General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Jul-19 09:46:28
Print Post

No choice other than BT on FTTP?

[link to this post]

I've spoken/overheard people say this a few times recently. Typically they have moved into a new build and claim that they have no choice of provider other than BT. Surely this isn't true? They have to use a service provided over openreach infrastructure but there are several alternative providers available.

If this is a common false impression that people are getting I don't think Ofcom would be too amused.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Plexis
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-19 09:51:16
Print Post

Re: No choice other than BT on FTTP?

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

The number of FTTP providers is much smaller than offering FTTC, so whilst its not true that its only BT offering it, they are the biggest name offering it.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Fri 12-Jul-19 10:50:44
Print Post

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages/fibre-broadband

Under "advanced filters" you can limit technology to just FTTP. There is much less choice than FTTC, but there certainly is some. Sky are rumoured to be launching FTTP soon.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acting_funny
(member) Fri 12-Jul-19 10:51:34
Print Post

only recently since the ultrafast launch have other ISPs started to price-match BT on FTTP, before there was really no competitor with infinity 3/4 so it makes sense people not keeping tabs on the industry arn't aware.

i know zen will provide an arguably better service with a static IP and 6month less contract on 150/330mb, and the rumour sky will be offering ultrafast by the end of the year is still going around.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jul-19 10:53:06
Print Post

In terms of household (as in seen a TV advert) it is just BT but if you look there are more

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages/fttp-broadband

This is Openreach FTTP based packages, i.e. question asked enough we set up a short cut link

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Jul-19 11:06:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrue:
Typically they have moved into a new build and claim that they have no choice of provider other than BT.

This misinformation will most likely be down to the developer telling their customers that BT is their only option on FTTP. Openreach may need to educate developers better by making it very clear that there is a choice of ISPs available on their FTTP platform, by including it in the builders pack/handbook.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User DougM
(committed) Fri 12-Jul-19 11:12:22
Print Post

Openreach keeps this updated with consumer and commercial providers that offer services over their network:

http://openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fttp-providers

I shared this with my development's residents group when folks started to complain they were locked-in to BT. A number since moved over to Zen and AAISP, others are waiting for Sky to launch their Openreach-backed FTTP service. Personally I'm very happy with BT Retail, but a choice is good.

-==-
DougM
Standard User asaproki
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-19 11:31:42
Print Post

Re: No choice other than BT on FTTP? *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron

Edited by asaproki (Fri 12-Jul-19 11:32:41)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 12-Jul-19 11:48:19
Print Post

[re: asaproki] [link to this post]

What's that link for? Spam?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jul-19 12:54:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No question that it is considered spam

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to