General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 27-Jan-19 08:48:49
Print Post

Re: FTTP installed

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Trading or training? wink

Adding to that idea though, maybe thatís why the 4-port one has been dropped. Counting to 4 might be beyond some CS staff.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 27-Jan-19 08:51:16)

Standard User Jonno21
(newbie) Sun 27-Jan-19 08:51:45
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Interesting to note how much complexity is involved for FTTP especially when used to just seeing the master socket. I'm afraid that unless the installation can be vastly tidied up in the future it won't pass the "wife test". Our installation would have to be through the living room wall or the upstairs bedroom. We have an internal garage built into the house (semi) and the existing outside shared ducting connection comes out underground in between mine and the neighbours garage and the wires split to serve both properties.

My wire then snakes around under the guttering of the garage and then upstairs into the bedroom where the master socket is. At present, even in geek mode I couldn't tolerate the mass of wires and ugliness of the installation.

(Sorry, meant to reply to thread and not individual post. Each forum works differently - Noob to this forum)

Edited by Jonno21 (Sun 27-Jan-19 08:54:12)

Standard User candlerb
(committed) Sun 27-Jan-19 08:55:07
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
I prefer the 4 Port ONT, at least with that if Port1 dies the config to be moved to one of the other ports.

I don't believe you can do that - at least, not without re-provisioning by your ISP - since the service is bound to an individual port.

I suspect the reason the 4-port ONTs were dropped was to save a few pennies, given that the vast majority of users took only a single data service. Still, it would have been nice when changing ISP to have the old ISP on one port and the new ISP on another.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Jan-19 09:01:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ah yes, post before reading strikes again ...

They are still around.

My guess would be cost .......

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Jan-19 09:27:44
Print Post

[re: Jonno21] [link to this post]

Its actually not that complex nor does it have to be wife-unfriendly wink

The fibre enters my living room from the external CSP and its no more than a 5m cable run to the ONT. I politely refused to have a BBU installed to keep things tidier and it doesn't look too bad. On the old fibre lead-in kits, you had up to 30m of internal cabling allowed, you now have up to 160m allowed from the ONT to the DP on the connectorized installs.

https://i.postimg.cc/q7LWM0jN/IMG-261.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/QtdwFPy0/IMG-262.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/2yPKX58K/IMG-285.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/RC8y0gQL/IMG-290.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/mkcnw9R9/IMG-295.jpg

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Jan-19 09:58:53
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
I prefer the 4 Port ONT, at least with that if Port1 dies the config to be moved to one of the other ports.

I don't believe you can do that - at least, not without re-provisioning by your ISP - since the service is bound to an individual port.

I suspect the reason the 4-port ONTs were dropped was to save a few pennies, given that the vast majority of users took only a single data service. Still, it would have been nice when changing ISP to have the old ISP on one port and the new ISP on another.

I am not too sure if you was referring to me just swapping the ports, I was referring to BT changing the port to use and then asking me to move the WAN cable to that port.

I say this due to a few months back we lost internet yet our phone via FVA worked fine, spoke to BT's FTTP Team who went through loads of tests and could see our ONT connected.

They then asked if it was plugged in Port 1 which it was when I checked, I was asked if I had any spare cables which I did and still nothing.

I was then put on hold for about 5 or so mins while they was checking something, so I played with the WAN cable by plugging it in the other ports and it was working on port 3, when they came back I told them its connecting up when its in port 3 and they could confirm it connected and confirmed it was on port 3, they sounded confused why it was using port 3.

I was then told to plug it back in port 1 and then wait.
Was doing stuff around the home and when I checked later on I could see it was working.

Now what caused this I have no clue due to I was never told.
Maybe they requested for it to be reset back to port 1, who knows, but its been fine since.

But yeah I think it was to save on the build cost and like you said not many people would order more than one FTTP connection by different ISP's.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Jan-19 10:06:05
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Its actually not that complex nor does it have to be wife-unfriendly wink

Yeah, ours is in the living room also, we have a sideboard next to it and the left side of it masks the ONT and the BBU etc.

I was asked by the engineer if I wanted in the small cupboard fixed to the wall the CSP was fixed on, but due to heat I opted for the wall.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Jan-19 10:09:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
In reply to a post by Garlic:
That larger box cover is good - much better than my job where they just left the battery backup and terminal box+wires exposed.

... but yours is a four port ONT. Swings and roundabouts innit.

Our engineer cable tied all our cables so ours is neat and tidy, mind you they got given a free new drill battery that a builder left 4 months before.

Paul

Standard User Garlic
(regular) Sun 27-Jan-19 10:19:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
That larger box cover is good - much better than my job where they just left the battery backup and terminal box+wires exposed.

... but yours is a four port ONT. Swings and roundabouts innit.

Perhaps,they made a right mess outside with the cable as well. I hear some don't even get the battery backup now.

-----------
FTTP 80/20
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Jan-19 10:24:17
Print Post

[re: Garlic] [link to this post]

Perhaps,they made a right mess outside with the cable as well. I hear some don't even get the battery backup now.

As far as I was aware you only get the BBU if you was also having FVA.

Paul

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to