General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User alexcheap
(newbie) Tue 23-Apr-19 13:29:05
Print Post

Redundant(ish) Suppliers - FTTC

[link to this post]

Hello Knowledgeable people,

I am considering taking about a second connection and i wanted as far as possible to have some level of redundancy, both connections will be FTTC to the same exchange so realise it will not be ideal the main benefit is we need more capacity but some added redundancy would be nice. (We cant get virgin)

I have been told there are only a small underlying number of providers we are currently with XLN does anyone know how i work out what supplier is 'different' from XLN ?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Apr-19 13:50:05
Print Post

Re: Redundant(ish) Suppliers - FTTC

[re: alexcheap] [link to this post]

First you need to find out which backhaul network your XLN service is using

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User alexcheap
(newbie) Tue 23-Apr-19 13:57:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,

Is there an easy way to do this for XLN and then other providers so i can find one that is on a different 'backhaul' ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Apr-19 15:00:07
Print Post

Usually a case of wait for someone who knows to pop up.

NOTE: Even when you know it is not uncommon for providers to swap backhaul providers.

What you probably want to do is.

1. FTTC via a BT Wholesale based supplier
2. FTTC via a LLU operator

A better more redundant solution if don't need all the speed on the back up is an ADSL2+ line, or consider costs of using 4G if signal is OK in area

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 23-Apr-19 15:27:21
Print Post

Maybe post a tracert to bbc.co.uk? That can give us a clue.

Also what ISP does a thinkbroadband speed test report on the graph? XLN or some other?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. BQM
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 23-Apr-19 15:39:25
Print Post

alexcheap

As a customer you could always ask them what backhaul they use at your exchange. ( May be different at different exchanges).
Standard User alexcheap
(newbie) Tue 30-Apr-19 15:18:04
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Hello Everyone,

Sorry i didn't see the email notifications for the replies.

Thanks to everyone who's chipping in here its been super helpful all round. We current have 4g backup which is not as fast as FTTC so thats the reason we are ruling that one out, also in terms of truly unlimited upload / download caps its quite expensive.

Like i said earlier the main reason for getting a second connection is to increase available bandwidth but some redundancy would be nice.

Ive asked XLN and they ware able to help me they are LLU and the equipment is not openreach at the exchange ( its talk talk business ).

So then i guess that leads me to does anyone then know who the best FTTC openreach based providers are ?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 30-Apr-19 16:18:15
Print Post

All FTTC is Openreach based, including XLN. I expect you are thinking of BT Wholesale. Also LLU broadband does not exist on FTTC, though LLU line rental for the copper between the premises and the cabinet can. Whether it does I have my doubts.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. BQM
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 30-Apr-19 16:21:45)

Standard User alexcheap
(newbie) Wed 01-May-19 12:32:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks the plot thickens !

Im increasingly doubting ill be able to work this out smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 01-May-19 13:03:39
Print Post

TalkTalk Business means your data at the handover exchange jumps onto the TalkTalk backhaul network.

So buying from someone who is BT Wholesale based or perhaps Sky (their own backhaul network) is what you want.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to