General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(regular) Thu 14-Nov-19 14:48:41
Print Post

Multivendor FTTP Confusion

[link to this post]

You know it's serious when I find myself asking about things on here.

I'm working on a project, as one does. I'm having an excruciating time trying to get a straight answer out of which variety of OLT serves a couple of postcodes.

WF2 8ZA and 8ZB.

I suspect they have mixed technology PONs with some ECI and some Huawei. Openreach assure that it's all Huawei - they are wrong - BT Wholesale if there's Huawei kit there have no 10G Cablelinks to any of it.

A property on the postcodes most definitely had an ECI ONT. These don't cross technology. However a more newly built one has Huawei ONT so either there are multiple PONs with different technologies or they've taken the hit on telemetry and provisioned Huawei ONTs onto ECI OLTs as a temporary measure.

There are maps showing cabinet mappings to OLTs. Must be something regarding PONs to OLTs somewhere?

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(regular) Thu 14-Nov-19 14:51:35
Print Post

Re: Multivendor FTTP Confusion

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

Small response to myself - probably irrelevant but all commercial FTTC cabinets on this exchange, Wakefield, are ECI. Subsequent BDUK cabinets are Huawei. There are a pair of ECI OLTs and a pair of Huawei OLTs at the headend there.

There is no G.fast.

Standard User busterboy
(member) Thu 14-Nov-19 18:29:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by CarlTSpeak:
You know it's serious when I find myself asking about things on here.

I'm working on a project, as one does. I'm having an excruciating time trying to get a straight answer out of which variety of OLT serves a couple of postcodes.

WF2 8ZA and 8ZB.

Off topic

The bottom of Broadway, my daughter lives there. smile

BTBroadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Blmcg
(regular) Thu 14-Nov-19 21:03:57
Print Post

Openreach are accurate in what they have told you!

I wouldn't hold your breath on Wholesale upgrading to 10G CL for this one either, likely in for a wait.

Blair McGregor
Network Architect - Syscomm
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(regular) Fri 15-Nov-19 11:49:19
Print Post

[re: Blmcg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Blmcg:
Openreach are accurate in what they have told you!

I wouldn't hold your breath on Wholesale upgrading to 10G CL for this one either, likely in for a wait.

Interesting. There are a bunch of ECI ONTs all over the place in the properties. When did they start mixing them?

I guess following on from this why the reluctance to purchase the 10G Cablelink? Lack of FTTP/G.fast to serve? Anathema as it is to Mike 3.5% Kiely BDUK are doing some FTTP in the area.

Edited by CarlTSpeak (Fri 15-Nov-19 11:51:48)

Standard User CarlTSpeak
(regular) Fri 15-Nov-19 12:15:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by CarlTSpeak:
I guess following on from this why the reluctance to purchase the 10G Cablelink? Lack of FTTP/G.fast to serve? Anathema as it is to Mike 3.5% Kiely BDUK are doing some FTTP in the area.

Actually never mind on that one. I wouldn't be that surprised if they've done what they did when FTTC was kicking off again. Relied on LAGing rather than upgrading chassis to provide more 10 GbE ports and they're now out of ports in the cards and slots in the chassis to install cards with 10 Gb ports.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 15-Nov-19 12:17:08
Print Post

Hang on. If Openreach are right as blmcg says, then they canít be mixing them.

Therefore either Openreach are wrong, or somebody there misunderstood the question.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(regular) Fri 15-Nov-19 12:43:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Hang on. If Openreach are right as blmcg says, then they canít be mixing them.

Therefore either Openreach are wrong, or somebody there misunderstood the question.

ECI ONTs may be used with Huawei OLTs. It's not ideal for a bunch of reasons but it's doable.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 15-Nov-19 12:55:22
Print Post

Oops, sorry smile. I got mixed up about the topology you had described.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
  Print Thread

Jump to