC from 12/2/12 + Bigtv+ IPTV Package
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 07-Apr-12 19:18:35
Print Post

Just an aside. Have you noticed how your ----- line above your sig has been messed up with the introduction of the delineator before all sigs? Sig contents have been right-shifted, and lines like yours and the one I had are redundant.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 07-Apr-12 19:53:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Just an aside. Have you noticed how your ----- line above your sig has been messed up with the introduction of the delineator before all sigs? Sig contents have been right-shifted, and lines like yours and the one I had are redundant.

Have not notice any differences at all TBH the forum posts look a bit bigger but that's all ive noticed lol See herelooks same as usual lol

Ash

EDIT its just this second updated i now see the new sig separator

TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps + littlebigone.com FTTC from 12/2/12 + Bigtv+ IPTV Package

Edited by acpsd775 (Sat 07-Apr-12 20:13:45)

Standard User TraceT
(learned) Sat 07-Apr-12 20:02:20
Print Post

ive got my router today and looked and the wifi is changeable nice suprice people have been moaning about it not been see here

Ash

Ash, how were you logged in, admin or user?
Did you notice what the difference is between your screen shot and mine for the "Network Setting" menu at the bottom? I have only 3 choices; Home Network, NAT and Dynamic DNS.
However... if you still have access to the Wireless settings on activation day I know who'll be getting a call from mewink It's not on if some customers have access to some menus others don't X(
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 07-Apr-12 20:11:12
Print Post

Ash

Did you notice what the difference is between your screen shot and mine for the "Network Setting" menu at the bottom? I have only 3 choices; Home Network, NAT and Dynamic DNS.
However... if you still have access to the Wireless settings on activation day I know who'll be getting a call from mewink It's not on if some customers have access to some menus others don't X(

ahh yes when i go over network settings i get a 4th that says wireless settings i was saying to a friend watch this knowing my luck activation day and it will update and block it haha, Ive changed my wpa2 settings and added a second guest network ready for launch lol.

i logged in using user/1234 (now changed) so not sure whats happened maybe they've listened to their customers and decided to unlock it and you just haven't got the update yet i noticed a few things i thought would be locked out that arnt actually when i was messing unfortunately the sip settings are still locked but we cant have everything can we lol.

Will let you know next Thursday weather the block it or not

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC from 12/2/12 + Bigtv+ IPTV Package + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps

Edited by acpsd775 (Sat 07-Apr-12 20:11:46)

Standard User TraceT
(learned) Sat 07-Apr-12 20:17:18
Print Post

Ash

ahh yes when i go over network settings i get a 4th that says wireless settings i was saying to a friend watch this knowing my luck activation day and it will update and block it haha, Ive changed my wpa2 settings and added a second guest network ready for launch lol.

i logged in using user/1234 (now changed) so not sure whats happened maybe they've listened to their customers and decided to unlock it and you just haven't got the update yet i noticed a few things i thought would be locked out that arnt actually when i was messing unfortunately the sip settings are still locked but we cant have everything can we lol.

Ash

what firmware are you on
can you screen shot your options you get on each menu at the bottom plz?
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 07-Apr-12 20:18:04
Print Post

Ash

what firmware are you on

yea ill get some more print screens up see if i can match the differences for you

i will say one thing whats with the huge plug lol why send an american plug + adapter lol

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC from 12/2/12 + Bigtv+ IPTV Package + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps
Standard User TraceT
(learned) Sat 07-Apr-12 20:22:57
Print Post

Ash

what firmware are you on

yea ill get some more print screens up see if i can match the differences for you

i will say one thing whats with the huge plug lol why send an american plug + adapter lol

Ash

Screen shots fully appreciated.

Maybe I should'av forwarned you about the plug....heh
screen shot that too for everyone to see, lol
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 07-Apr-12 20:56:46
Print Post

what firmware are you on

Ash

Here's the pics all i could think about if there's anything else just ask

note on the status screen it says all wifis are off i knocked the wifi power button the the front of the router the first and second wifi are actually on lol

Ash

Edited by acpsd775 (Sat 07-Apr-12 21:02:58)

Standard User TraceT
(learned) Sun 08-Apr-12 13:59:03
Print Post

Ash

note on the status screen it says all wifis are off i knocked the wifi power button the the front of the router the first and second wifi are actually on lol

Ash

Comparing your screen shots to mine, you definitely have one more option to me under the Network Setting menu. The all important Wireless one. How many more are hidden on mine I wonder?

As you can see on my screen shots, I have;
3 on Network Setting,
4 on Security,
2 System Monitor, and
4 on the Maintenance menu.
Thats not comparing the tabs available on each menu either.

Do we have the same firmware?
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 08-Apr-12 14:53:39
Print Post

Ash

Comparing your screen shots to mine, you definitely have one more option to me under the Network Setting menu. The all important Wireless one. How many more are hidden on mine I wonder?

3 on Network Setting,
4 on Security,
2 System Monitor, and

Not sure were do you view the firmware i did not notice it anywhere lol

Ash

Standard User TraceT
(learned) Sun 08-Apr-12 14:56:54
Print Post

Ash

3 on Network Setting,
4 on Security,
2 System Monitor, and

Ash

Top left of the "System Info" screen under Device Information.
Mine is: V3.11(TUJ.0)_20111205

Edited by TraceT (Sun 08-Apr-12 14:58:11)

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 08-Apr-12 14:58:03
Print Post

3 on Network Setting,
4 on Security,
2 System Monitor, and

Ash

oh yea seen it now lol 3.11(TUJ.2) you seam to have TUJ.0

Ash

Edited by acpsd775 (Sun 08-Apr-12 14:59:22)

Standard User TraceT
(learned) Sun 08-Apr-12 14:59:36
Print Post

Ash

oh yea seen it now lol 3.11(TUJ.2)

Ash

A slight difference then.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 08-Apr-12 15:05:11
Print Post

Ash

Yea seams that way give them a ring and enquirer don't mention my name though haha dont want um hooking on and disabling it lol

Ash

Standard User TraceT
(learned) Sun 08-Apr-12 15:08:53
Print Post

Ash

Yea seams that way give them a ring and enquirer don't mention my name though haha dont want um hooking on and disabling it lol

Ash

Plan to ring them actually, even if it's just to change the Wireless password from the default label on bottom of router. I'll leave the SSID as it's a bit of advertising for them.

Have you compared your other menu options to mine?
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 08-Apr-12 15:19:45
Print Post

yes cant seam to see too much difference mainly just all the wireless options that graph showing wireless congestion is fantastic though lol

Ash

Standard User TraceT
(learned) Sun 08-Apr-12 15:24:31
Print Post

yes cant seam to see too much difference mainly just all the wireless options that graph showing wireless congestion is fantastic though lol

Ash

So looking at the menus at the bottom when you hover over them with your mouse, the only one missing for me is the wireless one? Thats ok then.
I thought the graph looked quite informative too. Had to use inSSIDer to get an idea of other wireless networks in the past, but not being able to change the channel myself is frustrating. Is the ZyXel set to automatic?
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 08-Apr-12 16:29:50
Print Post

Ash

So looking at the menus at the bottom when you hover over them with your mouse, the only one missing for me is the wireless one? Thats ok then.
I thought the graph looked quite informative too. Had to use inSSIDer to get an idea of other wireless networks in the past, but not being able to change the channel myself is frustrating. Is the ZyXel set to automatic?

Yes its automatic it seams to auto detect based on that graph

Ash

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Tue 10-Apr-12 20:54:38
Print Post

did you ring up about the wireless

Ash

Standard User TraceT
(learned) Tue 10-Apr-12 21:44:16
Print Post

Used live chat.
I only had to ask! Fantastic service!

Spoke to Jonathon who has always been brilliant help, whenever I needed it.
Highly recommended.

Hope you don't have even more menus more than me though wink
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Tue 10-Apr-12 21:54:15
Print Post

not that i know of lol, i would love admin access though lol use the router to its true £100+ value capabilities lol

2 days to go anyway cant WAIT!!

also on a + note i left a message on their FB page saying...

hi just been looking on think broadband and origin have announced a product above their 40meg that is basically is unlocked and will allow you to get speeds of what ever your line can handle will you also be allowing this or are you going to be capping it at max 80meg, i feel if you cap it at 80 then you will lose potential custom to origin who are offering as fast as you can go for £35 their guide shows some people connecting at 121meg http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5160-origin-shows...

And got back...

Hi Ash, We've already anounced that higher speed services are coming later this month. As you can probably tell Digital Region have released this higher speed services to their ISPs recently. We will be announcing our pricing and exact details this week. I can confirm though that we won't be capping anything. With the new rules on how ISPs can advertise speeds, quoting unachieveable speeds for the vast majority we don't feel is helpful, but again we won't be capping anyone on these high speed services.

So it seams although they put 80megs coming later this month it looks like their uncapping it like origin has on their origin max product

Ash

Edited by acpsd775 (Tue 10-Apr-12 21:56:15)

Standard User TraceT
(learned) Tue 10-Apr-12 22:09:15
Print Post

Hmmmn I've read about it, but not sure I want to spend even more money for Internet access though, tbh.
Recently paid £92 in connection/setup fees on top of my monthly sub to LBO as it is.

You starting a new thread when you get connected, to share your thoughts on their TV services when you've had a good play?

Managed to go off your original topic a bit lately........sorry.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Wed 11-Apr-12 13:25:15
Print Post

Hmmmn I've read about it, but not sure I want to spend even more money for Internet access though, tbh.
Recently paid £92 in connection/setup fees on top of my monthly sub to LBO as it is.

You starting a new thread when you get connected, to share your thoughts on their TV services when you've had a good play?

Managed to go off your original topic a bit lately........sorry.

Yea i think i will once ive had a play with it lol BB gos live this Thursday and TV box gets delivered 16th so next Monday so i think about Tuesday/Wednesday it will oni take me a few hours to master the box and get my feelings on it lol .

TBH i dont mind paying the extra when i was with virgin media i payed £35 for 100meg and £13.90 for phone so £48.90 (they wanted £45 for 100meg if i didn't take phone so for the £3.90 more i had phone lol), So if LBO charge £35 like origin for their uncapped service im happy to pay it i no longer pay for phone rental some one else payed it 1 year in advance lol so the line rental money i would be paying will over the upgrade price lol.

According to origins graph listed below which should apply to LBO too seen as they both use DRN.

Distance Downstream Upstream
147 m 106 Mbps 22 Mbps
171 m 121 Mbps 27 Mbps
183 m 98 Mbps 9 Mbps
245 m 104 Mbps 21.6 Mbps
248 m 107 Mbps 27 Mbps
269 m 98 Mbps 27 Mbps
392 m 81.5 Mbps19.8 Mbps
416 m 96 Mbps 30 Mbps
490 m 76 Mbps 24.2 Mbps
612 m 56 Mbps 22 Mbps
857 m 32 Mbps 8.5 Mbps
1372 m 22 Mbps 1.7 Mbps

i am apparently 328M according to some one at LBO no idea were they got the precise number from but ill take their word lol, I new it was some were between 300 and 325 from google maps though so w/e.

So i could expect speeds or at least 80meg, 392 m 81.5 Mbps/19.8 Mbps, 416 m 96 Mbps/ 30 Mbps those are much longer lines than mine obviously i know every line is different because of age ETC but id be happy with at least 60 and the upload will be worth it for me

that turned into a bit of an essay lol

Ash

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 12-Apr-12 13:03:40
Print Post

Am now connected

Speedtest.net

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13342...

https://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pA3UzTGIeI7e_...

VDSL WAN Up 46532/21708 kbps

The Think broadband speed test has never really worked for me properly when i was on 100meg i could never get past 50-60

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Apr-12 19:45:29
Print Post

The Think broadband speed test has never really worked for me properly when i was on 100meg i could never get past 50-60

I assume that was Virgin Media 100meg rather than a corporate connection?

James - be* pro - 16.8 or 17.2mbps BQM
Still waiting for FTTC cabinet since Mar 2011- THFB PCP 5
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 12-Apr-12 19:49:28
Print Post

yea was vermin media lol goto admit i spent more time on 50 than i ever did on 100 was a waste of a tenner a month 50 was always rock solid then as soon as 100meg became available i upgraded and it was horrible up and down all time never went past 5 meg up either never saw anything near 10 up

The only odd thing about LBO is they've phisicaly capped the speed of the download so it cant go past 45 but the upload is aloud to sync at its full but caped to only allow 11 threw put they said as soon as upto 80 comes out at end or month (or w.e speed they decide on) theyll unlock my download too odd ay
Ash

Just re-synced router with the provided filter and it went to VDSL WAN Up 58352/25108 kbps

littlebigone.com FTTC 46532/21708 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps

Edited by acpsd775 (Thu 12-Apr-12 21:02:56)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to