General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dect
(regular) Mon 28-Jan-19 15:15:57
Print Post

Re: FTTP installed

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
it is a large ugly thing taking up most of a side table in your living room.
Forget about wife friendly your comments are not very people friendly frown
Standard User edgrant
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-19 15:35:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks for your quick reply. I am at my daughters house now and you are correct, it is an ONT box!! which explains why only #1 terminal is live. The four sockets around the house are for internet connection as I have now connected ONT #1 to #2 and it is live to #2 in the lounge where she wants it and the BT WiFi router is now working fine.
The telephone is connected through separate wall boxes. We will need to place the WiFi router near to the ONT box and connect its terminals to the distribution connectors if we want internet on all four room connectors to be live. Many thanks for your replies, they are much appreciated.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 28-Jan-19 15:37:47
Print Post

[re: edgrant] [link to this post]

Well that's a novel way of (the builder?) wiring a house, but quite effective! LOL

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DougM
(committed) Mon 28-Jan-19 16:07:27
Print Post

[re: edgrant] [link to this post]

I just moved into a new-build house with a similar set-up. I've put the router next to the ONT, connected three of the router's ports to the panel, connected BT Whole Home WiFi discs to each of the ports around the house, and disabled WiFi on the router itself.

The result is blanket WiFi at 1300Mbps (~600Mbps tested throughput) across all three floors, with the added bonus that the discs themselves look good!

-==-
DougM
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Jan-19 17:02:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes indeed, and trust me, they can still get it wrong.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Jan-19 17:10:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Those on the ONT are for handing over from individual fibres, so up to four "FTTPs". Each if connected back to the exchange would serve another hub, or of course load-balancing or bonding kit if that can be done on FTTP.

Not quite Bob ....

A four port ONT served by a single fibre can provide four separate services to each of its WAN ports .....

Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Mon 28-Jan-19 18:11:33
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Sorry but that's not quite right either, the single fibre can supply a separate service to each port. 4 ports 4 FTTP services. smile
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Jan-19 18:24:17
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

..... but thatís exactly what I said ??

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Jan-19 18:40:56
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Assuming somebody has for instance 4x80mbits fttp services into one 4 port ont, how is that handled at the splitter stage - 4 streams or one multiplexed up into one 360mbits stream ?
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Mon 28-Jan-19 18:50:49
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

There is one physical light path, which is 2.4Gbps downstream and 1.2Gbps upstream. This is shared by all the ONTs on the same splitter. In the downstream direction, all ONTs receive the same 2.4Gbps stream, but discard data which is not addressed to them. In the upstream direction, each ONT takes it in turn to transmit; this is controlled by the OLT assigning timeslots. Transmit and receive are on different wavelengths and occur simultaneously.

Individual services are then timesliced out of this, and limited to the contracted speed. e.g. if you have a 330/50 service then the OLT at the other end will send you individual packets at 2.4Gbps, but rate limit them so that your total average data rate is 330Mbps. And upstream, the OLT will not allow you to send more than 50Mbps, since it controls the timeslots.

If you have a multi-port ONT, then it can present separate services on each ethernet port. As far as the end user is concerned, this behaves the same as if they had multiple separate ONTs.

Edited by candlerb (Mon 28-Jan-19 19:47:51)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to