General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nomisco
(learned) Wed 26-Jun-19 10:25:17
Print Post

Should I raise a fault?

[link to this post]

Short version. Was with BT for FTTC since about 2013 to 2017. Initially I had a max throughput rate but was unable to see line stats due to a locked modem. I am approximately 200 metres from the cabinet.

When I left BT in 2017 I was syncing in the region of 63Mb/s.

I went to TalkTalk who I am still with now. Over the last 18 months with them my speed has gone from this 63 to 48Mb/s as of now.

My current line stats (all I can see in the modem) are 18dB downstream and SNR of 6dB.

Logging into my TalkTalk account on their website, it suggests that my speed should be between 49 and 69Mb/s. They are 'suggesting' there is a problem.

As I am still around 200 metres from the cabinet, should I raise a ticket?

The reason that this is important now is that I may well re-contract with TalkTalk, but as they're (probably automatically) using my current line stats as part of the contract, they're guaranteeing a minimum connection speed of only 32Mb/s.

Advice please.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 26-Jun-19 10:30:38
Print Post

Re: Should I raise a fault?

[re: nomisco] [link to this post]

18dB - whioch is probably the attenuation, would normally give around high 60s sync speed. Subject to noise levels, cable size/guage &c, so your 63 Mbps could have been about right.

However, 18dB does look high for a typical 200m line, I would have been expecting down at 10-12 dB, so are you sure of teh length. Have you measured straight line, or by road, or by following pole and allow for cabinet to DSLAM distance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User nomisco
(learned) Wed 26-Jun-19 10:57:42
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I've measured straight line on Google maps. However (and I know these things aren't that logical), the cabinet is directly at the end of my straight road.

Coupled with the fact that I used to get a throughput of about 9.5MB/s to start with. I maintained this speed for about a year after install.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Jun-19 11:04:59
Print Post

If this is an ECI cabinet or Huawei where vectoring is not turned on, then it might just be the result of bad cross talk

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nomisco
(learned) Wed 26-Jun-19 11:07:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have the old ECI BTOR modem, whether that suggests that the cabinet is also ECI I don't know?

Is crosstalk on a relatively short line really going to be that bad?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Jun-19 11:15:13
Print Post

Nope, just luck of the draw as to which brand of VDSL modem you were supplied with.

Standard User nomisco
(learned) Wed 26-Jun-19 11:33:54
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I'm currently using a Netgear DM200. I've ordered one of the Huawei original OR modems unlocked from eBay. I'll give that a try.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Jun-19 13:19:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by nomisco:
I've measured straight line on Google maps. However (and I know these things aren't that logical), the cabinet is directly at the end of my straight road.

Coupled with the fact that I used to get a throughput of about 9.5MB/s to start with. I maintained this speed for about a year after install.
A throughput of 9.5MB/s ? =76mbps If your sync was only 63mbps impossible even if you had the max Possible sync rate of 80mbps you would be lucky to squeeze 76mbps ,and very unlikely if using BT Wholesale back haul Due to their IP profile the highest is 77.35, so minus TCP overheads your looking at 74-75mbps which is the max i have ever seen throughput wise

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 26-Jun-19 13:20:27)

Standard User nomisco
(learned) Wed 26-Jun-19 13:43:30
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Sorry you've misunderstood. When I was first connected I was seeing 9.5MB/s for about the first year.

By the time I left BT it was down to about 63Mbps. It has since degraded with TalkTalk to 48Mbps.

Obviously all of these speeds are unrelated to the ISP.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 26-Jun-19 18:06:08
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I can probably find a lot of my speedtests with 75+ Mbps it is not impossible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to