For the last 3,4 (maybe longer) years, my parents have had a fairly reasonable sync speed, 38-42 down, 7-8 up.
In April this year, there was a re-sync and the upstream was around 4.5. I put this down to some freak noise event, and later in the day re-synced but then it only improved to just under 6, which was annoying but not really worth doing anything about.
This is the bit loading from April after it degraded the first time
Then on Saturday came another re-sync in the middle of the day, this time to a paltry 2.6 upstream, whilst the downstream is still fine at 40. I've tried a couple of re-syncs since but the upstream hasn't budged from 2.6.
This is the bit loading now
You can see the 2nd upstream band has been suppressed compared to April. My firsts thoughts were a noise source but then I'd expect to see more of a bandpass affecting the surrounding downstream bands but they don't seem to have changed noticeably. The upstream margin is still 6 dB as it was in April (downstream is 3dB)
This is the dsl checker output, so the downstream is performing better than expected whilst the upstream is half the expected minimum.
Even stranger, I noticed that today the NTEFaceplate line has changed from 'N' to 'P'. When i checked at the weekend with test date 03-07-2019, it was still 'N', as it always has been.
According to https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/07/bt-who... 'P' would imply no voice service on the line, which there is...