General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bigyinuk
(newbie) Mon 20-May-19 17:37:01
Print Post

Master socket in a bad place - need to extend

[link to this post]

Hi

I live in a rented property so can't hack holes in walls etc, and also it would be very difficult to move the BT master socket to where I need it in the front room.

The connection is 60mbps FTTC

Question: - Can I used a simple telephone line cord extension to get the router into my lounge where I need it or will this have a detrimental effect on speed? I can tack this thin type cable around the skirting. Distance of cable probably 10-20m

Thanks
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Mon 20-May-19 18:23:55
Print Post

Re: Master socket in a bad place - need to extend

[re: bigyinuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bigyinuk:
I live in a rented property so can't hack holes in walls etc, and also it would be very difficult to move the BT master socket to where I need it in the front room.

The connection is 60mbps FTTC

Question: - Can I used a simple telephone line cord extension to get the router into my lounge where I need it or will this have a detrimental effect on speed? I can tack this thin type cable around the skirting. Distance of cable probably 10-20m

Yes: a modern master socket (with integrated splitter) has a separate punch-down point for extension of the router only. Run it over a regular phone wire (twisted pair) to the router/modem; crimp on an RJ11 plug or get a small RJ11 socket.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 20-May-19 18:41:27
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

That provides both broadband and phone on the extension. A filtered extension only provides phone.

If no landline phone socket is required in the lounge it will be fine, but if one is needed then the phone will need to be on a filter. If the phone (assuming there is one at all) is provided by a DECT base station at the master socket that is also fine so long as it is on a filter or filtered socket.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. BQM
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(committed) Mon 20-May-19 19:34:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hmm... I was sure that the 5C faceplate with integrated microfilter had a punchdown point inside the faceplate, specifically for a router extension. But I could be wrong.

Of course, if you want a phone point in the living room (as well as router) then you should run a normal extension, from the extension point inside the main part of the master socket, and use a microfilter at the extension.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-May-19 19:45:27
Print Post

Of course, if you want a phone point in the living room (as well as router) then you should run a normal extension, from the extension point inside the main part of the master socket, and use a microfilter at the extension.

Which will produce a bridge tap, injecting errors and eventually causing loss of speed.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-May-19 20:00:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Hmm... I was sure that the 5C faceplate with integrated microfilter had a punchdown point inside the faceplate, specifically for a router extension. But I could be wrong.

It does image of it >> here << you can see it has those new IDC connections when you push the wires through and then clamp it down.
There are connections for the line coming in, phone line for extensions as well as a data extension.

Hope that helps.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 20-May-19 20:23:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:
You have that precisely and completely the wrong way round.

The modem (within the router), always does and always has received the full signal on the line. The filter system merely removes the broadband signal from the phone socket. Otherwise your eardrums would disintegrate rapidly!

On the Openreach filtered master faceplates of all generations, the ordinary extensions from Terminals 2, 5 and sometimes 3, are phone only. There is no broadband signal on them.

Edit: To clarify, on the old NTE5 with no filtered faceplate then yes, 2 and 5 carry both. But the filtered faceplates change that. It's the telephone that has to have the broadband signal removed, not the modem that needs the phone signal removed. The modem simply ignores the phone frequencies so doesn't care.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. BQM
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 20-May-19 20:32:23)

Standard User brookheather
(member) Mon 20-May-19 20:34:57
Print Post

Theres an A and a B for a Remote Broadband Socket!
You can connect a socket dedicated to your broadband hub via a spare A and B pin, effectively delivering a filtered broadband supply to wherever you need it. This is before it gets chance to pick up interference from other devices.

https://www.telecomgreen.co.uk/home-phone-repair/bt-...

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 20-May-19 20:48:00
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brookheather:
Theres an A and a B for a Remote Broadband Socket!
You can connect a socket dedicated to your broadband hub via a spare A and B pin, effectively delivering a filtered broadband supply to wherever you need it. This is before it gets chance to pick up interference from other devices.

https://www.telecomgreen.co.uk/home-phone-repair/bt-...
Wrong. It is unfiltered. The modem doesn't need a filtered supply. Only phones do.

Whatever that chap says!

Standard User bigyinuk
(newbie) Mon 20-May-19 22:07:57
Print Post

There's no phone on the line. I was thinking of using a plug to socket extension that you can buy in the £ stores etc. Just plugging one end in the socket, run it round the room and connecting the router to the other end via the microfilter.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to