General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Thu 11-Jul-19 09:21:25
Print Post

Community Fibre

[link to this post]

Anyone on here on Community Fibre?

They have fitted the box on the end of our small block of maisonettes (Southwark Council) and laid cables to the outside of each premises, and I don't know whether to take up the offer of their service or just wait for BTOR to change the ECI cabinet to a Huawei one and hope for my speeds to go back up to what they were when I first took out FTTC --- Used to be 78/20 now 56/18

Bob WRBRIX
PN Unl.Extra Fibre - TP-Link VR2600
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway to CIX, ADSL to Nildram, SKY & Be*Unlimited, Fibre to BT http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/049baa48c1f...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Jul-19 09:32:13
Print Post

Re: Community Fibre

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

Speeds will be a lot higher on community fibre and you get symmetric without the hassle of VDSL2

Who has said your ECI cabinet is going to be changed for a Huawei one? Current trials are to change just 200 out of the 25,000 across the UK and then decide what to do with the rest

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Jul-19 11:28:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by The_Voyager:
I don't know whether to take up the offer of their service or just wait for BTOR to change the ECI cabinet to a Huawei one and hope for my speeds to go back up to what they were when I first took out FTTC --- Used to be 78/20 now 56/18

That could be a very long wait, or even never. It's only a 200 cabinet trial at the moment.

I'd go with Community Fibre.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hvis42
(regular) Thu 11-Jul-19 12:41:37
Print Post

As already mentioned, no one knows what and when and where Openreach will do their upgrades. There is also no particular reason to believe the decrease in your experienced speed would disappear with a new cabinet. There might be a slight fault in the line or they have done something else that causes the speed drop. Or something in your building or even at your home.

Why not give Community fibre a try while you wait? Their 200/200 connection for £35 seems to be something I would be interested in - Hyperoptic charges £35 for 150/150. You'll get a symmetric connection as a bonus.

Openreach hasn't been too active in solving the internet issue in Southwark. Many are still left far behind with their EO lines. Hyperoptic and Community fibre have cabled many blocks of flats while Openreach has done very little. Waiting for Openreach FTTP or a random cabinet upgrade might be a lengthy wait. Unless there is a particular reason to stick with your current ISP, give Community Fibre a try and then switch back if you'd rather be in OR network as soon as something better is available.
(committed) Thu 11-Jul-19 20:35:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for you input, Nobody said anything about the changeover from ECI - only what I have read from TB, and yes I understood it could be quite a while and that they were going to trial about 200 cabs, but you never can tell, mine might have been one of the 200 smile

Bob WRBRIX
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway to CIX, ADSL to Nildram, SKY & Be*Unlimited, Fibre to BT http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/049baa48c1f...
(committed) Thu 11-Jul-19 20:45:38
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thanks for your input, I'm hoping that someone who actually has Community Fibre comes along with more info, as I do know that Hyperoptic who were going to be doing our block have had some problems and that is why Community Fibre stepped in.

Bob WRBRIX
(committed) Thu 11-Jul-19 20:57:32
Print Post

[re: hvis42] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hvis42:
As already mentioned, no one knows what and when and where Openreach will do their upgrades. There is also no particular reason to believe the decrease in your experienced speed would disappear with a new cabinet. There might be a slight fault in the line or they have done something else that causes the speed drop. Or something in your building or even at your home.

Why not give Community fibre a try while you wait? Their 200/200 connection for £35 seems to be something I would be interested in - Hyperoptic charges £35 for 150/150. You'll get a symmetric connection as a bonus.

Openreach hasn't been too active in solving the internet issue in Southwark. Many are still left far behind with their EO lines. Hyperoptic and Community fibre have cabled many blocks of flats while Openreach has done very little. Waiting for Openreach FTTP or a random cabinet upgrade might be a lengthy wait. Unless there is a particular reason to stick with your current ISP, give Community Fibre a try and then switch back if you'd rather be in OR network as soon as something better is available.

The highlighted bit above is what caused the big drop, those idiots that BTOR farm the work out to caused the first drop, and a BTOR engineer disconnected my line the second time, I actually caught him after he did it, he was still working in the small chamber that supplies the block and I told him that he had cut me off, he denied it of course but I was without service for 8 days and not an apology or compo received, PN didn't help much either.

I was actually looking at the full 1GB service £50/m normal/£40/m because I pre-registered but assume the latter is only for the first year. Also there is a difference in the way that VOIP is used, Hyperoptic you connect the phone to the supplied router for £1/m extra, with CF you have to go through the hassel of getting a box from Vonage for about £9/m, don't know enough about Vonage to see if it is worthwhile transferring my number over to them

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User hvis42
(regular) Fri 12-Jul-19 10:51:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by The_Voyager:
The highlighted bit above is what caused the big drop,

Then why do you expect an improvement when they change something in the cabinet if the problem is elsewhere?

I gave up my landline when I moved to Hyperoptic and haven't missed it at all but of course your situation might be different. I thought it might be a hassle with banks etc. but I haven't encountered any problems. Just a thought. £9/month buys you a lot of mobile phone minutes to call to service numbers not included in your plan.
Standard User Mygri
(member) Fri 12-Jul-19 15:12:29
Print Post

Fwiw I've been with Vonage for just short of a year now, and so far it has been painless; I reckon they are worthy of serious consideration. In my case I've gone with the £15 package because we do a lot of calls to mobile numbers, and a major consideration was to be able to use the same handsets that my wife is familiar with. ( Not that she's a technophobe of course.)

The main consideration is getting the sequence right if you want to port your existing number. Keep the ADSL service running until you're satsfied that all is well with your FTTP service, then order the VOIP service, including porting of your number. Vonage will assign a temporary 03 number while the porting goes ahead, and the tranfer will cease your ADSL service.

It worked, and continues to work, very well for me.

Good Luck
(committed) Fri 12-Jul-19 15:45:58
Print Post

[re: Mygri] [link to this post]

That's great, I don't use the landline much for outgoing calls, but a lot of my contacts do not have my mobile number so call me on the landline, will do as you suggest.

Bob WRBRIX
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to