General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Feb-13 21:34:36
Print Post

Re: A knowledge confirmation/correction please

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
Andrue wow so not just my line having it rough.
Really? I thought it was pretty reasonable for ~500 metres from the cab and 72Mb/s sync. It stays connected for months at a time. The sync last week was me unplugging everything to replace the extension cable. Prior to that it had been connected since late December. I had the same stability on ADSL2+ - I used to run my Be connection at 3db during the summer and 6db during the winter.

The sync is a bit lower than when I first got it last April (it was 79999 then with 82Mb/s attainable) but it is still winter. It may yet bounce back.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Feb-13 22:12:27
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
Really? I thought it was pretty reasonable for ~500 metres from the cab and 72Mb/s sync.

You're lucky to get that sync at 500m. I'm about 510m and I get:
Max: Upstream rate = 9090 Kbps, Downstream rate = 55152 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 10497 Kbps, Downstream rate = 48945 Kbps

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Feb-13 00:26:30
Print Post

well your hlog is better than mine and your attenuation is similiar (almost same).

Before BT added other customers to my cabinet I had 110/36 attainable, thats the basis of me saying a low 70s sync is poor.

If we ignore both those things, your QLN is still higher than average (roughly doubled).

and yeah even with this QLN my line is actually pretty stable as well. I have only had 2 confirmed loss of sync, one was when my attainable dropped from 90 to 73 (which ultimately caused a loss of sync as it went from 80 to 71) and another a few days back when my BRAS rate went from 78 back down to 69 which I believe was down to a DLM change, and also a unconfirmed one 2 days before that also I believe down to DLM both times adjusting my power cutback.

I been exchanging some emails with asboguy on FTTC DLM (he has actually got hold of a HG dslam and looked at how it operates etc.) and he is an agreement with me that DLM probably manages power cutback so its far more complex than adsl DLM.

I am going on attenuation rather than estimated distance for comparison purposes, as people can easily get their distance wrong. eg. I am 200m from my cabinet, you are 500m and we both have the same attenuation smile

Do you know roughly on average how many crc errors you getting a day? thanks.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 22-Feb-13 00:29:43)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Feb-13 08:10:50
Print Post

Before BT added other customers to my cabinet I had 110/36 attainable, thats the basis of me saying a low 70s sync is poor.
That's interesting. When the engineer installed mine he did laugh when I asked if I'd get the full 80, he said it should easily do that. Also to be fair in the distant past there did appear to be noise problems. Back when I was on IPStream the DLM had me on 12db.
I should do - Bald Eagle's monitoring should show it somewhere. I've never had a major resync. Aside from these 'five days of madness' I've been consistent. My connection speed has dropped from 79 to 72 since late summer but that's all.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Feb-13 13:07:26
Print Post

yep my ADSL days lets just say were 'eventful'. smile

RobertoS initial analysis of my D side been poor is probably ultimately the problem causing crosstalk intereference issues and DLM managing power across all its ports to minimise the effect. So although my line can handle a higher sync, it may well be having a fatal impact on neighbouring lines.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 22-Feb-13 13:13:35)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Feb-13 19:01:52
Print Post

I'm not sure how I'd find that out. There's this graph:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2hnyssj.png

Which suggests a fairly steady 3 or four an hour I think.

Attainable rate has been steady at 73Mb/s throughout. BaldEagle has looked at the complete set of the last week and pointed out that I don't have interleaving either. My line might not be running as well as one would expect but I don't see anything that would explain this:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13615...

Do you?

FWIW this was before the onset:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13612...

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Feb-13 19:48:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrue:
Attainable rate has been steady at 73Mb/s throughout. BaldEagle has looked at the complete set of the last week and pointed out that I don't have interleaving either. My line might not be running as well as one would expect but I don't see anything that would explain this:

I'm guessing a fault on your port in the FTTC cabinet, but I have no idea you'd get a "lift and shift" equivalent.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Feb-13 19:52:24
Print Post

yeah you can either check in the gui one day then check the same time the next day and do a maths calculation or there is this telnet command.

xdslcmd info --stats

it will show stats for last 24 hours in the output somewhere.

On my line the error stats arent great, and they werent great even before my QLN jumped up. But they also not terrible as my line hasnt been interleaved.

Usually I average 1200 a day, but there has been at least one bad day this week and it seems it was within the last 24 hours.

As I see this.

Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
FEC: 0 0
CRC: 5533 0
ES: 904 254
SES: 5 6
UAS: 0 0
LOS: 0 0
LOF: 0 0

But the last 8 hours have been about normal.

Latest 1 day time = 8 hours 58 min 13 sec
FEC: 0 0
CRC: 337 0
ES: 225 105
SES: 0 0

I have seen people post error stats where they getting less than half a dozen in an entire day which is I guess what one would expect when no crosstalk and a good D side. But even when I had huge snrm on a 110 attainable sync I was getting 100s a day. Not noticeble tho, its not like my adsl days where I actually was affected by huge amounts of crc errors.

Given all you have posted tho this isnt related to your issue so sorry if I sidetracked you. I asked for your error stats as a comparison to mine since we have very similiar attenuation and QLN.

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 22-Feb-13 19:52:53)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Feb-13 19:56:22
Print Post

On my line the error stats arent great, and they werent great even before my QLN jumped up. But they also not terrible as my line hasnt been interleaved.

Mine are totally different to yours, and I'm interleaved.

Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
FEC: 1647061 11963
CRC: 1243 474
ES: 254 389
SES: 0 0

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Feb-13 20:04:01
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I think its a matter of time before I am interleaved, at least if I carry on using the HG.

I have 16 red specks on my tbb graph today, using the ECI just about every day there is 0. I am only using the hg currently for a few weeks to see if DLM touches my line again so I can monitor the sync speed. I plan to long term use the ECI again as its better for my connection.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to