General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Jan-19 21:21:04
Print Post

Re: FTTP installed

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
If you have a multi-port ONT, then it can present separate services on each ethernet port. As far as the end user is concerned, this behaves the same as if they had multiple separate ONTs.

so it separate, which was my initial guess but questioned it given that the stream is encrypted, and reasoned it would be less work to "bundle the 4 services together and decrypt a single feed and route to the lan ports" than have the ont to decrypt 4 separate feeds.
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Mon 28-Jan-19 22:58:50
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I don't think so. You said 4 separate services to each of the ports which is not the case.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 29-Jan-19 02:40:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Those on the ONT are for handing over from individual fibres, so up to four "FTTPs". Each if connected back to the exchange would serve another hub, or of course load-balancing or bonding kit if that can be done on FTTP.

Not quite Bob ....

A four port ONT served by a single fibre can provide four separate services to each of its WAN ports .....
Thanks Zarjaz.

I think some of the posters following yours aren't reading the word "separate" in the way I am. I think you are saying the end user could have 4 x 330/50 if they wished, perhaps from four ISPs, and any of those 4 could be a lower speed package as well, any mixture?

All coming down the single strand that is in effect end-user <> exchange.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Jan-19 04:15:34
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Realalemadrid:
I don't think so. You said 4 separate services to each of the ports which is not the case.

Despite his wording, Iím pretty sure Zarjaz meant 1 lan port supports 1 fttp line, therefore you can have up to 4 separate fttp lines on a 4 port ont.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Jan-19 04:17:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I think some of the posters following yours aren't reading the word "separate" in the way I am. I think you are saying the end user could have 4 x 330/50 if they wished, perhaps from four ISPs, and any of those 4 could be a lower speed package as well, any mixture?

All coming down the single strand that is in effect end-user <> exchange.

Correct.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Jan-19 06:04:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes Bob, thatís exactly what I was saying. smile

Standard User candlerb
(committed) Tue 29-Jan-19 08:33:05
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Despite his wording, Iím pretty sure Zarjaz meant 1 lan port supports 1 fttp line, therefore you can have up to 4 separate fttp lines on a 4 port ont.

It might be clearer to say "fttp service" rather than "fttp line", since a single fibre strand carries all four fttp services.

Also, I think it's better not to call them "lan ports". It is true that they *are* RJ45 ethernet, but they don't connect directly to your Local Area Network. The service is delivered as PPPoE, so you connect them to the WAN port of your router (or other device which can terminate a PPPoE session)
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Jan-19 08:58:36
Print Post

I didnít call them LAN ports ... though my description as a WAN ainít much better ...

A four port ONT served by a single fibre can provide four separate services to each of its WAN ports .....

... didnít say lines either now I re read it.

I reckon Iíll have to stick to knowing what I mean in my head grin

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Jan-19 09:04:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I reckon Iíll have to stick to knowing what I mean in my head grin

LOL, I get this all the time with Software and Hardware Engineering, I try to explain stuff and confuse the hell out of people yet its clear in my head.

Paul

Standard User dect
(regular) Tue 29-Jan-19 09:26:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:
There is one physical light path, which is 2.4Gbps downstream and 1.2Gbps upstream. This is shared by all the ONTs on the same splitter. In the downstream direction, all ONTs receive the same 2.4Gbps stream, but discard data which is not addressed to them. In the upstream direction, each ONT takes it in turn to transmit; this is controlled by the OLT assigning timeslots. Transmit and receive are on different wavelengths and occur simultaneously.

Individual services are then timesliced out of this, and limited to the contracted speed. e.g. if you have a 330/50 service then the OLT at the other end will send you individual packets at 2.4Gbps, but rate limit them so that your total average data rate is 330Mbps. And upstream, the OLT will not allow you to send more than 50Mbps, since it controls the timeslots.

If you have a multi-port ONT, then it can present separate services on each ethernet port. As far as the end user is concerned, this behaves the same as if they had multiple separate ONTs.
Hi All

Does anyone know when FTTP will start moving to using 2nd gen GPON (10G) for new deployments rather than 1st gen GPON (2.4G)? not that we currently need it but trying to introduce a standard that has been around for nearly 10 years now rather than continuing to install older 2.4G technology. I believe the existing architecture contains wavelength division multiplexing technology that allows both types to be sent down the same fibre. The only difference I can see for the end user would be a different ONT (due to its wavelength filter, although the manufacturer could start making a switchable version) and a parallel 10G OLT at the exchange.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to