General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jayteepics
(member) Mon 20-May-19 20:14:07
Print Post

Response from VFone to my complaint

[link to this post]

I complained to Vodafone about periods of very poor performance on their Superfast 2. Testing I can get great (for me it is) results such as 55Mbps Down and 13 Mbps Up and yet at peak times like 1900 - 2300 I get tests in single figures down eg 1.5 - 6 Mbps Down.

Readint T/B users posts I thought this was an example of VF's backhaul overload/contention not sure of the correct terms.

This is what VF replied with

"I understand there could be difference in speed at peak hours for which it is important to change the channel if using WIFI and if using wired device please make sure you switch off the WIFI to get the best speed."

I gave up using VF's supplied router due to billions of FEC errors on Upload and am using my TP-Link ArcherVR600 with the channel set to auto (my thinking is this tunes to the least congested WiFi channel?) apart from a couple of security cameras which have to be on 2.4GHz, all my devices are on 5GHz or wired - I definitely don't want to turn off WiFi ever.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Some stats

Line Status: Connected
DSL Modulation Type: VDSL2
Annex Type: Annex A/L
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate(kbps) 13271 59864
Max Rate(kbps) 12816 62315
SNR Margin(dB) 5.7 6.6
Line Attenuation(dB) 28.8 15.5
Errors(pkts) 4002 131
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Mon 20-May-19 20:25:45
Print Post

Re: Response from VFone to my complaint

[re: jayteepics] [link to this post]

Check your download speeds at peak times using a wired (CAT5e) connection directly to your router - then you can safely rule out wifi issues. You don't need to turn off wifi to do this, although you should try to ensure that there aren't other devices pulling large amounts of data at the same time.

If Vodafone won't play ball, you can always change to a different provider.

BTW, corrected FEC errors are not necessarily a bad thing. FEC = Forward Error Correction; it's the job of FEC to correct small errors.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-May-19 20:52:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by jayteepics:
am using my TP-Link ArcherVR600 with the channel set to auto (my thinking is this tunes to the least congested WiFi channel?)

No!! 'Auto channel' wifi setting on pretty much all routers doesn't work properly, the router may well put you on a clear channel at first but there's a very high chance it will become stuck on that channel forever. You should really be selecting a wifi channel manually. If you're not in a heavily congested wifi environment then give channel 6 on 2.4ghz and channel 44 on 5ghz bands a try, or even one of the high power DFS channels on the 5ghz band (> 100). Otherwise use something like Acrylic Wifi software to determine the least congested wifi channels in your area.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 20-May-19 20:53:33)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adrenalize_
(learned) Tue 21-May-19 09:16:53
Print Post

If you consistently test using ethernet cable and get poor results especially at peak then it is more than likely that you are suffering from the Vodafone network performing poorly. Certain links in their network can get congested and they suffered from a particular issue with streaming/single stream downloads from Dec 2018, although they did some work to fix this in March 19. The thinkbroadband statistic do also show some improvement in this month's figures.

Customer experience of tech support can be disappointing with some odd answers and commonly they will say they've checked and the speed is OK (although they are looking at sync speed not throughput).

Are you a new customer? Are you still within the minimum contract period?

If you are new do consider the 30 day period in which you can leave without penalty.

If you are within contact how long left - you can always ask customer service how much your early termination charge is.

Follow the tech support route, but also consider putting in a customer complaint and stay polite!
Standard User RogerGrey
(newbie) Tue 21-May-19 11:32:04
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Unfortunately even finding the best channel is only a temporary solution particularly on 2.4 GHz, in a built-up area. It only needs a neighbour to install a new router, or change their channels to sort their own coverage problems. The 2.4GHz band is just saturated in many areas, and gets more so every day.

As far as complaints to your ISP are concerned, only a speedtest with an ethernet connection has any chance of being taken seriously. Any speedtest over WiFi will be blamed on a WiFi problem, and they will probably be right.
Standard User jayteepics
(member) Tue 21-May-19 20:59:15
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

To recap I only get poor throughput during peak hours be that wired or wireless. I can happily get 55 D 12 U on both wifi and ethernet any other time.

Here is a link to a peak time wired test this evening which is reasonably representative of the half dozen wired tests I just did
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15584678444...
Standard User jayteepics
(member) Tue 21-May-19 21:01:09
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Many thanks for that I've installed Acrylic and will watch for channel clashes
Standard User jayteepics
(member) Tue 21-May-19 21:11:26
Print Post

[re: adrenalize_] [link to this post]

"My Complaint" in the title was made to VF director within first 30 days. It was both polite and indeed complimentary regarding the 55 D and 12 U I was happy to get where I live. The negative bit was about very poor ethernet performance at peak times which I suggested could be contention or a VF backhaul issue. It took 2 -3 weeks to get a response via a phone call followed by an email which I don't agree with.
In particular the suggestion to turn off WiFi !
Standard User adrenalize_
(learned) Wed 22-May-19 08:41:04
Print Post

Yeah that's about the timescales a few customers I saw on their forums and my own complaint went. The "director support" (indian call centre) or "director office" (UK) seem to pass it to tech for an answer where speed is concerned and often the reply was little more than the usual your sync speed is fine change WiFi channel etc.

Seems to be luck of the draw as to whether you are on a congested exchange/backhaul and could be a while before they do something about it.

I simply asked to leave penalty free, never really got that answered, left anyway and somehow didn't get charged the fee.
Standard User jayteepics
(member) Wed 22-May-19 21:35:10
Print Post

[re: adrenalize_] [link to this post]

Well I seemed to get the Indian call centre and the chap is awful. Won't proceed without their router so a new one is arriving tomorrow. I sent him the poor/constrained TBB test result and he claimed that simply replacing my router with their router would solve all the poor performance at peak time. I have got to get someone else to talk with.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to