General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 26-Dec-12 15:38:16
Print Post

Re: A knowledge confirmation/correction please

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

the 30M is presumably the CIR for your 80M service, which may stimulate some thoughts.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Dec-12 17:30:02
Print Post

Huh. Just noticed that I mentioned switching off the modem in my first message. That's wrong. I almost never touch the modem. It's the router I switch off for 20 minutes to ensure the session is cleared.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.

Edited by Andrue (Wed 26-Dec-12 17:30:37)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Dec-12 17:04:20
Print Post

Thar she blows!

Hopefully:

My Broadband Ping

Interesting though. The first big red bar is me telling my NetGear to disconnect and leaving it that way for half an hour. It didn't work. The second red bar is me powering off the NetGear for 20 minutes - that seems to have worked. I'm getting full speed and the maximum latency spikes are gone. I'll check again tonight but I reckon it'll be back to a nice clean trace again.

Note: At no point have I powered off my modem.

So that confirms it's not a line fault. It also suggests that disconnecting the router is not the same as powering off whatever that proves.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Fri 28-Dec-12 17:05:00)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Fri 28-Dec-12 17:10:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrue:
It also suggests that disconnecting the router is not the same as powering off whatever that proves.

It may mean that the problem is your router. Does it get very hot when left powered on?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 28-Dec-12 17:11:40
Print Post

It also suggests that disconnecting the router is not the same as powering off whatever that proves.
It proves that a router OS can get screwed up in knots just like any other. Only a reboot solves that - and occasionally even a power off is needed, as you did.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Dec-12 18:57:54
Print Post

[re: Uilebheist] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Uilebheist:

It may mean that the problem is your router. Does it get very hot when left powered on?
No, just normal. And anyway no temperature related fault would only trigger on the 19th of every other month and more significantly the fault was present when I connected my laptop directly.

Anyway my connection is now stable and happy so we can certainly eliminate interference. I'm also confident we can eliminate my router or my network. So the fault lies in the cabinet, BTw or IDNet.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Fri 28-Dec-12 19:05:53)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Dec-12 18:59:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It proves that a router OS can get screwed up in knots just like any other. Only a reboot solves that - and occasionally even a power off is needed, as you did.
No it doesn't.

As I wrote in one of my other replies:

'This time I will first tell the router to disconnect (which hopefully terminates the current PPP session so I don't have to wait 20 minutes)'.

Normally as indicated in other messages in this thread I power the router off for 20 minutes or so.. It's been powered off several times in the last week already. The disconnect was something new I thought I'd try since it could be done from my armchair without going upstairs. Apparently it's not as effective which is curious but certainly doesn't suggest the router is at fault.

In any case prior to starting this thread as part of sensible due diligence I'd already bypassed the router and connected my laptop directly. The same fault was present. Obviously a router fault cannot also affect a laptop wink

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Fri 28-Dec-12 19:03:42)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 28-Dec-12 19:07:39
Print Post

As I said at the start of the thread. If you're trying to blame this on the router then explain why:

a)It only happens on the 19th of every other month.
b)The fault was also present when I connected to the modem directly using my laptop.
tongue smile
You will of course remember most of the detail of your own threads and posts.

I responded to the post I replied to, and specifically my quote from it. Now that you remind me, indeed I agree with you. The most striking feature is indeed the fixed bi-monthly 19th.

Yah boo! smile smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Dec-12 20:31:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
As I said at the start of the thread. If you're trying to blame this on the router then explain why:

a)It only happens on the 19th of every other month.
b)The fault was also present when I connected to the modem directly using my laptop.
tongue smile
You will of course remember most of the detail of your own threads and posts.

I responded to the post I replied to, and specifically my quote from it. Now that you remind me, indeed I agree with you. The most striking feature is indeed the fixed bi-monthly 19th.

Yah boo! smile smile
Lol! Well anyway it's over for another two months. I have to decide how to approach IDNet with this. No doubt they'll dismiss the speed difference, dismiss the latency or dismiss the crippled service over Christmas. Probably blame interference again and tell me to wander around my neighbourhood with a medium wave radio.

Faults are one thing - it's disinterest and feeble excuses from their technical support that I hate. If I wanted to bang my head on the wall talking to badly trained monkeys I'd have signed up with BT :-/

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Sat 29-Dec-12 11:49:31
Print Post

Going right back to the original post

I've used Bald_Eagle's tool to download some graphs and they show little to no variation in the bits per tone or SNR over the course of half an hour. Would I be correct in saying that the cause of my current 30Mb/s throughput cap cannot be interference?

It is very common to have interference that is time of day dependent, with sometimes quite extreme differences. So a stable signal over 1/2 hour is not nearly enough to indicate line quality; you need to monitor for at least a couple of days.

Many people who have such interference would like the higher speeds when it is possible, even thought that would force regular disconnects when the noise starts. DLM does not allow you to make such a choice.

A modem log (eg form Bald_Eagle's tool) is an excellent start to diagnosing this. Sometimes it will point to a noise source that can easily be eliminated. Unfortunately, such noise is difficult to track down even when you have an excellent log, and often realistically impossible to fix even if identified.

~~~
When I was on BE ADSL I had a regular 18/19Mb connection. At one point, a noise source started from 8:00am to 9:00am each day, reducing my speed to 15Mb or less. After a few months it went away, and I was never able to identify it. At least, as BE didn't use DLM, I could resync after 9:00 when I knew form the stats that the noise had gone away and get my normal speed for the rest of they day if I needed it.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to