General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Jan-19 04:48:13
Print Post

Re: FTTP installed

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Not true Paul, they should all have a BBU fitted .....

yes, I know some donít get them through customer choice.

Oh ok, I learnt something new LOL

I know our engineer wasn't originally going to install ours, but when I saw no BBU being fitted and mentioned that our phone was going to be moved over to FVA he then fitted the BBU.

Due to BT messed up with our FVA order which was originally due to be moved over the same time as the internal install (i.e. stage 2) he made the cable with the BT Plug 431A (I think that's the connector) at one end and connected that to the ONT and tacked the cable to the skirting board and left the cable coiled up near the NTE5A Master Socket.

He then said once FVA is ready (I.e. TEL1 is lit or flashing) swap the copper line with this new cable and then go through the process (i.e. phone 142 599 and follow the instructions) which I did and its been fine.

BTW how long do those supplied batteries last in the BBU before they need to be changed, I have not even checked what brand they are, I know the manual might of said when to change them, but sadly we never got a manual when it was installed.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Jan-19 04:50:40
Print Post

[re: bedrock] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bedrock:
I have the BBU, inside the single ONT case, but no FVA, they left voice on the existing copper

Yeah Zarjaz did mention that, I guess its for when they get around to removing copper line, assuming they do, or its to keep the ONT Synced up.

Paul

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Jan-19 05:36:04
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

No manual comes with Iím afraid ....

If the rechargeable batteries fail, then youíll get the fault light come on on the BBU

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Jan-19 06:40:00
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
No manual comes with Iím afraid ....

If the rechargeable batteries fail, then youíll get the fault light come on on the BBU

Yeah I had a feeling there was no manual.
As for the fault light so its like a low power UPS instead of using SLA it uses AA batteries.

Paul

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Jan-19 09:15:07
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Voice requirements are changing so once its all voice over broadband only vulnerable customers will be given battery back up solution

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Jan-19 09:37:49
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Well that's not even me friendly let alone "wife-friendly". It's not awful but you have cables clipped on top of the skirting board and a monstrosity of a router on a table in the living room.

I could not be doing with any visible cables clipped anywhere and I like my access points stuck on the ceiling where they are not noticeable and don't take up space, with the router out of sight in next to the patch panel with all the Cat6a runs around the house terminate and the home server/NAS, and UPS are also located.

1) For a domestic property, I very much doubt Openreach would start knocking down walls, install their ezy-bend fibre cable and then re-build the walls to keep the fibre cable totally hidden.

2) I have absolutely no need to install ceiling mounted access points. My router - connected via a short 30cm cat 5e cable to the ONT - gives me full wifi coverage throughout the home. Having wafer thin walls helps wrt wifi, if I had 1m thick walls then perhaps I would need additional hardware. Sometimes keeping things simple is best smile

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Jan-19 09:51:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Voice requirements are changing so once its all voice over broadband only vulnerable customers will be given battery back up solution

Ok, well that makes sense.

Paul

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Jan-19 10:05:08
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Well that's not even me friendly let alone "wife-friendly". It's not awful but you have cables clipped on top of the skirting board and a monstrosity of a router on a table in the living room.

I could not be doing with any visible cables clipped anywhere and I like my access points stuck on the ceiling where they are not noticeable and don't take up space, with the router out of sight in next to the patch panel with all the Cat6a runs around the house terminate and the home server/NAS, and UPS are also located.

2) I have absolutely no need to install ceiling mounted access points. My router - connected via a short 30cm cat 5e cable to the ONT - gives me full wifi coverage throughout the home. Having wafer thin walls helps wrt wifi, if I had 1m thick walls then perhaps I would need additional hardware. Sometimes keeping things simple is best smile

I agree with this to a point, ours comes in through the wall from the CSP into our living room and then into the ONT with very little fibre cable used between the two, I have a very short CAT5e cable from the ONT WAN Port 1 to my Linksys WRT 3200 ACM and then from Ethernet Port 1 its connection to the SamKnows White Box and then onto our Lan.

We have a dual gang Ethernet Points in each room that needs them and each room has a 5 port 1Gbit Switch.

I went with 5 Port Switches instead of adding the required cables due to they were cheap and saves me pulling several cables through to where the main Ethernet Switch was located along with our in house servers.

As for using Wi-Fi no router with Wi-Fi will cover our whole building, its either the front, or the back or the middle that will get Wi-Fi not all.

I could add AP for the rear of the building, but I was holding that off till I decide what to do, I might just disable Wi-Fi on the router and just buy a couple of AP and place them to cover the whole building.

Paul

Standard User Garlic
(regular) Mon 28-Jan-19 10:26:16
Print Post

[re: Jonno21] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jonno21:
In reply to a post by Garlic:
In reply to a post by Jonno21:
... nested quotes trimmed ...

Thanks for this. It does look less "busy" than the other installation. The next bridge to cross will be having part of the drive and garden dug up to enable the boxes to be installed in the lounge, plus extra electrical sockets. We didn't bother with Virgin as it would have meant digging up the garden to install the cable from the pavement as the junction box in the pavement aligns exactly with the neighbour's boundary hedge. The drive and garden upheaval would definitely not pass the wife test. Looks like FTTP is dead in the water for me.

Dug fibre though my garden. Frankly as long as you remove the turf carefully you can put it back and it hardly shows in a few weeks.

They will also have to dig up around 20 foot of concrete drive which will then need to be reinstated. Don't get me wrong, I'm as much of a geek as the next person and would love to have FTTP, (although it's not available in my area at the moment)

Should only need to be done once. Frankly you'll only end up regretting it as in the long term it will badly hurt your house price if you don't. Shoulnd't be that long Fttp is ramping up nicely all over the place atm.

-----------
FTTP 80/20
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Mon 28-Jan-19 10:33:13
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
1) For a domestic property, I very much doubt Openreach would start knocking down walls, install their ezy-bend fibre cable and then re-build the walls to keep the fibre cable totally hidden.

Probably not, but then I would have installed suitable conduit myself prior to Openreach arriving. Failing that I would fix it after the fact.

Sure but it is a large ugly thing taking up most of a side table in your living room. Hardly in the category of "wife friendly" IMHO. Ceiling mounted access points with no visible cables that are inconspicuous (just look like another smoke detector), and further don't take up otherwise usable space are way more "wife friendly". They are also child friendly too as being mounted on the ceiling they are not easy to interfere with.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to