General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Jan-19 09:34:39
Print Post

Re: FTTP installed

[re: dect] [link to this post]

If you take out the higher 0.5 or 1 Gbps services (at present very limited availability), then Openreach WILL upgrade the GPON hardware for your circuit at some point. Not sure on the exact spec of the new hardware though.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User dect
(regular) Tue 29-Jan-19 09:38:12
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Whatever anyone writes or says it can always been interpreted different ways, thinking about it is enough to make you paranoid smile
Standard User dect
(regular) Tue 29-Jan-19 09:43:42
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
If you take out the higher 0.5 or 1 Gbps services (at present very limited availability), then Openreach WILL upgrade the GPON hardware for your circuit at some point. Not sure on the exact spec of the new hardware though.
OK that's interesting so they do use 10G OLT's but only for those purchasing 0.5/1 Gbps services?

[Edit] added a question mark at the end incase I'm wrong and someone wants to politely correct me.

Edited by dect (Tue 29-Jan-19 09:56:28)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Jan-19 09:49:12
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Also, I think it's better not to call them "lan ports". It is true that they *are* RJ45 ethernet, but they don't connect directly to your Local Area Network. The service is delivered as PPPoE, so you connect them to the WAN port of your router (or other device which can terminate a PPPoE session)

Yeah I know Openreach based FTTP lines services require authentication (PPPoE), which I guess means the "LAN" port on the ONT is technically a RJ45 WAN port.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 29-Jan-19 09:52:02)

Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Tue 29-Jan-19 09:51:37
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Or do you really think a router/access point the size of a smoke alarm can perform as well as a router with a quadcore CPU and 1 GB ram?

1GB of RAM is utterly unnecessary for a home router. This the memory usage for a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Infinity doing 10Gbps routing via OSPF, VRRP and firewalling all as part of a stateful failover pair for a tier 3 HPC facility at work,
[email protected]:~$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 16054 415 15639 0 82 125
-/+ buffers/cache: 207 15847
Swap: 0 0 0

As you can see not even using 512MB out of the 16GB of RAM it has. The load average is similarly very low given it has 16 cores of 64bit MIPS goodness.
[email protected]:~$ uptime
09:22:48 up 306 days, 18:53, 1 user, load average: 2.84, 3.34, 3.52

For the vast majority of people the optimum placement of access points in their home is impossible with a combined router. In my house for example indoors I can get away with a single access point because it is ceiling mounted which allows me to place it in the radiographic centre of the house. If it was not ceiling mounted it would be in the middle of the floor, and then would not reach the second floor anyway. As I said before my access point and router don't take up any space that would otherwise be considered usable in my house.

You are clearly lucky in your situation however that does not make for good advice in general. I would also say most people would not be happy with such a huge monstrosity in their living room, and it is certainly not child friendly either. I am not sure it is teenager friendly either. I would want to have my router behind a locked cupboard and access points out of physical reach.

In general one or more UniFi AC LR's for example are a much better recommendation. I will also be getting security updates long after your consumer device has been hung out to dry by the manufacture too. Something I consider very important.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Jan-19 11:13:31
Print Post

That is the theory, in practice not aware of anyone actually ordering

In theory the £500 setup fee (much more than standard GPON) is meant to contribute to costs of XGPON kit

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User andyhurley
(regular) Tue 29-Jan-19 11:16:56
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

I would agree with this - when I switched to a unifi access point I was able to decommission 2 extensions and stop using the wifi from the main router altogether. It's all in the placement and having power over the cat 6 cable means I can place the access point in the most sensible place without worrying about power cables.

I don't actually have it ceiling mounted as it is not our property to punch holes in the ceiling of but it is on a high shelf near the dead centre of the house and provides reliable coverage throughout.

It's worth adding that it also never drops the wifi to random devices (particularly iPads) which the previous 6 combined routers all did regularly requiring a router reboot to get them active again.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Jan-19 11:26:07
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
I try to explain stuff and confuse the hell out of people yet its clear in my head.

Paul

hahahhaha i do the same. The biggest problem in describing this is that the wording at first glance makes sense, but then you think about it and then you realise its wrong because of x or y reason; and you say this out aloud - people then get completely confused except yourself.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Jan-19 11:33:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by dect:
The only difference I can see for the end user would be a different ONT (due to its wavelength filter, although the manufacturer could start making a switchable version) and a parallel 10G OLT at the exchange.

I thought with XG-PON, you didn't need a new ONT, than the existing 1 or 4 port ont, because then everyone else who is on the same signal [insert better wording] would also need a new ONT.
Standard User Jax2
(member) Tue 29-Jan-19 11:33:28
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Taras:
In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
I try to explain stuff and confuse the hell out of people yet its clear in my head.

Paul

hahahhaha i do the same. The biggest problem in describing this is that the wording at first glance makes sense, but then you think about it and then you realise its wrong because of x or y reason; and you say this out aloud - people then get completely confused except yourself.

The next stage is when you confuse yourself as well, believe me it happens!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to