General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User timneo
(newbie) Tue 01-May-12 21:28:22
Print Post

Re: tim_n

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The wire comes in under the roof tiles into the loft and terminate in a 4 way connection plate. Nothing else BT wise follows that point. Everything else has been installed by the previous owner. It's not a 5 min job to get to it as you need to traverse the insulation to get to this point. I've run cat 6 from this point into the lounge instead of the kitchen sink. The router is now in the lounge with the new master switch (non BT)
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Tue 01-May-12 21:58:02
Print Post

[re: timneo] [link to this post]

If they ask, which they may well do considering the non standard NTE, just expalin you have just moved in and this is how it was. They will probably/should change it for an Openreach NTE and fit the VDSL faceplate.
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(learned) Tue 01-May-12 22:11:22
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
If they ask, which they may well do considering the non standard NTE, just expalin you have just moved in and this is how it was. They will probably/should change it for an Openreach NTE and fit the VDSL faceplate.

Seconded.

Given that you really did just recently move in, there's no way for them to prove otherwise.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-May-12 22:13:42
Print Post

smile
Sounds good.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User timneo
(newbie) Tue 01-May-12 22:23:07
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

Thanks all - I might need to tidy it all up a bit seeing as there is another extension about 1ft away and the one in the kitchen is pretty all over the place!
Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-May-12 23:53:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It sounds probable you are doing unnecessary (and illegitimate) work

Ah - some work whose mother isn't married !!!

Standard User timneo
(newbie) Thu 03-May-12 14:29:30
Print Post

Today line is sitting happily at 7.15mbits

Annoyed! Don't need FTTC now! Shame I've already ordered it!

Amazing what a difference a bit of Cat 6 has made.

Decided to put the line back 'as is'. Using some links from robertos site, I've identifed which is my master socket and it is indeed the original one I disconnected - but it's obviously been moved sometime in the last 20 years by the previous owner. My master socket is a pre 1982 one.

When the guy turns up, I'll take him to it. Hopefully he'll wire it up without taking much notice and I'll have fibre at much reduced speeds. Once he's gone, I can then 'sort it out' or alternatively if he's a nice guy who doesn't look like he'll mind I'll show him the new disconnected illegal socket which'll do a top job.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I was hoping to leave it to the wife to deal with but I can see it'll probably need my blagging skills.

Edited by timneo (Thu 03-May-12 14:36:13)

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 03-May-12 14:37:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by timneo:
Annoyed! Don't need FTTC now! Shame I've already ordered it!

Assuming you're expecting somewhere near the maximum speed, once you get it I assure you you will soon wonder how you managed without it!

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Standard User timneo
(newbie) Thu 03-May-12 15:50:51
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

hehe, yes still looking forward to it. I wish I'd installed Cat6 cabling through the rennovated bit of the house, now it's plastered in there is little I can do. Mind you, it's still Cat5e so should be OK for gigabit!

Next I need to rip out the mulitude of aerial cabling in the loft - the guy before was a bit of a radio nut and had four telegraph poles in the garden with an assortment of 14 aerials and several sat dishes. There's still an AM radio in my loft and about 30-45 different aerial leads I need to remove! I'm sure it's creating some sort of faraday cage (less need for tin foil hats)

I've also applied for the plusnet 80/20 trial. It was good I did because apparently their system can't take more than one order at a time - my new telephone line had overwritten my fibre order and whilst I thought an engineer was coming out tuesday, that had been cancelled! Instead though they're sticking me straight onto the 80/20 trial instead but it'll be a week later!
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Thu 03-May-12 21:26:22
Print Post

Sounds like your having right fun and games with the spaghetti wiring.

Cat5e will be fine for Gigabit, I've completely wired my house with it, although most of it was shielded cable and it runs fine, regularly max out my network connection with transfers from/to my server.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to