General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User statah
(member) Wed 22-May-19 20:32:26
Print Post

G Fast?

[link to this post]

Bit of an odd one...Aberdeen has had the G. Fast extensions on the main cabinets for sometime (my cabinet 32 on Denburn has had one for 6+ months).

Just got to the end of my current FTTC contract and checked the checker...Openreach has the area enabled for G. Fast, however checking at an ISP level (BT, Zen etc) shows its unavailable.

It appears to be like that across the city (checked a number of addresses...)

Ideas?

Cheers,

s
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-May-19 14:07:28
Print Post

Re: G Fast?

[re: statah] [link to this post]

Openreach may flag as available before the wholesale providers.

We've not spotted G.fast live on any other cabinets (Openreach + Wholesale) so likely waiting on some capacity enhancements at the exchange (NOTE: It is possible there is a pod live somewhere on NSDEN that I've not seen yet)

Another possibility is the Openreach checker is wrong

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-May-19 16:45:38
Print Post

[re: statah] [link to this post]

Distance is also a major factor in G.FAST. If you're not currently syncing at 80Mb/s you're probably out of range of G.FAST.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Thu 23-May-19 17:09:18
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
Distance is also a major factor in G.FAST. If you're not currently syncing at 80Mb/s you're probably out of range of G.FAST.

I've seen plenty of people that have got G.fast that had a lower sync rate than 80, including my parents who had a sync rate of 65 and now enjoying a sync rate of 140 with G.fast
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-May-19 17:25:01
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

When I checked for my post earlier I did look at premises right on top of the pod.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User statah
(member) Thu 23-May-19 19:44:49
Print Post

Synced at full 80 (cab and VDSL box about 100m...visible from rear window) so should be in range. Checked properties right on top of various g fast cabinets around the city and it's the same story.

Nothing must be active yet... although they have been around the city now for many months...
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-May-19 07:51:58
Print Post

My DSL Checker say 68/19 with handback 62 and got G.Fast 184/12 with handback 152 and will not ordered G.Fast because upstream are slower than FTTC. Staying with my current FTTC with 68/19.

Edited by adslmax (Fri 24-May-19 07:53:20)

Standard User AK0086
(newbie) Fri 24-May-19 09:02:09
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

I'll add my tale of woe with g.fast ...

Having previously dismissed it as I was worried about upload, I finally succumbed to the endless "upgrade" offers from BT and my install date was yesterday. I was previously getting 67/18 on VDSL. BT estimate for the order was 137-138 down, 13-26 up. The dslchecker website rather more optimistic at 203-232 up, 14.5-33.4 down (clean line). I'm ~250m from the cabinet following the road, so the BT estimate seemed more realistic, but I'd have taken that, especially if the upload was similar to what I currently had.

The Openreach engineer was very helpful, and after a bit of resistance had agreed to swap my (unwanted) BT-supplied router for the Huawei MT992 modem. Things were going well.

Until he switched the line over. G.fast connection showed as 80 down, 8 up at the master socket. He then tested outside where the cable enters the house. 101/9. Then followed at least an hour of checking other available pairs in the DP, until he finally found a line that seemed cleaner. Connected it all up and ... wouldn't even sync.

Clearly that was the end of it for any chance of g.fast working. He reckoned the line length was showing as around 320m, so it was always going to need some good luck. Hence back to VDSL.

Unfortunately, the real kicker is that having swapped my line to a supposedly cleaner one (which didn't sync at all with g.fast whereas my original line did), my VDSL connection is only getting around 49/10. At this point I think the Openreach engineer had had enough (he'd been there over 3 hours) so just gave the "give it a couple of days it should improve speed" [censored] and legged it.

Now I have the fun of going through the BT faults route to get the VDSL speed sorted. Call last nigh ended with "give it 3 or 4 days and if it isn't any faster then dig the home hub out so they can test on that before arranging an engineer to fix it". At least he agreed I don't need to wait the full 10 days.

So there's my cautionary tale for the day.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-May-19 09:06:44
Print Post

[re: AK0086] [link to this post]

Yeah that's why I will not go ahead with G.Fast not worth it for 250m away from the cabinet. I just knew it as Zen Internet were very helpful told me that I am better off stay with FTTC because Zen believe my G.Fast is too far and could be very low upload around 8-10Mbps rather than FTTC at 19-20Mbps. Zen told me I better wait until two/three years time for FTTP to come.

Edited by adslmax (Fri 24-May-19 09:08:32)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-May-19 09:18:41
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by robertcrowther:
In reply to a post by Andrue:

I've seen plenty of people that have got G.fast that had a lower sync rate than 80, including my parents who had a sync rate of 65 and now enjoying a sync rate of 140 with G.fast

Who undoubtedly have a slower upstream now.

It's not a hard and fast rule by any means but for the majority if you don't get 80/20 on FTTC then G.Fast is either out of range completely or will more than likely offer a small increase in downstream with a loss of upstream.

I'll ignore the comment about seeing plenty under 80/20 who have G.Fast. The take-up is dire.
I couldn't even say "I've seen plenty with G.Fast."
God knows where you're seeing so many at the very end of the range.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to