General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Dash
(regular) Thu 21-Mar-19 15:03:17
Print Post

FoD query

[link to this post]

Hi, I'm interested in FTTP and am currently on FTTC - I live in a fairly uninteresting town that hasn't attracted major FTTP schemes. There is no cable in the area. A new housing estate next to me has native-fibre, but with a partnership and not Openreach, so I think their choice of ISPs are... limited.

It seems from reading through the masses of posts on here, Cerberus is the only provider of FoD? I'm with Zen currently, so I assume I'd have to switch. What's their service like? I've got fixed /29 ipv4 and fixed /48 ipv6 from Zen, including DNAME for IPv6 DNS PTR.

I appreciate that FoD is more expensive, and the install costs are high, and I can entertain this up to a point (I'm assuming that G.Fast or native fibre will rock up at "normal prices" in the next ten years one way or the other, but probably closer to ten). What I'm not clear of is what impacts the costs of FoD install - i.e is it worth me pursing any further.

My house is a 6-home cul-de-sac built in 2008 and has a BT pavement cover at the start of our street where all the house's under-ground lines are connected. This then runs for a half a mile around the streets, underground, to my green cabinet (i.e. nowhere near my house). Is the distance from the green cabinet going to make it eye-watering, or the fact that you can blow a piece of string into my house from the pavement hole going to make it dirt cheap?

Thanks for your thoughts folks.
Standard User brookheather
(regular) Thu 21-Mar-19 15:10:44
Print Post

Re: FoD query

[re: Dash] [link to this post]

FTTPoD costs depend on distance to Ag Node not FTTC cabinet - it may be closer or further away. Costs are likely to be in the thousands but you may be able to claim £2,500 Gigabit voucher if you have a business registered to the house. Your first port of call is to ask Cerberus for a free desktop quote - come back to the forum once you have this cost for advice. You may want to speak to your neighbours to see if they are interested in contributing to your install costs as they will probably be enabled for native FTTP as part of your installation.

PlusNet FTTC 80/20 + Cerberus FTTPoD 330/30
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Thu 21-Mar-19 15:59:36
Print Post

Hi

The distance that is important is the distance to the nearest aggregation point, this is a place where fibres spread out for connecting elsewhere, for example to individual FTTC cabinets. Sometimes the nearest one may just be at your cabinet, but often they are somewhere else, and may even be closer to you than your cabinet. Even then people get charged different prices for similar distances, as it isn't just about the distance alone.

The only way to get an idea is to get a desktop quote, this is free, takes a couple of weeks usually. As the advice already given, pop back here with that detail for some possible guides to what it may end up costing, however there is often seemingly, to us anyway, no logic to the actual cost when you have the survey done as there are many variables. The only almost certainty is the cost will be less than the desktop quote as they seem to over-estimate those, sometimes considerably so. The full survey to get an actual quote would cost you £300, you get that taken off the total install cost if you go ahead, but if you decide not to go ahead you lose the £300.00.

Also don't expect this to be a fast process, at the moment surveys are being queued up and it may take many weeks before the order is even placed for the survey to Openreach,then you have to wait for an appointment and so on.

Regards

Phil

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Dash
(regular) Fri 22-Mar-19 09:28:53
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

I've submitted a request to Cerberus, will update once I get a desktop quote.

It seems strange that this is the only ISP that is handling FoD?
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Mar-19 10:07:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Dash:
I've submitted a request to Cerberus, will update once I get a desktop quote.

It seems strange that this is the only ISP that is handling FoD?

Cerberus arenít the only FoD supplier. There are others such as FluidOne, Amvia, Syscomm and Spectrum Internet, though the latter only serves selected exchanges in S Wales & SW England.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 22-Mar-19 10:40:18
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

It is also a small volume solution, hence why smaller business focussed providers are the ones.

The fastest broadband speeds while popular in terms of people shouting about it are often not that popular when people are asked to pay, hint look at the proportion of people buying fastest speed tier on things like Virgin Media.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Dash
(regular) Mon 01-Apr-19 13:32:20
Print Post

I've had the desktop quote back at £5,500 plus VAT. Distance is ~500m which incidentally, is about the distance to the green-cabinet, and whilst I appreciate that aggregation nodes aren't necessarily in the same place, it seems likely they're close in this situation!

Six properties are likely to be the six properties in my cul-de-sac.

As there is fibre delivered to the cabinet at the end of my street (< 20m away), I was hoping that the aggregation node would have been close. Although this cabinet wasn't fitted by OR, there was no roads being dug up, so I assume they're using the OR ducting to get there.
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Mon 01-Apr-19 13:45:04
Print Post

Hi

That's quite low for a desktop quote, and typically the fixed quote after a survey tends to be less. Aggregation nodes don't usually move closer when someone has fibre installed, everyone just connects back to the node.

It's now up to you if you want to go ahead with an actual survey, although at the moment your order will be on hold for several weeks as there is a back log, so you'll get a bit of time to change your mind after you've signed the forms

Regards

Phil
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Mon 01-Apr-19 13:56:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by Dash:
As there is fibre delivered to the cabinet at the end of my street (< 20m away), I was hoping that the aggregation node would have been close. Although this cabinet wasn't fitted by OR

Sorry, I don't understand this. What is this cabinet at the end of your street? Who owns it? What makes you think there is fibre in it?

Anyway, your FTTPoD desktop quote is already at the low end of the spectrum, so you are lucky. And if you're happy to gamble £250+VAT, you may find that the actual install price is lower again.

EDIT: of 32 people in this forum who got a desktop quote and proceeded to full survey (and were happy to share their results), yours is the third lowest. But one of the other two did end up with a higher final price.

Edited by candlerb (Mon 01-Apr-19 14:09:09)

Print Thread

Jump to