General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Jan-19 12:12:23
Print Post

Re: FTTP installed

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Sure but it is a large ugly thing taking up most of a side table in your living room. Hardly in the category of "wife friendly" IMHO. Ceiling mounted access points with no visible cables that are inconspicuous (just look like another smoke detector), and further don't take up otherwise usable space are way more "wife friendly". They are also child friendly too as being mounted on the ceiling they are not easy to interfere with.

Exactly - that's just your opinion smile My other half is happy with the router & its placement and we don't have any small kids/pets so unlikely to ever get knocked over. Btw most of the high end 4x4 routers these days are of similar size/appearance. Or do you really think a router/access point the size of a smoke alarm can perform as well as a router with a quadcore CPU and 1 GB ram?

Horses for courses and all that...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Mon 28-Jan-19 13:41:22
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
do you really think a router/access point the size of a smoke alarm can perform as well as a router with a quadcore CPU and 1 GB ram?

Yes: try the Unifi AC Lite. I have two of these (ceiling mounted) and they work really well, as well as having excellent management software. But it's not a router, you still need one of those as well.

The suggestion is to put the router in a cupboard somewhere, and then use ceiling mounted APs for wireless coverage, powered by PoE on CAT5e.

Of course, everyone does what suits them best. For me, the house is long and thin and I don't get good coverage from a single AP, so I have ceiling-mounted APs front and rear.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Jan-19 13:44:07
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

that's just your opinion

Oi, thatís my line grin

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User edgrant
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-19 13:49:45
Print Post

[re: max360] [link to this post]

My daughter has just moved into a new build house which has FTTP already installed. She has had BT Fibre switched on last Tuesday and it is working at around 50Mps so all ok. However, the router has 4 ports labelled 1-4 and each of these is connected to an individual socket around the house. She also has a BT Wifi router which I thought we should be able to connect to any of the 4 sockets and set up.
However having spent several (too many) hours trying to get this setup, testing all the 4 sockets back to the distribution box and the router etc., I have now discovered that the only port that will allow the WiFi router to work is Port #1!!
Sorry for my query but I expected that all 4 ports on the router would be live, however having read some posts on here am I correct in thinking that this is not the case? If so then presumably we cannot, for instance, connect a laptop to ports 2-4 and connect directly to the internet?
I would appreciate any help on this before we report the Router as suspected faulty to BT.
Thanks in advance.
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Jan-19 14:05:23
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
do you really think a router/access point the size of a smoke alarm can perform as well as a router with a quadcore CPU and 1 GB ram?

Yes: try the Unifi AC Lite. I have two of these (ceiling mounted) and they work really well, as well as having excellent management software. But it's not a router, you still need one of those as well.

The suggestion is to put the router in a cupboard somewhere, and then use ceiling mounted APs for wireless coverage, powered by PoE on CAT5e.

Of course, everyone does what suits them best. For me, the house is long and thin and I don't get good coverage from a single AP, so I have ceiling-mounted APs front and rear.

Exactly. My router (tri-band) gives me great wifi coverage in the home without any need for additional access points - I suspect having wafer thin walls helps a lot. Perhaps if i had very thick walls then yes, it would make sense to invest in additional APs or a Mesh System.

Linksys EA9500v2
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Jan-19 14:06:02
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
that's just your opinion

Oi, thatís my line grin

Sorry wink

Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Jan-19 14:07:34
Print Post

[re: edgrant] [link to this post]

Any chance you can post a link to a photo of what you are calling Ďthe routerí ?

If this is , as Iím guessing, a four port ONT, NOT the router, then that only port 1 works is correct ....

Where the cables from the rooms should be connected to is to the LAN ports on the rear of the router ( the BT box with the blue light on it)

Standard User brookheather
(regular) Mon 28-Jan-19 14:09:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by edgrant:
the router has 4 ports labelled 1-4 and each of these is connected to an individual socket around the house. She also has a BT Wifi router which I thought we should be able to connect to any of the 4 sockets and set up.

It's not a router - it's an ONT - only port 1 is physically connected to the fibre optic cable and your BT router then connects to port 1 of the ONT - you can then plug in Ethernet cables in the four ports of the BT router and connect to the four sockets to provide internet in other rooms.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 28-Jan-19 14:11:28
Print Post

I think you mean the ports on the ONT, (Optical Network Termination), not the router? The BT Hub is the router.

Those on the ONT are for handing over from individual fibres, so up to four "FTTPs". Each if connected back to the exchange would serve another hub, or of course load-balancing or bonding kit if that can be done on FTTP.

Are you sure the other sockets are wired back to them? I'd expect them to be wired to the back of the normal NTE, but probably as phone-only.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Jan-19 14:16:40
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Illustrating one of the reasons for moving to a single port ONT

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to