General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Tue 29-Jan-19 11:59:51
Print Post

Re: FTTP installed

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I didn’t call them LAN ports

Indeed, I was replying to baby_frogmella who did. Sorry for the confusion.
Standard User dect
(regular) Tue 29-Jan-19 12:07:29
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Taras:
I thought with XG-PON, you didn't need a new ONT, than the existing 1 or 4 port ont, because then everyone else who is on the same signal [insert better wording] would also need a new ONT.
No that's not my understanding (I may be wrong so don't shoot me), the wavelength division multiplexing technology in the exchange allows both 2.4G and 10G to go down the same fibre and the wavelength filter in the ONT will then filter out either 2.4G or 10G. This means individual end users on the same fibre can be configured to use 2.4G or 10G .

Edited by dect (Tue 29-Jan-19 12:09:14)

Standard User candlerb
(committed) Tue 29-Jan-19 12:09:25
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Taras:
In reply to a post by dect:
The only difference I can see for the end user would be a different ONT (due to its wavelength filter, although the manufacturer could start making a switchable version) and a parallel 10G OLT at the exchange.

I thought with XG-PON, you didn't need a new ONT, than the existing 1 or 4 port ont, because then everyone else who is on the same signal [insert better wording] would also need a new ONT.

You are vehemently agreeing with each other smile

GPON and XGPON use different wavelengths, so they can sit side-by-side on the same fibre/splitter and not interfere with each other. If at the head-end you have an OLT which supports both GPON and XGPON (or two OLTs passively combined onto the same fibre), you can support a mix of subscribers with both types of ONT.

The only end users who would need to upgrade to a new ONT would be the ones who want to pay for the faster services. Those who are happy with GPON speeds remain as they are.

The reason for not deploying XGPON to everyone today is simply that the kit is more expensive at both ends, and is bound to get much cheaper over time. It's a bad investment to buy it today if you don't actually need the extra speed right now.

Edited by candlerb (Tue 29-Jan-19 12:51:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Jan-19 12:42:45
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

The demo done a couple of years ago was in a live area, with just one customer using the XGPON kit and nothing changed for the other GPON users.

One of the reasons for going to XGPON is not really the 1 Gbps service, since lots of the world already sell Gigabit over just GPON but the next step into the 3, 4, 5 Gbps services.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Jan-19 13:18:53
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

The next stage is when you confuse yourself as well, believe me it happens!

Hell yeah !

{though your post appears to be missing an ‘sh’ towards the end}

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Jan-19 13:57:33
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
For the vast majority of people the optimum placement of access points in their home is impossible with a combined router.

How do you know this? Have you personally visited every home to see where folks keep their router? Or perhaps you've done a YouGov survey on this? Please do share your source.

I would also say most people would not be happy with such a huge monstrosity in their living room

Again how do you know this? Perhaps you're assuming everyone thinks like you?

In general one or more UniFi AC LR's for example are a much better recommendation.

Why on God's earth would I use a 2x2 stream wifi access point (UniFi AC LR) when my current setup gives me 3 radios, each on 4x4 streams enclosed in a single "ugly" box which reach every nook & cranny of the home with speeds of >250 Mbps? Its a bit like trading in your Mercedes for a Ford Ka. You should really consider what's under the hood of hardware, not just the brand name

I will also be getting security updates long after your consumer device has been hung out to dry by the manufacture too. Something I consider very important.

Well, I haven't had my home network/router hacked yet so clearly the router software is doing its job. If consumer routers were getting hacked too frequently then I'm sure Tim Higgins on SmallNetBuilder.com would be advising everyone NOT to use a consumer router and instead spend £1000s on commercial grade routers with updates released every 2 mins.

You clearly don't realise/can't accept that people have different setups/requirements wrt hardware. What may work for one person doesn't mean it will work for another. What one person may consider "ugly", another person may think differently.

My main requirement is to have full wifi coverage in my home using the least amount of hardware. Ideally not screwed onto ceilings/walls, except CP equipment such as the Openreach ONT of course. Nothing in my home is connected by ethernet cable - everything is wireless, even the DECT VOIP phones connect by wifi using a plug-in Range Extender as they have ethernet ports only (no wifi built-in).

I want the hardware to easily cope with 40+ wifi devices connected simultaneously, cope with multiple 4K streams and allow me to prioritize bandwidth so that our VOIP phones get the highest priority and Mr Teenager's P2P downloads get the lowest priority. Given my environment - a relatively new 2 storey home with thin walls - I can get away with using a single 4x4 stream, tri-band router (Linksys EA9500v2) connected directly to the ONT. Perhaps if I lived in a larger house with 1 metre thick walls then yes, I would need access points/router but there's no way I would go around sticking access points on ceilings - primarily because i like to upgrade my hardware every few years. I would probably go for a high end wireless mesh system such as the Ubiquiti Amplifi or use another 4x4 router as an access point.

To give you an idea of how well my current setup performs: My work PC is upstairs at the far end of the house, has an Asus PCE-AC88 4x4 wifi card installed and this connects at 2.1 Gbps to the router. Real-world performance is nowhere near that but its close to 1 Gbps which is very good for a wifi connection, ie similar to a wired 1GbE connection. There's no way I would be getting that sort of wifi perfomance with a inferior UniFi AC LR access point. Even Ubiquiti's highest spec wifi access point (UniFi AP HD) only offers link rates of up to 1.7 Gbps on the 5Ghz band and comes with 1 x 5ghz band only.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 29-Jan-19 14:03:48)

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 29-Jan-19 14:51:46
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

jabuzzard

Mine is deliberately positioned so that children's bedrooms don't get a signal!
Keeps night time ( early morning) browsing to zero and ensure some sleep occurs! WiFi goes off at midnight downstairs as well but teenagers know how to reset the router.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 29-Jan-19 15:39:58
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I recently moved to mobile broadband, using only my phone as a wireless hotspot. My three-bedroom house is steel-framed so not ideal for wifi, but all devices obtain perfectly satisfactory internet connections wherever my phone happens to be within it.

When using ADSLx and then FTTC, similarly with all the routers and modem routers I have possessed, mainly ISP-supplied ones. In the early years of this century it did necessitate careful directional orientation of cheap modem/routers that didn't have external antennae, but that's all.

As you correctly say, all our experiences and needs differ. smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Feb-19 10:11:41
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
In reply to a post by candlerb:
Also, I think it's better not to call them "lan ports". It is true that they *are* RJ45 ethernet, but they don't connect directly to your Local Area Network. The service is delivered as PPPoE, so you connect them to the WAN port of your router (or other device which can terminate a PPPoE session)

Yeah I know Openreach based FTTP lines services require authentication (PPPoE), which I guess means the "LAN" port on the ONT is technically a RJ45 WAN port.

I see Openreach calls the RJ45 ports as LAN1, LAN2 etc on their older (1st gen?) ONT:

https://i.postimg.cc/yYLPvTtW/OLD-ONT.jpg

But the newer 4 port ONT just has PORT1, PORT2 etc:

https://i.postimg.cc/15FmKWfr/NEW-ONT.jpg

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 01-Feb-19 10:50:45)

Standard User busterboy
(member) Wed 13-Nov-19 21:07:36
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by busterboy:
In reply to a post by max360:
I've just done a speed test just now. I'm not even getting half the download speed anymore. Upload speed is okay.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/7991735400
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15486033593...

Is there issue at the head end or is this congestion on the BT network?

I thought if you paid for the 330/50 package you were guaranteed 330/50 on FTTP.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

This was back in January when you were not getting half what you should be getting at the time.

How has it been since after 10 months of service.?

BTBroadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to